Is the Micro Carry .380 a reliable firearm to be used as a CCW? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #1

Is the Micro Carry .380 a reliable firearm to be used as a CCW?

I sent my Micro Carry .380 to Kimber on 12-12-16 to address multiple failures to eject and occasional failures to lock the slide back on the last round. This is the 2nd time this firearm has been to Kimber for warranty work for essentially the same issues. The first time, it came back after 6-7 weeks with no explanation as to what work was done. I do know they put in the new guide rod and flat wound spring, which helped, but did not make the gun run 100%. I am not a real happy camper, especially with my warranty year expiring soon. I have fired 1400 rounds through it with pretty poor results for a weapon I purchased for concealed carry. An old Taurus fished out of a pond may have better reliability than this Kimber! Has anyone been able to put 1000 rounds through one of these without a failure of any kind? Are they a repeat of the Solo disaster? Is it easy to find a new home for them or are they gaining a bad reputation for reliability and tough to resell?
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #2

I just received my new one today. I sure hope I escape all the problems others have had. The gun looks to be well made and in good shape. I've cleaned it well (but not the firing pin channel) and expect it to perform perfectly at the range this weekend.

It kinda makes me sick to read stories like yours but they are reality. If mine turns out to be problematic, I'll never buy another Kimber, and will move to the Sig P938 (or maybe some plastic striker fired gizmo). I think the .380 is a bit under-powered, anyway. The Kimber will become an alternative for the wife to shoot at the range.

If the Micro deems to be reliable, I'll be carrying it... but it has to shoot mag after mag reliably for that to happen. Mi Ruger SR9 does, so does the wife's Beretta PX4.

Last edited by DallasCMT; 01-04-2017 at 10:05 PM.
DallasCMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #3

I've got about 1500 rnds through my micro 380. Since the factory sent me a heavier recoil spring and guide rod it's been a very reliable pistol. Too bad I can't manage to purchase replacement springs, they always seem to be out of stock.

I've found that without heavy oil on top of the lower the top of the aluminum lower gets burred up pretty bad.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #4

John, what do you mean by "on top of the lower"?

Thanks
DallasCMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:53 AM   #5

I think he is referring to the upper frame rails on the frame portion of the pistol. I have noticed the same thing. It will mar up the aluminum a little bit. Keep them wet with oil !
Oreste likes this.
Trump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #6

Since my out of the box failure to return to battery issue I have put about 1500 to 2000 rounds with literally not issues. Only a rare slide locking back with ammo still in the mag. A quick hit on the lock release and you hardly notice the interrurption.
That was with the old spring recoil mechanism. I just installed the new flat spring and guide rod but have not shot it since. Sure it will work out.
Just get it adjusted. It is an incredibly accurate, smooth shooting gun.

I had a Solo. The issues with this gun are no where near the issues and unreliabily to the Solo. When the Micro is tuned it. It shoots and keeps on shooting. At least in my experience.
Good luck.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I've found that without heavy oil on top of the lower the top of the aluminum lower gets burred up pretty bad.
Originally Posted by Trump1 View Post
I think he is referring to the upper frame rails on the frame portion of the pistol. I have noticed the same thing. It will mar up the aluminum a little bit. Keep them wet with oil !
I'm trying to understand what you're saying, can you post some pictures of this condition?

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

Oreste - Thanks for your report. It gives me a glimmer (but not much more than that) of hope Kimber will repair my .380 so it functions as reliably as yours. Given the volume of problems I have read about on this forum, I am not real hopeful.

As an aside, I told the gal at Kimber that since they had my .380 for 6-7 weeks the first time it was in for warranty work and will probably have it another 6-7 weeks this time, would Kimber extend the warranty since they have had it in their possession about 3 out of the 12 months it is under warranty? She assured me Kimber would take care of me!!! We'll see about that. I hope I do not have to return it again. I can put up with the occasional failures to lock back on the last round fired, but not the failures to eject spent rounds. A firearm that costs as much as this should be able to function pretty much flawlessly regardless of what type of ammo you run through it. And yes, I am cleaning and oiling it properly, no limp wristing, no super cheap Russian ammo, or reloads, etc.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Oreste - Thanks for your report. It gives me a glimmer (but not much more than that) of hope Kimber will repair my .380 so it functions as reliably as yours. Given the volume of problems I have read about on this forum, I am not real hopeful.

As an aside, I told the gal at Kimber that since they had my .380 for 6-7 weeks the first time it was in for warranty work and will probably have it another 6-7 weeks this time, would Kimber extend the warranty since they have had it in their possession about 3 out of the 12 months it is under warranty? She assured me Kimber would take care of me!!! We'll see about that. I hope I do not have to return it again. I can put up with the occasional failures to lock back on the last round fired, but not the failures to eject spent rounds. A firearm that costs as much as this should be able to function pretty much flawlessly regardless of what type of ammo you run through it. And yes, I am cleaning and oiling it properly, no limp wristing, no super cheap Russian ammo, or reloads, etc.
I know how you feel Panzer, my Solo started great and went down hill from there to the point I bought a sig P938. My experience with the 2 Kimber fire arms just really makes me question the research and development and testing before these guns go to market. I find it disappointing that such expensive and supposedly quality guns have such a rash of consistent problems. As you said about your fire arms, I also have a PX4 with close to 7000 perfect rounds through it and my Sig 938 with 2000 perfect rounds as well as my little cheap LCP.
I think upper management needs to look into their design or production control. As for myself, I really don't think I could buy another Kimber based on my personal experience.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
As an aside, I told the gal at Kimber that since they had my .380 for 6-7 weeks the first time it was in for warranty work and will probably have it another 6-7 weeks this time, would Kimber extend the warranty since they have had it in their possession about 3 out of the 12 months it is under warranty? She assured me Kimber would take care of me!!! We'll see about that.
Kimbers written warranty and what they actually do are two different things. I know people that have returned used guns they bought to the factory for service and had them worked on for free. One friend had a second hand 4 year old Kimber he returned for a part replacement. Not only did they replace the part for free they refinished the gun so it looked like new...... no charge for anything.
Oreste and Fredneck72 like this.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
kimber advocate recoil spring

kimber micro 380 recoil spring issues

micro rapter vs p238
Click on a term to search for related topics.