Micro 380 Range Report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #1

Micro 380 Range Report

Got to the range with my Micro Two Tone - before I went I field stripped it, wiped it clean, and oiled it per spec. I used Hoppe's gun oil with a needle dispenser. The gun was received in perfect condition and all parts seemed to fit well. You can see photos of it posted last week in the "Post Your Micro Carry Pictures" thread.

I was in a hurry to leave the house (wife was headed out as well) I forgot the darn 6-round magazine. So all I shot was the 7-round mag which I had bought new, with the gun.

In each case I loaded the magazine with 7 rounds. If the slide was locked back, I released it with the slide release. If it was not locked back, I chambered a round by pulling the slide back and releasing it.

The ammo I brought with me, shot in order of perceived quality:
  • Monarch (Academy), 94g, FMJ round point
  • Remington UMC, 95g, FMJ round point
  • Sig Sauer Elite Performance, 100g, FMJ flat point
  • Hornady American Gunner, 90g, XTP hollow point
  • Hornady Critical Defense, 90g, FTX filled hollow point

Monarch - fired seven magazines
  • Four mags had no issues
  • Three mags had a failure to lock back the slide

Remington - fired four magazines
  • Two mags had no issues
  • Two mags had a failure to lock back the slide
  • Last mag also failed to eject round #6, causing a jam

Sig Sauer - fired five magazines
  • Two mags had no issues
  • Three mags had a failure to lock back the slide

Hornady American Gunner - fired two magazines
  • Both mags had a failure to lock back the slide
  • The last mag also failed to eject round #6, causing a jam

Hornady Critical Defense - fired one magazine
  • The mag had a failure to lock back the slide

So out of 19 magazines, 133 rounds, I had:
  • 11 emptied magazines that failed to lock back the slide
  • 2 rounds that failed to eject, causing a jam

The gun was a pleasure to shoot, and seemed accurate with all ammo. I was having some sight issues - I wear mono-vision contact lenses and was having issues seeing the sights AND target clearly at the same time, but at 7 yards it was not bad.

I cleaned the gun with Break-Free CLP afterwards and was amazed at how dirty it became. I also used the same CLP as a lubricant, I hope this works out okay.

I did notice some heavy friction on the slide rail right where the slide release pin goes through the gun. It was black, caked, and dried onto the top of the frame's slide, and I had to scrub it for several minutes to remove it. I sense that the slide was dragging on this spot, causing additional friction which caused the two FTE's.

I'm not too concerned about the slide not locking back on the last round with the 7-round mag. I hear this is common with that mag - but still, it's not good. I regret not trying the 6-round mag, I expect it to do much better.

Bill for size reference, offhand with no rest:

Last edited by DallasCMT; 01-08-2017 at 11:32 PM.
DallasCMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #2

Great detailed range report DallasCMT !

Nothing to be alarmed about IMO. I experienced some similiar issues on my first range trip with the Micro 380. I did end up adjusting the extractor for the failure to extract issues and that seemed to do the trick. I want to get to the range this week and run some more ammo through it.
Jflytle and starnovi like this.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #3

Good report. I think your slide lock-back issues are follower related. I'm going to post my "fix" for this, as soon as I have time, if anyone gives a shit. I also think your gun oil choice is lacking, but that's my opinion. Not really opinion, more fact. Also realize these pistols probably require a little break in period.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

Nice shooting Dallas and not bad at all for a first time out. I'm with sawman on the break-in idea. I think 3 100 round sessions with a good cleaning in between should do it. Will be interested to find how things go with the 6 round mags?
starnovi likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #5

Originally Posted by sawman556 View Post
Good report. I think your slide lock-back issues are follower related. I'm going to post my "fix" for this, as soon as I have time, if anyone gives a shit.
Yeah, I'd like to see it.

Originally Posted by sawman556 View Post
I also think your gun oil choice is lacking, but that's my opinion. Not really opinion, more fact.
Do you mean the Hoppe's oil, or the Break-Free CLP?

I think the Hoppe's is an okay oil, but the Break-Free seems more like a cleaner. I'm open to ideas. On larger areas (like shotgun chambers and bolts) I sometimes use Rem Oil spray, but not in cold weather.

Thanks
starnovi likes this.
DallasCMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #6

DallasCMT - Excellent report on your trip to the range. I'll be looking for further reports to see how things go.

I use the Rem Oil spray too for cleaning and general lubrication. I follow it up with Outers Gun Oil on sliding parts. Sometimes I clean the bore with Hoppes #9. Not sure these are the best or worst, however.

On ammo, I think I have had the most failures to eject using flat nose range ammo like Winchester White Box and Freedom Munitions RNFP in a 7 round magazine. The last time I was at the range, I had 11 failures to eject out of 100 rounds using Freedom Munitions RNFP in a 7 round mag. This was on a clean and well oiled firearm - hence it went back to Kimber for the 2nd time.
starnovi likes this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #7

Very nice and detailed range report. Good experimentation with a variety of ammo. Expect even better results with more rounds fired.
starnovi likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #8

Wow, that's about the most detailed range report I've seen on here, very nice! I agree, seems pretty good for a first outing. Good luck and keep posting new range updates.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #9

Originally Posted by DallasCMT View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see it.

Do you mean the Hoppe's oil, or the Break-Free CLP?

I think the Hoppe's is an okay oil, but the Break-Free seems more like a cleaner. I'm open to ideas. On larger areas (like shotgun chambers and bolts) I sometimes use Rem Oil spray, but not in cold weather.

Thanks
Best stuff going:

FRICTION GUARD XP GUN OIL, 4oz - Bore Tech

EXTREME GREASE HD, 10cc SYRINGE - Bore Tech

Eliminator Bore Cleaner - Bore Tech

You can get it through midway and brownells as well. You'll throw all your other shit away.

I'll do the follower fix thing as soon as I get time. I'm finishing up an accelerated winter session college course. My final is on Friday. I'll try and get the follower fix done this weekend.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I think that people tend to over think firearm lubrication in terms of what they use. For the average guy that shoots on a regular bases, cleans and oils his gun afterwards what he uses isn't as important as the fact that he does it.

What you're using is more important on that safe queen that's going to see the light of day maybe once a year. The gun your carrying crossing the Sahara dessert or on a trip to the north pole. The one you use while visiting a rain forest or use to shoot hundreds of rounds daily in competition.

I have my grandfathers 1873 .32-20 Winchester that he bought new in 1905. That gun never saw the inside of a house during the first 25 years of it's life. It originally sat under the seat of a wagon my dad drove his 3 sisters to school in. It sat in a barn and later in the cab of their first truck. The gun was rode hard but never put away wet. From day one grampa used Hoppe's No. 9 to clean it and 3 in 1 oil to lube it. Today, 112 years later his great, great, great grandchildren still enjoy shooting that gun and I still clean it like I do all my guns with Hoppe's No. 9 and lube with the oil I have handy.

Sorry for the long winded post, the caffeine must have finally kicked in.
Tejun, Panzer and DallasCMT like this.