Micro 380 Range Report - I'm a Happy Camper Today !! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Micro 380 Range Report - I'm a Happy Camper Today !!

After installing the new VZ Grips last night, I packed up the Micro and ammo and drove over to the range during lunch break. Today I brought 50 rnds of Monarch 94 gr, 50 rnds of Remington 95 gr (both round nose ammo) and 50 rnds of WWB. Got all set up and loaded one Kimber 6 rnd mag, one Kimber 7 rnd mag and one modified Sig 7 rnd mag then fired away. Went through 50 rnds pretty quick and I'm happy to say not one single hiccup (nada, zip, zilch). Then I loaded up with the Remington ammo and went through 45 rnds with that ammo and the little pistol was still rockin and a rollin with no issues at all

Decided to give it a break and shot my new XDS 45 and that is a handful of gun right there, but not a single issue in 50 rnds of Remington round nose ammo (230 gr). Then I had a meeting (phone con) request from a client and had to cut my range visit short. Did not get to shoot any of the WWB in the Micro...... but what I did get to shoot that little sucker handled all of it superbly.

If I'd have known all I needed to do was dress it up (ie., new purdy grips) I'd have done that a long time ago
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

When breaking in a new gun you'll usually have fewer problems if you stick with FMJ round nose ammo for the first couple of hundred rounds. Sometimes you have to take the bumpy old road to get over to the super highway.
Tejun and starnovi like this.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
When breaking in a new gun you'll usually have fewer problems if you stick with FMJ round nose ammo for the first couple of hundred rounds. Sometimes you have to take the bumpy old road to get over to the super highway.
Amen to that Chuck43. Looking back, I was introducing not only different ammo, but magazines as well. My learning from this would be to start with what came with the gun. Shoot till you get consistency and then introduce something new (be it ammo or magazine) but don't do a bunch of things all at once to make it difficult to troubleshoot. I believe the two primary issues were the extractor adjustment and the spring tension on the slide stop.

Since the gun came back from Kimber still experiencing the same problems, I decided to try some things myself, before sending back, due in part to the time of year (Holiday season) as I did not want to experience any issues or delays in shipping to and getting it back from Kimber.
starnovi likes this.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

One other suggestion, when you're shooting WWB if you begin to have problems give the gun a quick cleaning. I find the stuff to be extremely dirty burning and the source of many minor problems.
Tejun likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

Great report TG but where's the pics??? C'mon man :-)
On a serious note it's hard not to like a Micro that's running well glad to hear she's getting dialed in.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #6

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Great report TG but where's the pics??? C'mon man :-)
I know, I know I got in a hurry when the client contacted me for the phone conference and skidadled out without takin any....
Old 01-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #7

Do you notice a big difference with those VZ Grips? I added SGM grips on my Micro 9 they made the pistol 100% better.
starnovi likes this.

Last edited by John Galt; 01-10-2017 at 05:47 PM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #8

Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Do you notice a big difference with those VZ Grips? I added SGM grips on my Micro 9 they made the pistol 100% better.
Hi John,
Nothing noticable as far as grip feel (I originally had Kimber's Rosewood grips), but I really like the looks of these VZ Grips.
starnovi likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #9

Glad to hear that your micro is where you want it to be now! Makes me want to go to the range and play with mine.
Tejun likes this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #10

I did get to the range with the Micro 380. 100 rounds, 3 FTFs on the 7th round. It's improving, just not 100% yet. I think it will get there.
Tejun likes this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote