Interesting Revelation - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #1

Interesting Revelation

So as most of you know, my Micro 380 went back to Yonkersville several months back with some of the well documented issues. When it returned from a spa day, I was still experiencing some of the same issues and a few new ones to boot

One of the things I noticed was the guide rod spring seemed easier to install from what I remembered before sending it back. Mine originally had the old style spring, for which Kimber sent me a new one to replace it with shortly after I got it.

It still bugged me a bit that it seemed easier to install and not as stiff when cycling the slide, so I ordered a new one a couple of weeks ago. Had to get the guide rod/spring assembly as the springs were back ordered. Well....... take a look at the pic attached

New one on top/ old one on bottom. Could it be that Kimber has two different length springs for the M380 ????

Headed to the range tomorrow with the Micro 380 and Solo, Range Report will follow..... Stay tuned !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Springs.jpg (100.5 KB, 24 views)
starnovi likes this.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

The new one could be longer because it's new. Count the coils, not that that means everything, but it's a good indication they are probably the same(if they are both flat wire). I can't tell from the picture, but if the bottom picture is a round wire spring it's probably going to be shorter. I'm running all Wolff springs(except the mainspring and slide stop spring) in my Micro. I'm not sure Kimber knows how to spring these yet which perplexes me.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

Originally Posted by sawman556 View Post
The new one could be longer because it's new. Count the coils, not that that means everything, but it's a good indication they are probably the same(if they are both flat wire). I can't tell from the picture, but if the bottom picture is a round wire spring it's probably going to be shorter. I'm running all Wolff springs(except the mainspring and slide stop spring) in my Micro. I'm not sure Kimber knows how to spring these yet which perplexes me.
They are both flat wire springs. I will count the coils tomorrow after the range trip.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

They both look to be about 18 coils which would make them the same as the one I have in my Kimber parts box.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #5

They both look to be about 18 coils which would make them the same as the one I have in my Kimber parts box.
Just went downstairs and checked the old spring and it has 18 coils also. That spring has only 150 or so rounds fired on it.

Too many glasses of wine to check the new coil (already installed on the Micro) Its tucked away in the range bag ready for tomorrow.
Marshall likes this.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #6

I'm with the Sawman on this..If the old one was already in the gun it has been compressed already and the reason why it's shorter..

Kimber only shows one size on their site...

Recoil Spring, Flat, Micro .380 ACP, (3 Pack) - Parts - Micro - Handguns
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm with the Sawman on this..If the old one was already in the gun it has been compressed already and the reason why it's shorter..

Kimber only shows one size on their site...

Recoil Spring, Flat, Micro .380 ACP, (3 Pack) - Parts - Micro - Handguns
Yep, thats what I remember from the site. The 3 pack was out of stock so I bought the guide rod / spring assembly. Figured I could always use some spare parts. After firing through some rounds, I can compare the newly installed spring to the one I just removed.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #8

See wine is your problem, switch to beer and whiskey!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #9

See wine is your problem, switch to beer and whiskey!
LOL !! Tuesday is Whiskey nite. Last night was Vodka, so I chose wine tonight to follow my cardiologist's instructions ( he's told me to drink at least two glasses a night). Had to make up for not drinking any last night
Marshall and RugerLuger like this.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #10

Originally Posted by TGLeBlanc View Post
LOL !! Tuesday is Whiskey nite. Last night was Vodka, so I chose wine tonight to follow my cardiologist's instructions ( he's told me to drink at least two glasses a night). Had to make up for not drinking any last night
Sounds about right!

[BD]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mimberbeer.jpg (497.4 KB, 13 views)