New Baby Kimber in the House - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

New Baby Kimber in the House

I brought home a Micro .380 for the wife yesterday. She has always wanted a Kimber for some reason, although I think she sees ads in fancy mags such as Garden and Gun. Hey, advertising works well on some folks

Anyhow, I'm mainly a revolver man, but I do have a Glock which I cherish for its simplicity. The operation of the Micro is a little new to me, and I have a question for you gurus out there. If carrying with a round in the chamber, is the preferred (safest for wife) method with the hammer down or cocked with the safety engaged? The owner's manual fails to address this as far as I can see. My own instinct is the hammer down method, but what do I know

Also, the manual says the return spring should have the closed end toward the back, but my spring is open on both ends. What's the deal here?

Thanks in advance!
Chuck43, Markie and starnovi like this.
Muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #2

The spring thing confused me to. I just make sure to put it back on exactly as I took it off.

The preferred method and I believe the safest is with the hammer back and the safety on. It's referred to as condition 1 or as cocked and locked. If you do a search you'll find a number of threads about it. In order to carry with the hammer down (condition 2) you have to let the hammer down on a live round which seems like an opportunity for an accidental/negligent discharge. With the Micro you can actually load, chamber, and unload/clear while on safety the whole time. Congrats on the new Micro!
Chuck43 and GRISSSE like this.
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #3

Welcome to KT from St Lou...

Locked and loaded is the way to go..As far as the spring goes you more than likely have the new flat wire replacement spring. On the early models they came with a close ended spring and with the new one it can be installed either way since they are both open..

Once you need a new recoil spring here's the link......http://store.kimberamerica.com/recoi...380-acp-3-pack

Congrats to your wife on a great little Kimber..
Chuck43 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick responses. We're having a heavy rain right now and will probably have to shoot the little pistol off the back deck. I'll instruct her to carry it with the hammer back and safety on since I've never seen the point of not keeping a round chambered in a self defense gun. However, that will take some getting used to. Like I said, I have a Glock, and I can't see the "safety", hammer or anything else. I just pull the trigger when needed
Chuck43 and Markie like this.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #5

Make sure that you take it apart and clean/lube it before the first range session....If you have never taken one apart it is quite simple to do..

Chuck43 and Markie like this.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Muley, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introduce yourself to the membership?

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #7

Yep, I took it apart last night but didn't clean it. Everything actually looked pretty good, only a little oil in the slide. I'm looking at it right now, and I must say it's an attractive piece. I got her the two tone.

I'll follow the consensus here and tell her to keep it cocked and locked.

Unfortunately I found many (too many) posts on failures of these pistols while I was reading about the carry recommendations.

As I said, the wife wanted a Kimber, but she already has a S&W "hammerless" .38 which is as reliable as a brick. I just hope this little auto doesn't fail at the wrong time.

Again, it's a beauty to look at and feels good in the hand. Aesthetics is very important to many women, my better half included.

Me, I have a Glock. Need I say anything else
Old 01-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Muley View Post
Yep, I took it apart last night but didn't clean it. Everything actually looked pretty good, only a little oil in the slide. I'm looking at it right now, and I must say it's an attractive piece. I got her the two tone.

I'll follow the consensus here and tell her to keep it cocked and locked.

Unfortunately I found many (too many) posts on failures of these pistols while I was reading about the carry recommendations.

As I said, the wife wanted a Kimber, but she already has a S&W "hammerless" .38 which is as reliable as a brick. I just hope this little auto doesn't fail at the wrong time.

Again, it's a beauty to look at and feels good in the hand. Aesthetics is very important to many women, my better half included.

Me, I have a Glock. Need I say anything else
#1...Don't believe all that you read on the www...There are too many of here on KT carrying in condition one and I can't recall one AD while using that method....

#2...{Need I say anything else ?}...Well yes you could like, "Wouldn't a gorgeous looking Kimber 1911 look great on my hip ?"....
Mini Me and DaveinNC like this.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Muley View Post
I suggest you keep it as a range gun and continue to shoot it until you have the confidence needed to carry it. I do this with all my carry guns, I usually require a minimum of 500 trouble free rounds through a gun but 500 isn't written in stone, some have taken 800 or more.
Marshall, SnowTao and Mini Me like this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #10

The only way that gun is going to fire is if the safety is off and the trigger is pulled. You also have a half notch on the hammer which will catch if the sear failed in some way. Then you have the firing pin block safety(similar to the Glock) which requires the trigger being pulled to deactivate. It's a perfectly safe pistol. Do not lower the hammer with a round in the chamber. You also might want to clean it up real good before your first range trip. And lube it really well to break it in. Save your expensive SD ammo until you get a few hundred rounds through it to break it in. Kimber says they don't require a break-in, but they're wrong.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote