How to make your Kimber Micro reliable thread. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2017, 10:43 PM   #1

How to make your Kimber Micro reliable thread.

I thought I'd start a new thread about making a Kimber Micro more reliable as well as other general information for Micro owners. My Micro is just about 2 months old and now runs like a top. Initially, I was highly disappointed with my Micro's reliability and was considering getting rid of it. Some of the things I have done aren't really needed, but I'll share them with you anyway because they do make it a smoother running pistol. My time is limited so I'll have to do this in separate posts. You are all also welcome to chime in and add things about the Micro that you have found. I also have a good amount of experience with firearms so please do not do anything that is above your skill level. I'm also not a writer or photographer so please bear with me. Here we go!

1. I have come to the conclusion that these pistols need to be broken in regardless of what Kimber says. I suggest you run about 200-300 rounds of FMJ before you start trying expensive self defense ammunition. If ball is your SD load, carry on.

2. Clean your pistol before your first range trip and oil it well during the break in period. My Micro gets pretty dirty from a couple hundred rounds and needs to be cleaned really well. These aren't Glocks so clean your pistols.

3. I personally broke a firing pin during dry fire exercises even though Kimber claims dry firing is safe. I no longer believe them. IMO, snap caps should be used. Here's what I use:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...m-package-of-5

4. If you haven't already upgraded your recoil spring and guide rod, you should call Kimber and get one. I personally think the Kimber flat wire spring is weak so I run a 12lb. Wolff for a Colt Mustang in mine with the new style guide rod. More on this later.

5. Grip screw o-rings! #60's, from Lowes, are too thick. You want part# 9262K102 from McMaster-Carr. They cost $6.53 for a 100. Just copy and paste the part number in the M-C search bar and it will lead you to it. I can also sell you a set of 4 for 6 bucks!

https://www.mcmaster.com/

6. Wolff gunsprings for the Colt Mustang work for the Kimber Micro. More on this later.

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/MUST...ID1/mID1/dID68

That's all the time I have for now. I'll post how to fix your magazines tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micro1.JPG (81.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg micro2.JPG (67.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg kimbera01.jpg (552.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg kimbera02.jpg (502.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg kimbera03.jpg (434.2 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by sawman556; 01-25-2017 at 10:54 PM.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #2

Awesome! Great idea.
Bobtuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

This is great so far. I need to order a set of those O rings for my loose grip situation. Looking forward to hearing more tips, although mine has run very well with its first 150 rounds with only 2 failure to feeds.
Trump1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #4

Fix your mags!

It seems the #1 complaint for the Kimber Micro's is follower related. Sig Sauer followed Colt's design, but for some reason Kimber changed it. The problem comes from the rounded tangs at the front bottom of the magazine. These tangs can get bent in slightly which can cause them to not engage the slide stop correctly. I have a 7 round mag that you could actually hear click past the slide stop. If you have side to side slop with the follower inside the magazine body you are going to have issues. The fix? Bending the tangs back out so they contact the interior of the mag walls. You want them to touch, but you also want them to slide freely. I suppose you could use a couple pairs of needle nose pliers to bend them back out, but I'm showing a different approach. If you use pliers you might want to wrap them in electrical tape so the don't mar the follower and cause binding inside the mag.

I simply found a steel punch slightly larger in diameter to the radius on the mag follower. My punch measured .340". You can see from the pictures how i did it. Use a smallish hammer and a solid surface to eliminate bounce. Give it a couple hits and check fitment. Repeat until the tangs are slightly touching the mag walls. When your finished and your mag is back together, you should have zero side to side slop. The reason I did it this way, opposed to the pliers, is I wanted the tangs to move at the same time and stay centered. Be careful not to hit the back of the follower when you are bringing the hammer down. Slower lighter strikes are what you want. I hope this makes sense. If not, feel free to ask me questions. My mags have been perfect since doing this. Good luck!

Also note that the Wolff 5% extra power magazine springs (for Colt Mustang) work perfectly for the Micro mags. Both 6 and 7 rounds. Even the 6 round Wolff spring feels slightly stronger that the 7 round Kimber spring for some reason. I'm using them in my mags and they run 100%. You will have to bend the top coil on the Wolff springs with 2 pairs of needle nose pliers, but it's simple. If anyone needs a picture let me know.

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/MUST...mID1/dID68#771
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kimbera03.jpg (434.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg kimbera07.jpg (496.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg kimbera05.jpg (389.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg kimbera06.jpg (386.8 KB, 111 views)
DGM1962, Tejun, starnovi and 1 others like this.

Last edited by sawman556; 01-26-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #5

I was able to get the exact same size O-rings through Grainger. I will provide a part number after I pick them up on Monday. If you have a Grainger locally, this will save you on shipping costs.
starnovi likes this.
Trump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Trump1 View Post
I was able to get the exact same size O-rings through Grainger. I will provide a part number after I pick them up on Monday. If you have a Grainger locally, this will save you on shipping costs.
Awesome! No Grainger here though! And yes, post the part number!
Old 01-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #7

Here's what happened from dry firing the snot out of my Micro without using snap caps. Just thought I'd put the pictures in this thread for reference!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firingpin2.jpg (423.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg firing pin1.jpg (373.7 KB, 73 views)
starnovi likes this.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #8

Great Forum. Looking forward to more posts.

Baumer
Baumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #9

Mine came with what looks like the flat spring (the wire the spring it made from has flats on it), but how do I know if my guide rod is newer?

The spring, however, is cut on both ends - not flat on one end and cut on the other, as shown in the manual -

starnovi likes this.

Last edited by DallasCMT; 01-26-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added pic
DallasCMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:12 PM   #10

Originally Posted by DallasCMT View Post
Mine came with what looks like the flat spring (the wire the spring it made from has flats on it), but how do I know if my guide rod is newer?

The spring, however, is cut on both ends - not flat on one end and cut on the other, as shown in the manual -

It sounds like you have the updated guide rod and spring. Does it look like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kimbera09.JPG (41.4 KB, 94 views)
starnovi likes this.

Search tags for this page

extra power recoil spring for micro 9

how to clean a kimber micro 9mm pistol

how to oil kimber micro 9 mm

kimber micro 380 modifications

kimber micro 9 break in

kimber micro 9 reliability
kimber micro reliability rounds

should ! oil kimber 9mm micro

Click on a term to search for related topics.