Should I send the firearm back to Kimber a 3rd time??? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree144Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #1

Should I send the firearm back to Kimber a 3rd time???

I need your expert advice on whether I should send my .380 back to Kimber a 3rd time in about 9 months and after firing 1750 rounds through it.

After 700 rounds, I returned it to Kimber for: (A) failures to eject spent rounds, (B) failures to lock back on the last round fired, and (C) failures to return to battery. Kimber did not include a repair report, but I know they replace the guide rod and spring. Turn around time was 6 weeks.

At 1400 rounds, I returned the firearm to Kimber again for: (A) failures to eject spent rounds (would only pull the casing about 1/8 inch out of the barrel), and (B) occasional failures to lock the slide back on the last round fired. Kimber reported that they did the following: We have performed the following repairs: Extractor, Ejector & Sear Pin, Slide Stop, & Recoil Spring Replaced, Barrel Reamed & Polished. They test fired 3 mags of Buffalo FMJ and 1 mag of Hornady XPD(?) through it. Turnaround time was 5 weeks.

Now at 1750 rounds, everything seems to be fixed except it will not fully eject spent rounds. It pulls the spent shells completely out of the barrel, but will not get them out of of the ejection port. There are no stove pipes. The spent casing is just laying parallel to the unfired round below it. Out of 200 Freedom Munitions flat nose FMJs, I have had 10 of these failures and 1 failure in 150 rounds of Fiocchi FMJs. Most failures have been while using the same 7 round Kimber mag. I had one such failure using the 6 round mag that came with the gun. I do not think I have had any failures to eject using Freedom Munitions XTP ammo (maybe 200 rounds).

Do I have a firearm problem, mag problem, ammo problem, or am I possibly limp wristing the gun? If I send the gun back to Kimber, what do I tell them? If this is a gun or mag problem, will they ever get it fixed? If the firearm will not operate 100% on range ammo, should I trust it as a CCW using hollow points? Your advice is needed!
Remove Ads
Old 02-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #2

I would stay on them, even to the point where they have to replace the gun. At this point I'd say being a nice guy isn't getting you what you want and paid for, a reliable functioning gun.

I'm glad my wife has a P238. No problems at all.

Before anyone gets upset about my not being supportive of Kimber, I've purchased 5 Kimbers, and three have been returned for service. So, yeah, I've paid for the right to have an honest opinion.
Chuck43, Marshall, Oreste and 6 others like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

It's hard to say what's causing those failures to eject without looking at the pistol examining the malfunctions after firing it but since you're not having problems with the self-defense ammo one would surmise it is the ammunition causing this problem. If you get a few failures with cheap range ammo every now and then I wouldn't worry about it as long as your self defense ammo is working all the time. My wife has two Micros; we have nowhere near the round count that you have only 100 rounds through each one and they've been perfect. That is after Kimber sent us a new recoil spring and guide rod for her Bel Air but her CDP LG ran perfectly the first time we went to the range. Tiny guns like the micro, even though they're only a 380, do require a good firm grip to aid ejection and reloading. The cycle time is so short and the distance the slide must travel to eject and reload is so short that the slightest muzzle flip from a loose grip will use up the energy needed to run that slide back all the way. Next time at the range try really concentrating on a good firm grip and see if that makes any difference. I have a bad tendency to allow my grip to loosen after shooting for quite a while and must refocus my attention to a tighten up on the grip. By the way we use cheap Winchester white box as range ammo and that always runs good for her. For her self defense ammo I stoke up her magazines with Hornaday Critical Defense.
Tejun and Panzer like this.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #4

I will also add that she has a Sig 238 Rainbow and a Sig 238 Nitron and a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard with laser. All 380 pistols. All very trustworthy.
Tejun and Panzer like this.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #5

Here is a picture of the failure to eject I am experiencing. Sorry for the poor picture quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170120_141124671.jpg (499.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

You need a new ejector.
Nellybelle, Mini Me and Panzer like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #7

It looks as if the slide is not going back far enough for the ejector to hit the case. After you've cleared the pistol , Pull the slide back all the way to see if that ejector protrudes through it slot in the slide you should be able to see it through the ejection port.
Panzer likes this.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

Keep sending that baby back until they get sick and tired of seeing it..Before long the cost of shipping it back and forth is gonna be more than what they have in the gun and they might just decide to use it as a door stop and send you a shiny new one...
Old 02-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I wouldn't hesitate for a second, send it back and continue to send it back until it's running right.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #10

I agree with Chuck! I wouldn't give a crap how many times I sent it back, 3rd or 30th makes no difference, send it again.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
Closed Thread

Search tags for this page

kimber firearms

kimber k6s failures

kimber k6s quality

Click on a term to search for related topics.