Issue with manual safety engagement - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #11

I have had the same thing happen with the safety engaging during shooting. It happened twice, in 106 rnds fired. Both times on the fifth rnd fired from a six round mag that was full with one in the chamber to start.

I put it off to me inadvertently knocking it up on recoil. Can't say for sure that's how it happened. Can't really see any other way. Being a Raptor it has ambidextrous safety, so it could be bumped up from either side. The safety makes a defined click in both directions, feels no less or more either way. Same as my 1911 for pressure it takes to disengage.

On my 1911 I keep my thumb on the safety when firing, there is plenty of room between my thumb and the slide. On my Micro 9 when I hold thumb on safety, my thumb is right against the slide.

I will try adjusting my grip keeping thumb on top of safety and away from the slide.

How do the rest of you grip your Micro?
BWozn14k is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #12

I am having same problem as op. I have fired around 150-200 rounds and the safety has unintentionally engaged at least 10 times. safety seems (to me) to have suffisient detent, as in solid click when engaging/disengaging. My thumb nuckle is in contact with safety when firing but i cannot intentionally engage safety with that part of my thumb no matter how hard i try. Mine is the standard model in ss. I think the above the safety grip will give me a bloody thumb.

Last edited by yellow perch; 03-31-2017 at 08:58 AM.
yellow perch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #13

Ride the safety.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #14

I had the same problem. I have large hands and I was able to almost eliminate it by taking a stronger grip on the gun so that the recoil didn't push the gun down and flip the safety up. The M9 Raptor has about the same recoil as my Kahr CM 40, which is substantial. Hope it works for you.
Kahr CM45
Kahr CM40
Kahr CM9
S&W Bodyguard
Ruger LCP
Kel Tec P11
Mossberg Combat 500 12 Ga.
NRA Life member
US Army Infantry 66-69

"A gun is a lot like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you probably won't need one again."
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #15

Kimber Micro 9 - accidently engage safety

I have a Kimber Micro 9 CDP and I am also having difficulty accidently engaging the safety on about every other or every third shot. It appears to me that my thumb will engage the safety during recoil. I called Kimber's tech support and found that this is not an uncommon issue for those with large hands. They did not have a solution (so sending it back was not going to help). They did suggest that I alter my grip and place my thumb over the safety while firing. This certainly works but, for me, this is not a comfortable or effective grip.

I next contacted Wolffe and purchased a Colt Mustang safety spring and installed it. As you mentioned, it is indeed longer than the factory Kimber spring, but found it did not solve the problem. I am considering grinding down the safety lever some but I hate to do that to such a beautiful firearm. Maybe someone will make a grip that will help shield the safety lever or perhaps someone will make a drop in replacement that will be less prominent.
starnovi likes this.
orca21@suddenlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #16

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a Kimber Micro 9 CDP and I am also having difficulty accidently engaging the safety on about every other or every third shot. It appears to me that my thumb will engage the safety during recoil. I called Kimber's tech support and found that this is not an uncommon issue for those with large hands. They did not have a solution (so sending it back was not going to help). They did suggest that I alter my grip and place my thumb over the safety while firing. This certainly works but, for me, this is not a comfortable or effective grip.

I next contacted Wolffe and purchased a Colt Mustang safety spring and installed it. As you mentioned, it is indeed longer than the factory Kimber spring, but found it did not solve the problem. I am considering grinding down the safety lever some but I hate to do that to such a beautiful firearm. Maybe someone will make a grip that will help shield the safety lever or perhaps someone will make a drop in replacement that will be less prominent.
Try placing your thumb on top of your safety and always press down. If you have to draw your gun the safety would need to be disengaged if you carry condition 1. Practice this and it won't happen again.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois orca21. How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #18

Welcome new members to the forum from a Tennessean. Reading the different posts, it sounds like it is not uncommon for them to do this. If is was a problem I am hoping the QC might have caught it. Just my thoughts on the matter....
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #19

I had the same issue. Fired the gun for about 75 rounds using my weak (left) hand only. No problem. I do have long fingers and found the cure to be a tighter grip and/or more aggressive grip panels. Never had the issue with a Sign 938 but it had much more aggressive grip panels.
Electraclyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber micro 9 cant flip up safety

Click on a term to search for related topics.