Sorta newbie questions? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #1

Sorta newbie questions?

Hey y'all!

I'm quite familiar with my own S&W guns (9mm Chief Special; .357Magnum revolver) but NOT with guns in general... So, I'm vacillating about which gun I should get.

By sheer happenstance, about three weeks ago, I got to my gate at LAX waaay early and someone had left a copy of FMG Guns magazine on a row of (empty) seats. So, I took it with and when I saw the ad for the wee Kimbers I started reading everything I could find online. Got to actually hold a Micro at the local Dick's Sporting Goods; no local range rents them (no surprise). And man-oh-man! That Micro fits my hand perfectly!! Tried the Solo also and didn't like it nearly enough!

I'm currently just drooling over the Sapphire -- but cannot see paying that much just/mainly cause its gorgeous.... except: it's 9mm, which I have a boatload of ammo for already... except: the Sapphire seems to choke on anything less than the most-expensive 9mm rounds... except: maybe that's only true for the first ones off the (custom) production line? Except: having a boatload of ammo in the 'right' caliber might make the Sapphire worth getting? Except: I read somewhere no one can find replacement mags for it? {sigh}

So, I've mostly talked myself OUT of the Sapphire... (And I really wouldn't want to buy something (esp. a $1,500 something!) I hadn't rented and shot, you know? Or at least held!) (Is it the same physical gun as the Kimber Ultra? I could probably find one to hold, if not to shoot.)

(The Solo was slightly tempting because it's a 9mm -- except: again, it seems to be unreliable with cheap ammo... And it's not much smaller than my S&W -- so why switch?)

The above objections are my conclusions after sweeping the web for reviews and discussions... If Michael were alive (he was a gun-expert), I would have no hesitation about getting either if he approved, because HE would fix any problems.

So, back to my first choice: a Micro! Having held it? It feels wonderful and, I think, with the larger mag it will be nearly perfect. I love the look. I spent many hours today looking at all the competition -- and find them all... less than beautiful to my eye... The Kimber just looks right.

My questions (or maybe they're just pleas for reassurance and advice?):

1. People 'around' seem to suggest that .380 is (now) an acceptable, if not preferable, caliber for a carry gun. Is this so?
Considerations: (I'm a decent shot; I expect I'd hit a bad guy with a Micro.) I don't live in a city (about an hour N of Atlanta, and I almost never go down there; maybe twice a year, if that?). My current carry gun, the 9mm, is larger and heavier than the Micro (obviously) and requires me to carry a large-ish purse. (Yes, I know, off-the-body is less than optimal... I'm not ready (and may never be) for open carry. (Michael did: his Kimber CDP II on one hip and a (now-sold) ParaOrdnance P10 on the other -- god, I LOVED that man!!) The Micro would probably allow me to CC, which the 9mm doesn't. I don't go to dangerous areas, I'm always hyper-conscious of my surroundings, and I used to teach tai chi, so I have a pretty decent "martial" mindset. (And those Micros are cuter than hell!)

2. IF .380 is a "good-enough" round to carry in place of 9mm, it will require stocking up on yet another caliber of rounds. If it's good-enough ammo, and I carry the Micro more easily/comfortably, isn't it worth it?
Considerations:
If I had to go downtown, I'd still take the 9mm with me; otherwise I would carry the Micro. I have a boatload of .45s and a larger boatload of 9mm in the house. (Do rounds go bad? They're only about 4-5 years old?) Adding a third caliber to my 'collection' seems like it might not be the best choice -- but I don't know if that's true. If the smaller gun is easier to carry AND still acceptable, a third type of round is not the worst choice!

3. Am I over-complicating this? (It's one of my best skills -- making things way more complex than they need to be!)
Considerations:
The Solo I held had the Crimson Trace but I'm not sure I see any need for the laser in my life... I could buy a nice Stainless Steel Micro (and a boatload of .380 ammo and a holster or two) and learn a new way of disassembling and assembling and cleaning and shooting and drawing... and it wouldn't be sapphire blue, but it would be good looking and easy to carry.

I admit to being a little apprehensive about learning how to disassemble and reassemble another type of gun. (I haven't shot Michael's CDP since several years before his death and I never had to clean it, so I've never worked on a 1911-style gun.) I called my local range and asked their training guy to consider offering a course on "cleaning and reassembling" handguns -- bet there are a lot of women who don't really know how to do it...

Sorry this is so long... I'm trying to provide enough info to allow someone who KNOWS about gun to help someone with a very limited range of knowledge. Thanks for any help any of y'all can provide.
Warmly,
Elenor

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 10-15-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

I think you've done a great job in covering your bases & researching your options. I don't own a Micro, so can't speak with any direct experience, but I do have a very similar pistol - a Sig Sauer P238. It's chambered in .380 & from my understanding is mechanically very similar to the micro. It's not complicated to disassemble or clean IMHO.

As a defensive round, .380 isn't helpless, but not great either. Here's my thinking - my P238 is small enough to be extremely easy to conceal - purse or on body. That means I will never leave it at home because I couldn't conceal it with that day's clothing choices. The gun I have with me is always better than the gun I leave behind, no matter what the caliber.

I recently purchased a Kimber Tactical Ultra in .45 for possible CC. I'm still working on becoming more proficient with it & have not fully decided if I will keep it or not. It's a great pistol, but it is snappy to shoot. If I do decide to sell it, I will try a different model in .45 as a possible alternate CC pistol. There are times when I feel more confident with a larger caliber.

Hope this helps.
MPO Southy, Chuck43 and dcasey1 like this.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Like Chickadee I have a Sig P238 .380, I call it my shorts and T-shirt summer carry gun. I am anxious to see a Micro Carry but they have yet to appear in any of my LGS. You say you'd like to shoot a Micro Carry but they're not available for rent at your local range. You might ask if they have a Sig P238 or Colt Mustang for rent, they are both very similar to the Micro Carry and will allow you to experience shooting a .380. Both the Sig and Micro Carry are take off's of the Colt Mustang.

I would suggest you avoid the Solo, it sounds like you're an experienced shooter but haven't learned the mechanics of handguns yet and about half the people that buy Solos have to return them to the factory for service.

Ammo if kept dry doesn't go bad, I still have some WW II era .30-06 that still goes bang when you pull the trigger.
MPO Southy likes this.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
You might ask if they have a Sig P238 or Colt Mustang for rent, they are both very similar to the Micro Carry and will allow you to experience shooting a .380. Both the Sig and Micro Carry are take off's of the Colt Mustang.
What a GREAT idea!! Thanks Chuck!

I would suggest you avoid the Solo, it sounds like you're an experienced shooter but haven't learned the mechanics of handguns yet and about half the people that buy Solos have to return them to the factory for service.
Yeah, that's what put me off the Solo... and then a VERY bad man (2sharp2) in the "New Member Intro" section just showed me his etchin.... er ... showed me some pix of his Sapphire, which is leading me to reconsider the Sapphire... (Hell, it's just money, right?!) {sigh} Who wants to retire when there's a Sapphire out there to buy?)

I'm gonna go up again today to Dick's Sporting Goods and get fingerprints all over their Micro (again) and see if they have an Ultra on hand -- the Sapphire IS an Ultra, right? Same gun just (really really really) prettied up?

Ammo if kept dry doesn't go bad, I still have some WW II era .30-06 that still goes bang when you pull the trigger.
As long as it goes bang out the barrel and not out the handle or something! EEK! (Am I showing a gap in my knowledge?)
Warmly,
Elenor
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #5

Snow Tao, I own both the Solo and the Micro. Both great guns. As you say, all around the Micro has an incredible feel and shoots just as well. The recoil is like shooting a 22. Very light. The trigger is single action and just a dream. I can find nothing negative so say about this gun. The accuracy is just incredible. It feels even better in the hand with the 7 round mag. For all around I like it better then the Solo. Nothing wrong with the Solo but the recoil even though not bad at all, I can't get back on target as easily and as quickly as with the Micro. I also, like the ease of concealment and the weight over the Solo. Both great guns, but I carry the Micro now all the time. I live in a pretty great area. If I went to the city, in all honesty I would take both the Solo for its extra power and the Micro as a BUG. I compared it to the Colt and it is just to me a nicer gun. And by the way, the best sights I have ever seen on a small pistol. Enough said, I just love the gun and everything about it, from a technical point to and esthetic point.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
I'm gonna go up again today to Dick's Sporting Goods and get fingerprints all over their Micro (again) and see if they have an Ultra on hand -- the Sapphire IS an Ultra, right? Same gun just (really really really) prettied up?

As long as it goes bang out the barrel and not out the handle or something! EEK! (Am I showing a gap in my knowledge?)
Warmly,
Elenor
Elenor, the Sapphire is a dressed up version of the 9mm Ultra CDP II, the following may help you understand the different sizes of the various Kimber models.

ULTRA
3 bull barrel and a short grip.

ULTRA+
3 barrel and a full length grip

COMPACT
4 barrel and a short grip.

PRO
4 barrel and a full length grip.

CUSTOM
5 barrel and full length grip.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #7

Don't know where you read/heard the Sapphire seems to choke on anything but the most expensive ammo?
I tell you what I will do! I am in Chattanooga not that far from you I don't think. You bring any 9mm ammo you have in your stash or any kind you want to try and WE will shoot my Sapphire and any other firearm that I have. We can meet at my local range. I say my Sapphire will function with any ammo you want to try. I am not being a smart ass, this is a real offer.
You have a lot of questions and ideas. The .380/9mm debate has been going on for years. My opinion of what pistol is the best for self defense is...which ever gun you will carry with you all the time and be accurate with and be comfortable shooting!

I agree with Chuck. I would pass on the Solo. I know lot of people like them. I may buy a Stainless Micro some day if I ever see one in person.
Chickadee likes this.

Last edited by 2sharp2; 10-10-2014 at 03:19 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

I'm in.

Sent from my Galactic Communicator using TapaTalk
Ice-and-Snow likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
I'm in.

Sent from my Galactic Communicator using TapaTalk
Come on the more the merrier it could be a big boy/girl fun day!
Old 10-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #10

Well, I hope I didn't scare SnowTao away! It is nice to have the ladies ideas on the site along with all of us old guys.

Can I get a ChickaDee in the house?????

Search tags for this page

blue pvd finish like kimber sapphire

Click on a term to search for related topics.