Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Tejun
  • 1 Post By pcovers
  • 1 Post By Tejun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

Micro 380 Range Report

Took my Micro 380 to the range yesterday, along with my Solo and Colt Mustang.

Shot 50 rounds through the Micro using various ammo; Freedom Munitions, American Eagle, Winchester. The gun handled all well with no issues at all. BadaBing BadaBang !!

I did however have some failure to feed issues with the Colt Mustang using the FM ammo. I've had this little pistol for over three years now, probably 600 or so rounds through it and this is the first time I've had an issue. I plan to take down for thorough inspection this weekend.

I also wanted to mention one other notable discovery that occurred when I was loading up mags and getting range bag ready the night before. I started loading the magazines for the Micro first with the FM ammo this is 100gr FMJ with flat nose. When finished, I inserted the modified Sig magazine and cycled the slide and the round stuck at the feedramp in a horizontal position, not enough angle to feed up and in to the chamber. Cleared everything and tried again. Same thing. Grabbed the Kimber extended mag (with same ammo) and it cycled and loaded the round without issue. Then tried the flush mag (same ammo) and had no issue. Changed the ammo to Winchester, same type FMJ with flat nose and tried again, with same results (only the Sig mag had an issue). I then grabbed my Colt Mustang (essentially the same pistol) and using the Sig mag I have for that gun, tried and got same results, with round sticking at feedramp. I tried sling shotting the slide from closed position, releasing the open slide with the slide stop, as well as sling shotting with slide stop engaged and same results (with only the Sig mags).

I then put some American Eagle FMJ Round Nose ammo and the Sig mag loaded the round just as it should. Did same on the Colt and same result, loaded as it should. So I loaded both Sig mags with RN ammo for the range. While at the range, I experimented with putting 6 rounds of the FM ammo and the last round an AE round and both the Micro and Colt cycled/chambered the round and shot all 7 without issue. It seemed to be fine if the first round was a RN round, and this was only happening with the Sig mags. The Kimber and Colt mags in their respective guns all performed flawlessly.

Has anyone else that is using the Sig mags in their Micro 380s experienced anything like this ? It seems since the Kimber mags have become available most folks are just getting the Kimber mags these days.

I've got the Sig mags quarrantined for now until I can do some more studying.

All in all a fun day at the range, particularly in light of the Solo's performance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RangeTrip1 2-21-17.jpg (108.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RangeTrip2 2-21-17.jpg (102.0 KB, 11 views)
Tejun is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #2

Target looks great. I'm having nothing but fun with my Micro 380. It is such a nice shooter and 100% reliable after 500 rounds. Far more accurate than I would have expected. Thanks for the tip on the Sig mags.
starnovi likes this.
pcovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #3

Dang, I'm glad your micro is running well, I really want mine to get up to speed soon now too! Since my Advocate came with 7 round mags I never tried any of the Sig mags in it. I haven't tried the freedom munitions in mine yet, might give it a try. Last week I used Federal 95gr and it was fine except for that last round of every mag. Not sure what to make of this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #4

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
Dang, I'm glad your micro is running well, I really want mine to get up to speed soon now too! Since my Advocate came with 7 round mags I never tried any of the Sig mags in it. I haven't tried the freedom munitions in mine yet, might give it a try. Last week I used Federal 95gr and it was fine except for that last round of every mag. Not sure what to make of this.
I don't know what could cause that either, but that is exactly what my Colt Mustang was doing yesterday also so I'm gonna do some studying and will let you know what I come up with....
starnovi likes this.
Tejun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #5

Thank you. Very interested in what you find out. I'm still not sure if it's me, the ammo, the mags, or the pistol.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #6

Sell the Sig mags and buy the Kimber. They're cheaper too!
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote