380 malfunctions please help - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree105Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #1

380 malfunctions please help

I posted this on someones else thread before I figured out how to make a new one. I truly apologize for that. I am great with firearms, suck with computers.

I own a micro .380. From the 3rd magazine in, malfunction after malfunction. 3 trips to the range, boxes and boxes of different ammo, malfunctions. FTF(failure to fed and failure to fire), FTE, wouldn't return to battery, double feds, wouldn't stay open on last round. It's did everything but blow up in my hand. When it fired it was great, accurate, loved it but a failure to a couple of failures each magazine, not good, not fun, and certainly can't depend on it to protect me. Eliminated mags, one by one, not the mag.

Hubby came home that weekend, he shot it(he's a Marine 28 years in) same issues. Because he was thinking he'd be getting a baby kimber to match his crimson carry I bought him for his birthday a few years back. So with heavy heart, called Kimber.

They were very nice, sent me a sticker, I shipped it off. 10 days after they recieved it, it was shipped back, had a whole list of things done, they had fired 24 rounds through it, good to go. I told Kimber before I ever sent it to them that it would be a few months before I could go to the range once I got it back because of a cancer surgery I had scheduled and recovery etc. No problem. Told them it could take 4 to 6 months, they said no problem.

When I could finally go to the range, nothing had changed, malfunction after malfunction. I called Kimber. They asked me if it had the old rod and spring. To take it apart if the rod didn't have the crescent cut out it was they spring and rod and they would just send them out to me. It had the old rod and spring, so they sent me the new ones.

When we finally got back to the range. He shot it. First 2 mags went just fine, 3 mag, 3rd round in FTE, last round didn't stay open. 4 mag, more malfunctions after malfunction. 8 mags in he was done. He said it needed to go back. Called Kimber, sent me a label. They recieved it on 1/10/2017. On 03/01/2017 kimber called me and said that they had put 96 rounds of 4 different kinds of ammo and it DID NOT MALFUNCTION ONCE. So, they had cleaned it and was sending it back to me.

What do I do??? We can't and by we I mean, me, hubby, son, range officers, can't get 9 rounds through it without a malfunction but it goes to yonkers and they put 96 through it without a problem?? 16 magazines and we can't get 2 mags trough it. Kimber said, yes they don't understand what the variable is either but they cleaned it and are shipping it back to me.

What do we do??
Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

What ammo are you trying to shoot with it? Wife uses WWB at range and Hornady Critical Defence for carry. No problems so far.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #3

Find out what kind of ammo they used and try some of that ammo. That's my only semi-helpful thought.
Tejun and 380help like this.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #4

Hello and thanks for replying we used just about everything except the hornady critical defense or gold dot which are our go to defense rounds because we couldn't get just regular rounds through it. But I always write down what rounds, and even dates and how many for all our firearms so here's the list of what we've tried:

Federal premium
Federal american eagle
Winchester black box
Winchester white box
Remington
Magtech
Fiochi
Blazer brass
Aguilla
I just added it up and a total of 733 rounds between the ammo I listed above. Of course, not all in one trip. That's spread out over 6 trips to the range. The first 3 trips(me and my son) the 4rth (hubby,me and son) 5 th trip after it came back from kimber, and the 6th trip was after they sent the new spring and rod.

We never tried the defense rounds because we couldn't get it to function with the regular rounds. The worst being the flat nosed winchester, so we only used 21 rounds of it.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 380help View Post
What do we do??
Call them again, and insist that they either refund your purchase price or replace the lemon that they sold you. Insist.

So are you all better now? Hope so. Get your gun fixed/replaced, shoot a lot, have fun, be well.
380help likes this.

Join the NRA
Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #6

Hey shockfinder, I don't know what 96 rounds they are suppose to have used this time because I haven't received the.380 back or the report. All she said was 96 rounds of 4 different kinds of ammo but it would be in the report when I got the gun back.

The first visits report says:
3 mags of federal american eagle 95gr fmj (which we tried a box plus 14 so 64 nothing but failures)
1 mag of sig sauer v-crown 90gr jhp (which I can't find anywhere)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:18 PM   #7

Hey RustyIron, I asked about what they would do if it couldn't be repaired, since it's the second trip.She said, kimber would destroy the gun and send me another but they don't do monetary compensation. I told her I didn't want the money, I wanted the gun that I purchased to work properly, that I love that little pistol, and when it shoots, its dead on, smooth, everything you'd want. Its the stopping every 3 to 4 rounds and having to clear a malfunction thats the issue.

Problem is they are saying there is nothing wrong with it. She said they put 96 rounds no problems, so no repairs, no new pistol, we cleaned it, oiled it, and we are sending it back to you. I was speachless.

I mean, me hubby, son and I forgot a leo friend who has shot in competitions, does the monthly range training for the pd ALL shot this gun and NONE of us could get through mags without issues. But yonkers said they put 16 mags through it, no issues.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

Yes RustyIron, God willing I am better. My immune system revolted after the surgery, which was worse than the surgery but I am doing well. Got follow ups to make sure nothing comes back but praying they will all be clear. Thank you for asking.
MPO Southy and RustyIron like this.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #9

Ditch the Winchester white box FMJs. Mine likes to choke on those......
380help likes this.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #10

I read your comments 380help and the others here and keep coming back to your original post relative to eliminating the mag's from the problem. How did you eliminate the mag's? I could be all wrong here, but seems you've tried everything you (and others in your troop of friends) can think of to resolve the problem, AND the Kimber says the gun runs fine when they test it. Except for always choosing "good" ball ammo in the heavier bullet weights, I keep coming back to the question of the mag's. I'm not sure, but would suspect that Kimber uses their own mags to test fire returned guns after servicing them (I imagine a rack of mag's with the test ammo of the day ready to used by the tester). There has been some discussion on the KT about faulty mag's and I often see members refer to mag purchases from other suppliers (Not Kimber). So, assuming you have done all the cleaning and lubing recommended by Kimber (especially running the gun "wet" during break-in), and then assuming Kimber did their job of ensuring the gun is running all the correct spec's, then using the process of elimination might be pointing to the mags? Those are just some of my thoughts and I could be totally off-base. Let us know what you decide. BTW...I have a Micro 380 Raptor that is a great shooter and I hope yours will be too.
Tejun and 380help like this.
OGCA - Life Member
Closed Thread

Tags
kimber micro, malfuntions, micro 380

Search tags for this page

why does the kimber micro .380 sometimes not stay open on the last round

Click on a term to search for related topics.