Plastic training version? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Plastic training version?

Been searching around. Anyone ever heard of or seen a plastic 'replica' training version of the Micro? (Come on Kimber! Y'all should be making EVERYthing to go with these lovely guns! )

I've asked Looper Law Enforcement to make a FlashBang bra holster for it -- they said Lisa would go to their LGS to try one of their current holsters on the Micro to see if what they have would do or if they needed to make one to fit. (I'd rather they made one to fit -- so it's actually designed for the wee thing!)

I'm trying to find the replica so I can practice with it in the IWB/OWB I got. Want to be able to practice with the FlashBang when they offer that. I'm ordering snapcaps ({sigh} IF they exist too -- I haven't started THAT search yet!) so I can play around with racking and dry firing -- the slide is too small for a 'standard' rack (can't keep my hand away from the port)(oh, and I'm a leftie, just to make things more complicated!!); thankfully, the Micro slide seems light enough that I can do it with just finger strength...

I'm currently 'studying' the Micro (carrying, playing with, operating, etc.; not yet dry-firing because I think it's not good for the gun, hence the intent to get snap caps) without ever having loaded a round into it. (I'm guessing they shot it at Kimber (?), but) I have not let a round near it yet, so I can focus on the gun. (Yes-absolutely, I am still observing the Four Laws, but I am not stressing about it because I know the wee thing has never yet been near a live round.)

Haven't figured out the slide release concept yet -- wrong side for me, wrong place, my index (trigger) finger isn't strong enough to pull it down (and that finger is not safe to use because it's too close to the trigger area!). I watched a (pretty good) video on slingshot vs. standard rack. Makes a lot of sense, and I could do that with the Micro (maybe not with the S&W 9mm) -- but -- um -- newbie question again:

I get that I rack the slide back and the slide retention tab pops up and holds the slide back/open. And I'm getting the impression from the vids that there has to be a magazine in -- with a round? -- for the slide retention tab to let the slide fly forward? The vids (and I've watched about about 8 so far)(did I mention I over-research everything?) seem to show the guy racking it and then "just" letting go of the slide and it slams home -- without the guy touching the retention tab? Or is he just moving the tab so fast I don't see it?

(The S&W is DAO so I'm used to that. I don't mind that hard first pull. Single action? Yeesh! Confusing!)

Help? (Again, you lovely folks!)
Elenor
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

First off it's perfectly OK to dry fire your new pistol, you're not going to hurt anything doing that.

OK let's see if we can get you setup here, first of all I recommend
a laserlyte .380 training cartridge a laserlyte .380 training cartridge
rather then a snap cap. It's a brass dummy cartridge with a built in laser, when you pull the trigger the laser will flash and you can see where you hit. You can expand on that and get a
laser target laser target
that will record your hits so you can see the groups you're shooting or plinking cans that will topple over when hit. My grandchildren love shooting the cans.

Next up is the "slide stop" not release, this is used to hold the slide back not release it. The right way to release the slide is to pull it back and let it go, this will work with a loaded magazine or with no magazine in the gun. An empty magazine in the gun will hold the slide open.

I think I got all your questions if I missed anything I'll repost.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
[SIZE=3]First off it's perfectly OK to dry fire your new pistol, you're not going to hurt anything doing that.
Lovely! Great to know. Thanks!

[SIZE=3]OK let's see if we can get you setup here, first of all I recommend a laserlyte .380 training cartridge rather then a snap cap. It's a brass dummy cartridge with a built in laser, when you pull the trigger the laser will flash and you can see where you hit.
EEK! Expensive.... but may be worth it; I can envision doing a LOT of draw-and-aim without (legitimately) pissing off a range officer! (No range officer lives at my house, so I won't be annoying one! ) (Esp. once I get the FlashBang -- I've been thinking that, unlike with an IWB (or pocket carry) where you can put your hand on the gun before you decide whether you need to draw, putting your hand on the FlashBang would look REALLY strange! Still, I'd need a lot of drawing-and-aim with that holster too.

You can expand on that and get a laserlyte laser target that will record your hits so you can see the groups you're shooting or plinking cans that will topple over when hit. My grandchildren love shooting the cans.
Hmmm, I think I'd rather use things that actually go bang for that -- allows better "recoil-non-reaction" (or reacquiring target) training experience...

Next up is the "slide stop" not release,
{wince} sorry.... I think of it as 'releasing' the slide back to its normal position, not 'stopping' it from going forward... I'll reorient my memory.. (OH! Have you seen this vid of the inner workings of a semi? Terrific! The music is ... less than optimal (downright annoying, actually) but the animation is fantastic! Taught me a lot!

this is used to hold the slide back not release it. The right way to release the slide is to pull it back and let it go, this will work with a loaded magazine or with no magazine in the gun. An empty magazine in the gun will hold the slide open.
BRILLIANT! That suddenly makes sense! (Cause, of course, I have only an empty mag in the wee thing!)

I think I got all your questions if I missed anything I'll repost.
As always, thank you SO MUCH!
Elenor
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote