Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By WillyD
  • 1 Post By sawman556

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

Good .380 Range Report

Hello everyone, previously in my new member post I talked about my new Micro Carry. After a good cleaning and heavy lube I put 150 rounds thru it and about 80% of the time it failed to go into battery when racked for the first round. With a little thumb pressure the slide went right into battery. I had no other problems with the gun other than that.

Kimber sent me the new guide rod kit and after installing it went to the range today for another test run. I was surprised how much longer the flat spring was than the stock spring....like a third longer.

Put 200 rounds thru it with Federal 95gr FMJ. Some where between 100-150 the gun failed to go into battery after racking the first round. Just the slightest touch of my thumb to the back of the slide and it went right into battery. Then I had one more ftgib close to the 200 mark.

So much better than the first report, I think. Maybe it just needs a little more break in even though Kimber says it doesn't need it. I see some new shiny spots on the slide and frame. I think I'll take it to the bench and give it a nice massage.
WillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #2

They need to be broke in. I'm not sure why Kimber claims they don't. I also don't know what the problem is with the Kimber recoil springs, but I haven't had a failure with Sig P238 or Wolff Mustang springs.
cousinmark likes this.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #3

I'm a believer in the break in concept. I think 400 rounds or so is a reasonable number? Keep in mind too that these .380s seem to like being clean. You may be hitting her wall at the 150ish round range? In a self defense situation that's not likely going to come into play.
...now that there's confirmation that the Sig P238 spring will work on the new Kimber guide rod (thanks sawman ), I'm going to give that tweak a try.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

When you load the first round are you releasing the slide with the lever, or are you pulling back the slide and sling shotting it?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #5

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...now that there's confirmation that the Sig P238 spring will work on the new Kimber guide rod (thanks sawman ), I'm going to give that tweak a try.
The firing pin springs that come with the Sig recoil springs also work. They are a little bigger, but they work perfectly (better,IMO). I had one Kimber firing spring have a coil break off and another has a kink in the same place the other one broke. I just use the Sig ones now.
sawman556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
When you load the first round are you releasing the slide with the lever, or are you pulling back the slide and sling shotting it?
I almost always use the sling shot method.
WillyD is offline   Reply With Quote