Slide stop spring question - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Slide stop spring question

My Micro 380 CDP almost always fails to lock open on the last round. I have 7 Kimber magazines (3 short, 4 long), and it is pretty much the same for all of them, so I really don't think it is a magazine issue.

When I have any empty magazine inserted, the slide will always lock back when I cycle it.

I do notice that when I remove the slide, the slide stop spring tends to stick out to the side a little, rather than lie flush against the slot in the frame.

However, I can press it back into place and it will lie flush. Then when I reattach the slide, and it appears to cycle normally.

I wonder if the slide stop spring is causing the lock-back failures. Whaddya think? What else should I check, before I call Kimber?
starnovi likes this.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

I do not know a lot about that spring but I would replace that one I think. How did it get out of position. Has the spring been tweaked?

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

Originally Posted by swca View Post
...How did it get out of position. Has the spring been tweaked?
As far as I know it has always been that way - it's a new gun. (Well, I have about 250 rounds through it now.) It has been a great little shooter, except for the lock-back failures. That little spring is the only anomaly I can see so far.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #4

You can call Kimber and describe what the pics show and they will most likely send you a new spring. I had a similar issue and they sent a new spring to me. I installed the new one (a real booger to get in) and ended up having it still not sit flush in the notch and I still had lock back issues, just not as frequently as before. I took a small screw driver and placed it under the spring tab closer to the loop end and then tweeked (fancy name fo bending) it to where it would sit flush and its been 100% since then.

You can probably do the tweeking with your existing and still have Kimber send you a new one in case. It can always be a spare part if not needed.
Nellybelle likes this.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Tejun View Post
...I installed the new one (a real booger to get in) ...
Thanks, Tejun. It looks like it's just a press fit into the hole - nothing holding it in place - but I have been reluctant to force it too much taking it out, until I find out for sure. I should be able to just slip a small screwdriver tip underneath it and gently lift it outward away from the frame. Is that your experience?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #6

It has flattened area on the end that goes in the hole to hold in in place. I found a youtube video on replacing it, but it's not an easy experience the first time, but it gets easier after that.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #7

I had the same issue with my Micro 380. I called Kimber and they sent me 3 new springs. I installed one and still had issues. I ended up sending my pistol back to Kimber for repairs and they ended up replacing the frame. I believe the hole that accepts the spring was too big and never seated the spring correctly. As for how the spring got messed up, I can only assume that it got bent/pulled out during disassembly when the slide stop was removed.
starnovi likes this.
trisax62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #8

Originally Posted by trisax62 View Post
I had the same issue with my Micro 380. I called Kimber and they sent me 3 new springs. I installed one and still had issues. I ended up sending my pistol back to Kimber for repairs and they ended up replacing the frame. I believe the hole that accepts the spring was too big and never seated the spring correctly. As for how the spring got messed up, I can only assume that it got bent/pulled out during disassembly when the slide stop was removed.
I'm guessing your replacement springs slipped in easily, if the hole was too big - unlike Tejun's experience, where they were tough to get seated...? Mine is in really tight. Thanks for the helpful comment.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:20 AM   #9

Originally Posted by P8RIOT View Post
I'm guessing your replacement springs slipped in easily, if the hole was too big - unlike Tejun's experience, where they were tough to get seated...? Mine is in really tight. Thanks for the helpful comment.
Like Tejun said, it has a flat spot on it. I had to use needle nose pliers to get it out. Don't know for sure, but I felt that it might have been glued or epoxied in and had "gunk" around it. I also followed a youtube video, granted it was for a Sig, but same design. Once I put the spring in, I hand cycled several loaded mag and didn't have any issues, but at the range the slide locked back after every round.
Seemed like an easy fix, but I could have screwed it up. I don't think Kimber would have sent me the spring if I needed to be a certified armorer to replace the spring.
trisax62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #10

Originally Posted by trisax62 View Post
... I also followed a youtube video, granted it was for a Sig, but same design.
Thanks, gentlemen. Helpful information - I also found the video - looks simple enough. I removed the old spring, and it was a indeed bugger to get out. It's a lot more deformed now than before I got it out. I ordered new ones. I'm confident that will correct the problem.
Tejun likes this.