Range Report 380, Sig 45 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #1

Range Report 380, Sig 45

I received my Freedom Munitions Ammo a couple of weeks ago, but this is my first trip to the range trying it out. Was gone for two weeks boating and beaching in Florida.

Used my Sig Ultra 45, 50 rounds FM 23 gr RN, had 0 failures.
Target 1 7-8 yards.

Next up Sig P238, 50 rounds FM 100 gr RNFP, 0 failures. Had 7 rounds of Blaser 95 gr FMJ ball ammo previously loaded in a mag and had 1 FTL on round 7. Also ran 14 rounds of FM 90 gr XTP with 0 failures.

Last up was the Kimber Micro 380, 50 rounds FM 100 gr RNFP, 0 failures. Same as the Sig, had 1 mag previously loaded with Blaser 95 gr FMJ ball ammo and 1 FTL on round 7. Also ran 14 round of FM 90 XTP with 0 failures. Target 2 7-8 yards.

So what I found interesting was that the 2 failures, 1 with each 380, was from the Blazer ball ammo. The little pistols seem to really like the Freedom Munitions RNFP and the XTP, no issues with either of them. Think I will stick with the FM and hope the good results continue but right now I feel more confident about the Kimber M380. It's been steadily improving and I think it's just about there. Last time out the range owner made a little tweak on my 380 mags, so whether it was that or the ammo that made a difference, I don't know... but I like the ammo.

PS...did almost all of my shooting with both eyes open, trying not to squint that left eye so much...just to get a bead on the front sight and then shoot open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_5ba.jpeg (1.48 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_5b9.jpeg (1.58 MB, 7 views)

Heinie Lady Hawk 1911
Kimber Raptor 9mm full size SS
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Compact II 9mm
Kimber Micro 9 CTLG
Kimber Micro 380 Advocate
Sig Ultra Compact 2 tone 45 ACP
Sig P238 HD Nickel
Colt AR-15 9mm
CZ Rami 9mm
Glock 19
Glock 43
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro Series C.O.R.E.
Smith & Wesson M&P 22 compact
Walther PPS M2

Last edited by starnovi; 07-20-2017 at 01:28 PM.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #2

Nice shooting and great info about the ammo. I've been using Armscor in my M380 and it seems to like that better than the Blazer too. I'll be giving Freedom a go for sure! I also changed my recoil spring yesterday (after about 1200 rounds). It was way too easy to put in and I really noticed a difference with the new spring as well. Thanks so much for the info!
starnovi likes this.
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

I have shot about 1500 rounds of Freedom Munitions ammo through my Micro 380, both RNFP and XTP. Had many failures to extract and eject. Kimber ended up replacing the pistol. The new one has had a similar failure rate using FM (about 5%) after 300 rounds. So I don't know what to think - is it the ammo, the pistol, or me? I bought a bunch of FM early on with the 1st Micro, so naturally that is what I have shot the most. I will try some other ammo eventually in my replacement, but I do not plan on putting it through another 2000 round test like I did with the 1st one.

I like Freedom Munitions, especially the prices. I don't know if there is much difference between Hornady Critical Defense XTP and FM XTP other than the price. I believe I read that the XTP projectile FM uses is purchased from Hornady. I wish somebody on the internet would compare the two in ballistic gel. Maybe they have and I just have not discovered the video yet.

I wonder if many folks are using FM XTP for their defensive rounds in their Micro 380s? I have been, but is that wise?
starnovi likes this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

Great shooting....yeah..you killed the target. I haven't had any problems with their ammo. I have been gone also for a few weeks...most of the time when I order ammo it comes when I am gone so I get it shipped to the daughter's house. She then wonders what all I have ordered.
starnovi likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:12 AM   #5

Looks like you did real good. How do you like that Sig Ultra 45 ? I asking because I saw one at a local store and it was new but old stock. This store did my transfer for my Raptor and it was in their display case. It was $699 and when I did some research I found that this gun is about $1000 everywhere else. I haven't been to this store in a while but it was still there on my last visit. I have to stop by one of these days.
starnovi likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

Good shooting, I like FM ammo.
starnovi likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #7

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Looks like you did real good. How do you like that Sig Ultra 45 ? I asking because I saw one at a local store and it was new but old stock. This store did my transfer for my Raptor and it was in their display case. It was $699 and when I did some research I found that this gun is about $1000 everywhere else. I haven't been to this store in a while but it was still there on my last visit. I have to stop by one of these days.
I've got the Sig Ultra compact 2 tone and I'm very happy with it. Literally shot it right out of the box and have not had 1 issue with it. I like shooting it but it wouldn't be practical for me to use it as EDC, but it's my go to now for home defense, replacing my Glock 19. I think I have approx. 600-700 rounds through it now (haven't been keeping track in my notebook since it's been problem free), mostly Winchester 230 gr FMJ and it shot it without any problems as well as the Freedoms Munitions 230 gr. Got it back in December, gift from my husband so I'm not sure what he paid for it. I don't think you would be sorry to own one, it's been totally reliable and accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911_ultra_twotone_l_sm-f (1).jpg (43.7 KB, 0 views)
Chuck43, Tejun, JC45 and 1 others like this.

Heinie Lady Hawk 1911
Kimber Micro 9 CTLG
Sig P238 HD Nickel
Colt AR-15 9mm
CZ Rami 9mm
Glock 19
Glock 43
Walther PPS M2
Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
I have shot about 1500 rounds of Freedom Munitions ammo through my Micro 380, both RNFP and XTP. Had many failures to extract and eject. Kimber ended up replacing the pistol. The new one has had a similar failure rate using FM (about 5%) after 300 rounds. So I don't know what to think - is it the ammo, the pistol, or me?
I've had plenty of issues with my Micro 380 too, it's been back to Yonkers twice and still had failures. All I can tell you is that I kept shooting the damn thing, still had failures but they got to be less and less. It's still not perfect but very close. A few weeks ago I mentioned my problems with it to the range owner and he said that he's heard the same thing from a few other people with the K380 and he adjusted their mags, which he did for me too. Yesterday was my first time out since he adjusted them and previously the M380 would not chamber the FN loads but I had no problem with them at all yesterday. I don't know what he did to the mags, next time I see him I will ask him specifically what he did to them. Who knows, it might help you out too.
Dude22 and Panzer like this.

Heinie Lady Hawk 1911
Kimber Micro 9 CTLG
Sig P238 HD Nickel
Colt AR-15 9mm
CZ Rami 9mm
Glock 19
Glock 43
Walther PPS M2
Old 07-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

Exclamation

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
I've got the Sig Ultra compact 2 tone and I'm very happy with it. Literally shot it right out of the box and have not had 1 issue with it. I like shooting it but it wouldn't be practical for me to use it as EDC, but it's my go to now for home defense, replacing my Glock 19. I think I have approx. 600-700 rounds through it now (haven't been keeping track in my notebook since it's been problem free), mostly Winchester 230 gr FMJ and it shot it without any problems as well as the Freedoms Munitions 230 gr. Got it back in December, gift from my husband so I'm not sure what he paid for it. I don't think you would be sorry to own one, it's been totally reliable and accurate.

That's the same one at the local shop. I have to stop there soon. Thanks for the information.
starnovi likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #10

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
I've had plenty of issues with my Micro 380 too, it's been back to Yonkers twice and still had failures. All I can tell you is that I kept shooting the damn thing, still had failures but they got to be less and less. It's still not perfect but very close. A few weeks ago I mentioned my problems with it to the range owner and he said that he's heard the same thing from a few other people with the K380 and he adjusted their mags, which he did for me too. Yesterday was my first time out since he adjusted them and previously the M380 would not chamber the FN loads but I had no problem with them at all yesterday. I don't know what he did to the mags, next time I see him I will ask him specifically what he did to them. Who knows, it might help you out too.
Thanks Starnovi, I would really like to know what was done to the mags. If you can provide any pictures, they would also be appreciated.

I was beginning to think the Micro 380 was inferior to its competition (i.e. - Glock 42, S&W Bodyguard, Ruger LCP II, etc.). However, the Concealed Nation website just published a video of a Micro 9 torture test. The abuse the Micro 9 was given was excessive and it weathered the torture superbly. If the Micro 380 is constructed similarly to the Micro 9 (and I suspect it is), then the Micro 380 is no wimp at all and should continue to function when most others have ceased operation. See the link below to view the torture test. The last half of the test is the most grueling.

[VIDEO] Kimber Micro 9 Review ? Concealed Nation
starnovi likes this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote