Kimber Talk Forums banner

Micro v Ultra Carry

12K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  YumaMike 
#1 ·
I'm interested in comparing some pros and cons of these models. If you have either a Micro .380, Micro 9, or Ultra Carry model, I would appreciate your input! I've been carrying a compact 9 mm Glock for about three years now and am ready for a change of pace. I am looking to carry this next gun in the pocket. Therefore, your opinions and experiences relating to pocket carrying are most appreciated.

Additionally, I'm interested in collecting some data regarding these hand guns. So if you have any of these models and a pair of dial calipers, please consider helping a fellow out. In addition to the particular model you have, I'm interested in the following measurements, which are not available from Kimber's website:

1. The length of the slide, from muzzle to back plate.

2. The width of the slide (but not including the safety lever).

3. The width of the grip, at its widest point.

4. The height of the rear sight.

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois ninjamin7, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum from GA. Well, I have all 3 of those pistols and before I go off to measure them, there may be someone else on here that already knows that information....so I'll wait a bit. The first thing that comes to my mind though is that the Ultra Carry is at least 10 ounces or more heavier than the 2 micro pistols. So really don't think you would want to carry that in your pocket, I wouldn't anyway. Guess it depends on your preferences and size and how much your pockets can hold! Other thing is the Ultra carries 8 rounds and the micros 7 rounds. The 2 micros seem much more manageable for pocket carry. I'll check in later, if no one has given you measurements, I will do my best to get them for you when I get home later.

Reactions: swca and ninjamin7
#11 ·
The first thing that comes to my mind though is that the Ultra Carry is at least 10 ounces or more heavier than the 2 micro pistols. So really don't think you would want to carry that in your pocket, I wouldn't anyway.
That was my original impression also, but after reading one person's post that does carry an Ultra this way, I decided to include it in the comparison.

#12 ·
Thank you for the link! I hadn't come across that previously. After looking at it, the measurements they include are the overall length and the overall width, inclusive of beaver tail, grip panels, safety lever, etc. I recon that these features will contribute only minimally to the amount of space taken up by the slide and grip, hence my curiosity in having just a little more info!

#6 ·
I tend to agree.

True Concealed Carry......

Micro 9.............

Reactions: starnovi
#8 ·
I'm interested in comparing some pros and cons of these models. If you have either a Micro .380, Micro 9, or Ultra Carry model, I would appreciate your input! I've been carrying a compact 9 mm Glock for about three years now and am ready for a change of pace. I am looking to carry this next gun in the pocket. Therefore, your opinions and experiences relating to pocket carrying are most appreciated.

Additionally, I'm interested in collecting some data regarding these hand guns. So if you have any of these models and a pair of dial calipers, please consider helping a fellow out. In addition to the particular model you have, I'm interested in the following measurements, which are not available from Kimber's website:

Thank you!
Ninjamin7. Welcome to the site from Tennessee. I was looking for my paper catalog when I saw Mini Me post. All the measurements you seek are in the paper or online catalog you can download. I don't own a Micro Carry (380) or Micro9 but I do own several Ultra's and one is a 9mm Ultra Carry and I don't need measurements to know that pocket carrying a Ultra is NOT a good idea. Unless you are standing and walking all the time and never sitting or driving a vehicle. You might could pocket carry an Ultra in a cargo pants pocket?
You didn't carry your compact 9mm Glock in your pocket? Did you?
Seems like your just "thinking" about pocket carrying, back in the day I carried a Detonics Combat Master in the back pocket of my Levi's, it was not fun nor enjoyable, finally bought a IWB leather holster.
If you must, Micro Carry 380 would be easiest to pocket carry, Micro9 would not be any more difficult to pocket carry and offer a higher level of protection caliber wise.
1.Detonics before Cerakote
2.Ultra Carry 9mm w/Crimson Trace grips
3.Ultra family

Attachments

Reactions: Tejun
#10 ·
You didn't carry your compact 9mm Glock in your pocket? Did you?
No, I carry that IWB at 3:30 on the clock.

Seems like your just "thinking" about pocket carrying [...]
I do have full intentions to carry a pocket-sized gun. My daily environment has changed and I want a more deeply concealable weapon that is at minimal risk of printing. Whether it actually ends up in my pocket or not is a mater of "where can I put it that is most concealed?" So if you or anyone has a thought as to a more concealable place, I'm all ears! (But carrying one *anywhere* is better than none at all.)

#9 ·
Hi Ninja and welcome from AL. I carry the Micro 380 and my husband carries a Micro 9. The M9 is about 1/2" longer at the slide/barrel and it is about 10oz. heavier. Being a small woman, the 380 is perfect for me. He is relatively tall so can carry the M9 in his pocket without problems. My brother is short (5'6") so to pocket carry he chose the 380 because the 9 was wearing holes in his pocket. I don't think you could go wrong or be disappointed with either the 380 or the 9. Look forward to hearing your decision.

#13 ·
All dimensions taken off my guns using a tape measure.

380- 4.75"
9 - 5.25"
Ultra - 5.75"

380 - .750"
9 - 7/8"
Ultra - 15/16"

380 - 1"
9 - 1.062"
Ultra- 1.250"

.380 - .375"
9 - .50"
Ultra - .50"

#17 ·
Ninjaman, some would say I'm XXX-LG and I recon that's true. In an emergency or dire situation I could carry my Ultra in a pocket for a short period of time (hour or so) but not all day on a daily basis. I think depending on your pants material at some point someone is going to say, "hey is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me." If you get my drift.

Maybe if your needing deep conceal one of those tactical type T-shirts or undershirts with a built in pouch/holster would work for you. With a shirt over it. Would make moving, sitting, standing easier, be easier to draw from and be less likely it would print and show your ah "package." I can't think of the company name at the moment, there are several. I'm sure someone will help and old guy out and come up with a name and probably a link.

Reactions: ninjamin7
#18 ·
I have an Ultra, and guns that are nearly identical in dimensions to the Micros. The Ultra, while an easily concealable gun, is not a pocket pistol. I wear clothes that fit, so the 9 would be a hard-sell for everyday pocket carry. The 380 is a better choice. I think, though, that an IWB holster is the best form of concealment, offering quick accessibility, if your shirt is untucked. For tucked carry, a tiny pocket pistol is my favorite.

#19 ·
I've had the .380 and still have the Micro 9. For pocket carry, the .380 is much easier to carry. However, because of the nearly identical weight and similar size between the two, I sold the .380 and carry the Micro 9 IWB with little problem concealing. For true pocket carry I have a M&P Bodyguard in an Aholster that can slip into any pocket unnoticed. It's significantly cheaper, smaller, and lighter than a Kimber and can take a beating from being in my back pocket all day.i don't have an Ultra Carry, but I do carry a similar size Sig Ultra Compact and I see no way for that to be carried in a pocket easily.

#21 ·
I just bought a micro raptor .380. I had been looking at them for a while. I thought about the 9 but decided the slightly smaller size of the .380 was more important to me than the power of the 9. I have a Ruger SP101 357 magnum if I want to carry something that packs more of a punch, but is heavier. I was basically open to either though. I went to a LGS and they had just one, and it was a .380, so I bought it. I'm taking it to the range for the first time tomorrow.

#22 ·
Congratulations on the new Micro Raptor, make sure you clean and lube it before making that first range trip. How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

#23 ·
Nice family 2sharp2!
The micro 9 probably of those three. Like 2sharp said I like the larger caliber of the 9n apposed to the .380. You might consider the CDP Micro 9 has the carry meld treatment for more rounded features less snag in pocket.

#24 ·
Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out this forum. I cleaned it and lubed it a bunch. Just went and shot about maybe 30 rounds through it. No real issues. I think it failed to lock back once and didn't go into battery the first time I released the slide. I think both times were me though. I'm used to revolvers. I'll post an intro. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.