500+ rounds - shoots very well - just one issue... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

500+ rounds - shoots very well - just one issue...

My third trip to the range with my micro .380. Very accurate using a variety of ammo. I have two 6 round and two 7 round mags. Only locks back on last round a majority of the time with one of the 6 round mag. (original mag). The other three very sporadic.
I now have 500+ rounds through her.
Johninsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

I can't speak to this gun and I've never even fired a .380 but the weak link in most every auto is the magazine. You may have to go through a few to find the ones that work as intended. I have 1911 mags that never fail and others that won't run three rounds in a row. This is why I have 17, 9mm, Sig Sauer magazines ...so far they're all good.
Johninsc, Trex, RugerLuger and 1 others like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

Another factor in the equation could be lightweight ammo versus self defense ammo if the cheap stuff is not pushing the slide back far enough it may not catch the slide stop.
RugerLuger, starnovi and PaulWVa like this.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #4

Two more factors, a loose grip and or week magazine springs.
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #5

All mags are brand new and I have focused on my grip. Only pistol I have ever owned with this issue. May have to place a call to Kimber.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #6

Do you have the new flat coil recoil spring?
Old 08-14-2017, 02:56 AM   #7

Check the slide lock, I had the same problem on my Pro Carry, it was bowed a little Called Kimber the sent one in the mail, problem fixed.
RustyIron and PaulWVa like this.
Dewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #8

My Micro 380 CDP was a great little shooter right out of the box. The only problem I ever had was failure to lock back after the final round was fired. I never considered this a fatal flaw, but definitely wanted to get it fixed.

I tried a wide variety of different ammunition, but the results were the same. The slide would lock back occasionally with my 3 short mags, but almost never with my 3 extended mags.

If I inserted an empty magazine and pulled the slide back manually, it would always lock open, with all magazines. I removed the slide and slipped magazines in and out while watching the mechanism for looseness, but that looked fine. I wiggled the magazine followers around to ensure there was no slop, and they were all tight.

During several different trips to the range, I ensured I was not limp-wristing the gun, or interfering with the slide lock lever or slide in any way while shooting it. I also paid close attention to how I was gripping the base of the magazines, to see if that made any difference, particularly with the extended mags. No change in shooting technique seemed to affect the symptoms in any way.

I changed out the slide lock spring with a new one from Kimber. I called Kimber, and they sent me a new slide lock lever. All the original symptoms still remained unchanged.

Finally, I requested an RMI from Kimber, and sent them the pistol and all six magazines.

I must say, Kimber Customer Service has been extremely supportive. I am looking forward to getting it back in a few weeks, and will share the results at that time.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #9

I spoke with a very friendly CS rep today. Explained the issue and we are going to try a new slide lock lever. If that does not fix the issue, she told me to call her back to make arrangements to send it back to them.
Never have an issue with empty mags or using snap caps.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #10

Yes it does have the new style recoil spring