SnowTao and Insta-Gator: range report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

SnowTao and Insta-Gator: range report

So, Gator and I met at Sharpshooters in Roswell (N of Atlanta) on Wednesday for a little expending of ammo...

Nice range. Good ventilation, a bit dark seeming (but I like a LOT of light... cataracts, here I come ). HUGE store... And you can shoot their 50 cal ...what do they call it? Not a BFG ... but, well, you guys know... for $12 a round!!

Gator very kindly let me shoot first -- his .40 -- which caliber I had never seen and know nothing about. (I can't even tell you the brand!) Big and heavy (now that I'm used to the Micro) and it had a big kick -- but (and I HAVE to brag!!!) I did a great job putting all the rounds through the guy's head! (What do you call it? A nice grouping? )

Let's see. I brought the Micro, the Compact CDP II, my S&W 9mm, and my much older S&W .357 Magnum revolver (with .38-spec rounds). (The dear-old revolver hasn't been shot in, like, 20 years?! Bought it when I got out of the Navy and left Philly for WA -- to drive across the country alone...)

2sharp? You'll be unsurprised to read that I tried working on my grip -- Gator was very helpful giving me some good suggestions... Argh. Still have a real problem with that! After trying a variety of ways, I ended up going back to my almost-'teacup' -- but using more force to hold the gun still(er). Need to work on it some more... (It's also very hard for righties to show a leftie how to do this stuff!!)(Or, at least, for THIS leftie to figure it out from the rightie's way of doing it!)

Ran 3-4 mags through the 9mm, but mainly wanted to concentrate on the Micro. Since I'm carrying that, I want to be very comfortable with it.

Let's see. I was not as enthralled with Michael's CDP this time -- the .45 IS a big round, and even though the kick was less with it than, say, the .40 (or so it seemed to me!), it's still WAY more than I like...

I shot Gator's (wife's) P238 (was it?) -- MUCH bigger recoil than the Micro. I didn't like it. The trigger was ... harder? heavier? Just less comfortable... Not the gun for me. Oh, and his Glock .. 17? I've never seen a double-stack mag before. Nice to shoot, but kinda ugly (no offense Gator!). (Is that the one they call a brick?)

The CDP started to cause trouble. It was jamming a LOT (like, I'd have to clear four rounds in a row to shoot the remaining three?) and even, one time, Gator had to go out and get the RSO to come and unjam it. While I was waiting for the RSO to come, I shot the Micro a bit more -- and IT jammed -- so I had the RSO clear it too on the same visit. So, IS it actually a problem with the gun(s) or the mag(s) -- or the nut behind the handle?! (It was after nearly an hour of shooting, so it could be that my hands were tired and I wasn't holding them as steady as I had been earlier? But I don't have a sense that it (I) was any different...)

Now, Gator tried his .45 mag in the CDP, and it ALSO (it is FTL? failed to load?) whatever-- the round wouldn't go... So, I'm gonna take it to the gunsmith (the guy who did the feedramp 8-10 years ago) to see if he can figure out what's wrong. Michael liked him and thought highly of his work, so that's good. I just hope he's still there!!

(I also wondered if maybe it's something that went wrong with Casey at Sandy Springs -- he was not familiar with the CDP and struggled to get it apart, and then back together... Maybe he put something back in wrong? Is that even possible?)

I'll have to let Gator fill in what he brought and shot. I was tickled that he thought I was very good at aiming (even if I AM bad at gripping ). I said I used to teach tai chi, so standing *still* and holding the aim aren't that hard for me. I also read decades ago that the actual moment of the firing should come as a surprise, that I should not be anticipating the place where the trigger launches the bullet, so I consciously do that. (Gator said he's shot so much he always knows when it's going to fire.)

It was a LOT of fun and Gator and I had a good if short time getting to know each other a bit outside the range (and on line when they opened). Hope to do it again sometime -- and 2sharp2 can make it down! (And Chuck? You should come down so you can try the Micro... may be quicker than your LGS gets one in! )

(Oh, and I managed to get the skin on the front/base of my pinkie finger caught IN the slide on the CDP. OWEE! Small avulsion injury and a lot of pain!)
RustyIron likes this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-16-2015, 04:42 AM   #2

^^^^^ What she said.

It was a pleasure meeting El.

Guns brought: Sig P238, Glock 23, Kimber CCCII, Kimber SCUHD.

El doesn't like big/heavy guns, apparently, so the SCUHD was not on her favorite list. I think she liked the CCCII, but it had the arched MSH. (MSH is now on it's way to Clarksville, TN)

For my eyes, Sharpshooters is way too dark in the shooting bays. I had difficulty picking up the front sight. El can really hold a steady shot, but the first one had better count Teacup hold isn't much good for recoil control.

We had a good time. We'll do it again.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:27 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Nice range report, it sounds like you guys had a great time. El, those jams that you mentioned could be caused by a weak grip. Did Gary get to shoot those guns and if so did they also jam on him?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #4

Sounds like to guys had a good day despite the minor injury.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Nice range report, it sounds like you guys had a great time. El, those jams that you mentioned could be caused by a weak grip. Did Gary get to shoot those guns and if so did they also jam on him?
Hey Chuck, Yes. Gary used both the (two) mags I had brought, and his own .45 mag in the CDP. And it was an O.M.G. jam on the CDP! The RSO had to really struggle to free it up! (The Micro jamming may indeed have been tired hands on my part; he had an easy time of unjamming it.)

The CDP started out okay (as I dimly remember) and then later started choking. The Micro started choking around the same time. (So, probably me? Except Gary wasn't able to keep the CDP from jamming either.) (AND it may not have started out okay... but I think it did -- I think I put maybe 2 mags through it, and Gary did one or two in the beginning and it shot fine...

So...? I'll see what the local guy says...
Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
El can really hold a steady shot, but the first one had better count Teacup hold isn't much good for recoil control.
And yet, when I tried to shoot quickly, I still made a pretty good grouping... That's one of the things I'm considering (from either laziness or a leftie not able to work out what you righties are doing!): If I AM able to reacquire my aim reasonably quickly, AND am able to hit my target pretty accurately AND pretty quickly.... maybe my modified teacup isn't the worst sin on the range? So long as I quit completely removing my right hand and regrasping my left with it between shots ... maybe Ill be okay...

But I will continue to work on grip -- I take seriously everyone pointing-and-laughing (okay, so I know you're not... well, mostly not... ) but I have to find a grip that works for me AND keeps me alive!
glokrok likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #7

El, Gary you just don't know how bad I wish I could have taken time to come down and shoot with you guys. El, as usual a detailed and entertaining range report. El, I have no doubt that when you "tea cup" the first bad guy he will be in serious trouble. It maybe helpful for you to get a better more tactical grip on the pistol for a lot of reasons. Just thought there may be some Youtube videos of good left hand shooters that may help?
I find it odd your CDP started having a problem. Hope it is something simple.
I think my range needs a little more light in the shooting box. I am going to ask them about the ventilation next time I go.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #8

That's awesome that you guys are able to meet up and shoot together...good times! I plan on starting to travel to Boise and Seattle for IDPA matches, and meet some new folks!
Insta-Gator likes this.
Dons1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #9

I think I'd like to attend a IDPA match to see what it is all about.
glokrok likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #10

One of these days is will take the time to understand the difference in all the competitive shooting groups. IDPA, IPSC, Pins ??? Not sure why, but seems like it might be fun, or at least a learning experience.
glokrok likes this.
Jflytle is online now   Reply With Quote