trigger pin ? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #1

trigger pin ?

I noticed that the trigger pin on my Micro is about flush with the frame on the slide stop side and protrudes a hair on the other? I'm not sure if it's been that way or is supposed to be that way? It's the silver pin in the picture. I'm presuming it should extend about equally on each side? If anyone with a Micro handy could take a look I'd be curious what's going on with yours? Thanks :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trigger pin.jpg (312.4 KB, 7 views)
Chuck43 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #2

Mine is exactly like you describe - it protrudes slightly more on the non slide stop side and is slightly more "rounded" on that side. It's always been this way and my Micro functions flawlessly so I'm thinking it's supposed to be this way. I'm no expert though so don't take my word for it.
Chuck43 and cousinmark like this.
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

Thanks for taking a look Elf1. Mine's probably been that way (she's been running fine) and I just never noticed? I brought the Micro with me this week for work and was looking her over when I noticed it. Earlier this evening I was able to tap on it with tools I keep in my car and it didn't budge at all so it's not like it's going to fall out :-)
In an online video for a Micro 9 trigger swap (Galloway Precision) they refer to it as a roll pin. I could be wrong but I thought a roll pin is hollow with a lengthwise cut? My pistol's serial # starts with an M and came equipped with the older recoil assembly. Maybe the newer units come with a different pin? The way they describe the reassembly, the pin should be equally recessed in the frame on each side. The pin I have is solid and at best will need to equally protrude on each side.
I'm going to give CS a call on Monday and see what I can find out.
If anyone has a different type pin please chime in.
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #4

It's fine, Mark. A truly OCD craftsman would make sure that the pin was symmetrical, but if it's a hair off, it's no big deal. You are correct in your understanding of a roll pin. The pin in the picture isn't.
Chuck43 and cousinmark like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #5

Thanks RustyIron, my concern was that it had drifted out of position while shooting and would eventually come out if not re-set. I'm admittedly a little on the OCD side of the fence but expect I can cope with it being a bit off center as long as it's not going to pop out :-)
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #6

A quick follow up...
I spoke with a Kimber CS rep today about the pin. She looked at a few pistols that were available and she said that on all of them the pin seemed to be either flush with the frame on each side of recessed on each side, none protruded. I didn't say anything to her but that doesn't make sense unless pins of different lengths have been used? I believe the Micro frames should all be the same width? She offered to have me send it in but I took a pass on that. I'm going to let the gunsmith at my LGS take a look and see if he can tap it in a hair.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
A quick follow up...
I spoke with a Kimber CS rep today about the pin. She looked at a few pistols that were available and she said that on all of them the pin seemed to be either flush with the frame on each side of recessed on each side, none protruded. I didn't say anything to her but that doesn't make sense unless pins of different lengths have been used? I believe the Micro frames should all be the same width? She offered to have me send it in but I took a pass on that. I'm going to let the gunsmith at my LGS take a look and see if he can tap it in a hair.
So. What's your take on it?

Did you get a better deal because your pin is bigger? (teasing of course)

Do you trust she looked at the same pin you did? I haven't looked at mine but am now curious. I'll check it out tonight.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #8

My take is that it's been that way and I never noticed. I'm thinking this is the case because my efforts to tap it in were unsuccessful. I think if it was loose enough to work itself out I'd have been able to get it back in using the tools I tried with?
The girl I spoke with seemed to know what she was doing so I'll take her word for it. We'll see if any other Micro owners chime in???
Old 09-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #9

When I had to send my Micro 380 back to Yonkersville, they changed the slide stop. When I got it back, the first thing I noticed was the new slide stop shaft did not protrude as much as the original one did. It is actually a little recessed which makes taking the slide stop out a little tricky. The original one protruded enough that I could press with my finger and it would pop up enough to grab and pull out.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #10

I stopped by my LGS (biggest Kimber dealer in my area) and had the smith look at my Micro. He said the pin in my pistol was "pressed" in and trying to use a hammer and punch would risk scratching the frame. He said it's probably been that way and I never noticed, must have been because I had tried using a hammer and punch last night and couldn't get it to budge, I doubt it has moved on it's own. Thankfully no scratch :-)
While I was there I took a look at the Micros they have in stock. On all the inventory, both .380s and 9s the trigger pin is a roll pin now and can be tapped in or out . My serial # being with "M" and the pistol was purchased almost 2 years ago, the press pin must have been used on older units.
JC45 likes this.