Flat nose ammo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #1

Flat nose ammo

I am wondering what experience folks are having with flat nose FMJ range ammo like that pictured below. My 1st Micro .380 had problems extracting/ejecting all types of ammo, but especially flat nose ammo. Kimber could not make the problem go away, so they replaced the firearm. The replacement also struggles extracting/ejecting flat nose ammo, but seems to cycle round nose FMJ ammo and XTP hollow points relatively well. For what it's worth, the flat nose ammo I have been using is Freedom Munitions RNFP 95 grain ammo (new, not reloads). The firearm is properly cleaned and oiled, and has the updated guide rod and spring. It has about 400 rds through it. The problem exists using 6 and 7 rd mags. What is your experience with flat nose ammo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171116_233234526.jpg (316.8 KB, 7 views)
starnovi likes this.

Last edited by Panzer; 11-16-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #2

I had tried the Winchester offering with flat nose and had several feeding issues out of the 100 rounds I had. I've just not bothered trying it again. There's plenty of RNFMJ that's cheaper, and like yourself I have no problems with XTP stuff so if she doesn't like FN I can live with that.
Glad she's doing well otherwise :-)
Panzer likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #3

It's been years since I've shot any flat nose, but I used to get a LOT of truncated cone bullets. They were cheap. I think they're all gone now, but there could be a few boxes of reloads remaining. There were never any problems as a result of using the TC ammo.
Panzer likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

My Micro .380 hated the flat nose. Never had a problem with anything else. Carried it with XTP because it ran well and worked. I just quit using flat nose at the range. I only had it because it was relatively cheap from FM.
Panzer likes this.
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #5

Yes, I had trouble feeding the flat nose too, just can't remember without going through my notes whether it was my Micro 380 or Micro 9. Recently tried some with my UC2 9mm for the first time and it did not like it.
Panzer likes this.

Heinie Lady Hawk 1911
Kimber Raptor 9mm full size SS
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Compact II 9mm
Kimber Micro 9 CTLG
Kimber Micro 380 Advocate
Sig Ultra Compact 2 tone 45 ACP
Sig P238 HD Nickel
Colt AR-15 9mm
CZ Rami 9mm
Glock 19
Glock 43
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro Series C.O.R.E.
Smith & Wesson M&P 22 compact
Walther PPS M2
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #6

Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
My Micro .380 hated the flat nose. Never had a problem with anything else. Carried it with XTP because it ran well and worked. I just quit using flat nose at the range. I only had it because it was relatively cheap from FM.
You hit the nail on the head. I bought up a bunch of the Freedom Munitions RNFP ammo cause it was cheap. Now it won't cycle through my Micro .380. Should have bought just 100-200 rounds and tried that first, but NO.... Oh well, I guess that can be my excuse for buying another firearm - something that will clear out my supply of flat nose ammo, assuming my wife buys the story!
wayne likes this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #7

I have the same issue my micro .380 won't run flat nose either. It also won't run steel cased.
Panzer likes this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I bought up a bunch of the Freedom Munitions RNFP ammo cause it was cheap. Now it won't cycle through my Micro .380. Should have bought just 100-200 rounds and tried that first, but NO.... Oh well, I guess that can be my excuse for buying another firearm - something that will clear out my supply of flat nose ammo, assuming my wife buys the story!
My Micro 380 had issues with the flat nose ammo early on up to around the 700 rnd count. I just used Remington and American Eagle because they were the only rounds I could get that were FMJ RN and it liked them. Recently bought some Choice Ammo in 380 that is RN Hollow Base and my Micro liked them, so I bought more. I'm approaching the 1000 round count on the Micro and each range trip, I've shot a few of the FM flat point rounds with no issues. I talked to a FM rep at a gun show a while back and he said they had no plans of offering the Round Nose ammo in 380. All my other 380s (Bodguard, Baby Rock, Browning 1911-380) shoot the flat point ammo without any problems. My Colt Mustang also has issues shooting the flat point ammo though. Never had a hiccup with the Mustang until I tried shooting the FM flat point ammo
Panzer likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #9

Pretty much flat nose ammo in a 1911 style/type pistol is just a malfunction waiting to happen!
Tejun, Panzer, Elf1 and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
My Bodyguard .380 handled it fine. I don't have my Micro .380 anymore. My Micro 9 is my EDC. I don't shoot my .380s much now that they are broken in for carry, so I just use the FM XTP for a few mags at the range to stay proficient and familiar. Cheap enough for no more than I shoot them.
Panzer and Wingnut like this.
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote