Bel Air 380 racking issues - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #1

Bel Air 380 racking issues

Hi all, new to Kimber (and here) and I have an issue that maybe someone can help. The wife bought a new Bel Air 380 from Field & Stream. When we originally handled the gun (2 different ones) she could easily rack it so we went back the next week and purchased one. When we picked it up and handled it the racking seemed extremely more difficult even for me. When the hammer is back it no issue but if the hammer is up its Very difficult. Obviously the others were Much easier. She is racking it correctly (has no problems with my Dan Wesson 45), any ideas?
Thanks!!
Audioi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2017, 05:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Audioi. Have you broken the gun down and cleaned and lubed it yet?

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.
Nellybelle likes this.

Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #3

^^^ What he said.
Nellybelle and Chuck43 like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 07:11 AM   #4

I'm not sure what your familiarity with new semi-auto pistols is in general, but usually right out of the box things will be pretty tight and tend to loosen up with a little use.

Example: Out of the box, my Micro 9 seemed to have a little grit in the trigger pull and a very tight magazine which made it hard to load and chamber the first round. While I made a mental note of it, I wasn't too worried. Even after I broke it down twice and cleaned it once, it's already noticeably smoother without taking it to the range yet.

As Chuck mentioned, cleaning it will probably help. Also if you have time, cycling the action and dry fire practice can also help, not only to "loosen up" the pistol, but also to get you more familiar with it. I'd say that I'd only start to be concerned if it isn't handling the way you want it after taking it out for a proper range day.
Tejun and Markie like this.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

Audioi, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

I suspect the "display" pistol you and your wife handled had hundreds if not thousands of cycles of the slide from curious lookers.
After your new from the box pistol has that many cycles it will also be smooth and easy as butter.
Nellybelle, Tejun, swca and 2 others like this.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #6

Greetings from Texas. Definitely take it apart and clean it after taking out of the box. If you keep having problems call Kimber Customer Service for further service. Enjoy the the new Micro 380.
Supertool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Audioi. Have you broken the gun down and cleaned and lubed it yet?

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.

Yes, ran 50 through it and cleaned then another 50 and cleaned, still feels the same, almost as if the hammer spring is on steroids!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Audioi View Post
Yes, ran 50 through it and cleaned then another 50 and cleaned, still feels the same, almost as if the hammer spring is on steroids!
Well as long as the stiff action is your only concern at this point and you haven't had any functioning failures, I'd say that you're in a good place. If after a few hundred more rounds it's still not to where you want it to be, then you can either take it to a gunsmith or make the adjustments yourself to get the tension to where you want it.

Personally, I'm more leery to make adjustments right off the bat as long as everything is functioning properly. However, I don't have much "home gunsmith" experience either, so that's another reason why it's out of my zone of comfort. Also if something does actually fail in the pistol, Kimber may void your warranty if they catch wind of any modifications that you've made.

Last edited by GoCart; 12-07-2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: sentence structure
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #9

Originally Posted by GoCart View Post
Well as long as the stiff action is your only concern at this point and you haven't had any functioning failures, I'd say that you're in a good place. If after a few hundred more rounds it's still not to where you want it to be, then you can either take it to a gunsmith or make the adjustments yourself to get the tension to where you want it.

Personally, I'm more leery to make adjustments right off the bat as long as everything is functioning properly. However, I don't have much "home gunsmith" experience either, so that's another reason why it's out of my zone of comfort. Also if something does actually fail in the pistol, Kimber may void your warranty if they catch wind of any modifications that you've made.

I think that I will contact Kimber since I don't have a chevy paint on hand.
GoCart likes this.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #10

Autioi,

Welcome to KT.
Most folks have captured some of the things I would suggest already. One other thing comes to mind. I'm sure the display model was without a magazine maybe ? Are you doing your cycling with or without a mag ?

I just experienced a similar problem with a new 380 (not Kimber) that occurred with the mag that it came with inserted.

When I would take the magazine out, cycling was as expected. Had purchased two additional mags and with both those in place, it would also cycle fine. Did some research and found they had mag follower issues with some of their mags and the one it came with had a different shaped follower than the others I had purchased. Called up their Customer Service and a new mag is on the way, saving a PITA event of sending it back to them.
Markie likes this.
Tejun is online now   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber 380 follower adhustment

Click on a term to search for related topics.