Building a grip? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #1

Building a grip?

This vid: Managing Recoil (Building a Proper Grip)
About half-way down the page...

9 Things New Shooters Need To Know About Training

Hey y'all! I need some (more) advice? I'm thinking this guy's description of how to grip the handgun seems very sound... (I'm still struggling with NOT holding a teacup! (I don't even like tea!))

It's always a problem for me to turn a demo around cause I'm a Southpaw... but I'm planning a range visit soon with a friend (not a Kimber guy -- yet!) and want to practice getting a decent/correct grip. My two 'areas of focus' for this visit are interconnected: building and practicing a good grip and controlling recoil/reacquiring aim...

As Gary-Gator said on our range trip: I've got the 'making a pretty grouping' thing down -- it's the weirdeo grip thing I need to fix! (Well HE didn't phrase it like that! )

El
Insta-Gator and buck119 like this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #2

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
This vid: Managing Recoil (Building a Proper Grip)
About half-way down the page...

9 Things New Shooters Need To Know About Training

Hey y'all! I need some (more) advice? I'm thinking this guy's description of how to grip the handgun seems very sound... (I'm still struggling with NOT holding a teacup! (I don't even like tea!))

It's always a problem for me to turn a demo around cause I'm a Southpaw... but I'm planning a range visit soon with a friend (not a Kimber guy -- yet!) and want to practice getting a decent/correct grip. My two 'areas of focus' for this visit are interconnected: building and practicing a good grip and controlling recoil/reacquiring aim...

As Gary-Gator said on our range trip: I've got the 'making a pretty grouping' thing down -- it's the weirdeo grip thing I need to fix! (Well HE didn't phrase it like that! )

El
Range visit with a NON KIMBER GUY? How dare you!! No telling what you might pick up from him! lol. Just kidding.
Maybe we are over thinking this. You are accurate with the tea cup hold so maybe you should not change it much, if at all.
I don't think tea cup is that big a problem, to me it is when you turn loose of your cup hand and reposition before the next shot.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

Interesting. I am re-learning the teacup grip now that I'm carrying the Stainless Compact II.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited by buck119; 02-21-2015 at 11:12 AM.
buck119 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

El, I admire the fact that you are seeking grip improvement. Most over look this very basic area...

For what it's worth, shooters that use the Teacup grip have a much more difficult time transitioning to a one handed grip, especially weak hand. I personally train pretty hard for one handed shots, both for IDPA proficiency and defensive reasons. Try deploying your sidearm from a seated position like your vehicle and get past your jacket, the seatbelt, the steering wheel, etc, and get your support hand up there as well...interesting huh? Or lets say you're carrying you Grandchild and you have no choice but to engage...

However, I will also say that i have been beat in shooting matches by people that 'Teacup'. So if it works for you...
Marshall and Zoomybaby like this.
Dons1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #5

El, holding on target for that first shot is definitely not your problem. But you have no recoil control and therefore any defensive follow up shots would be very far apart and probably way off target.

Given that you are a southpaw, I would ditch the videos and pay a qualified instructor to help you achieve your goal.
Dons1911 likes this.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

I think Gator is on to something...
Old 03-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #7

Originally Posted by 2sharp2
Range visit with a NON KIMBER GUY? How dare you!! No telling what you might pick up from him! lol. Just kidding.
How ELSE am I gonna get him to BUY a Kimber!!

Maybe we are over thinking this. You are accurate with the tea cup hold so maybe you should not change it much, if at all.
I AM pretty accurate, am'n't I?! I LIKE shooting! BANG! BANG!
(okay, gimme a break guys, I've barely finished my coffee -- I have VERY few neurons are connected at the moment...)

I don't think tea cup is that big a problem, to me it is when you turn loose of your cup hand and reposition before the next shot.
Maybe I need to learn/practice shooting one-handed -- just blow-off (well, not literally! ) the support hand entirely?
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #8

Morning El! Not using the support hand is a great idea, but only IF you practice not using your strong hand also!!! Just like all the possibilities of when, where, how, the attack may or may not happen, what if you accidentally cut or smash or strain your strong hand trigger finger? What cha gonna do? I plead with everyone I know to practice one handed. BOTH hands. Start close and work your way out. Prepare mentally for it. IF your strong hand is injured, be prepared both physically AND mentally for something to happen. The best preparation is practice.

I had an eye opening experience this week at the range with my wife. We had been shooting a while, and a friend came by and stopped to talk. While talking to him, I continued loaded magazines for the drills I was doing. You may know from other posts that I only use leather gear, and I carry 1 magazine on my left side. While talking to our friend, a handful of .45's in my left hand, I reached for my magazine and attempted to remove it with my right hand. Now realize I shoot upwards of 12K rounds a year, take classes regularly, and practice deployment and reloading drills at home regularly. I'm not great but I do OK. I could not for the life of me get that magazine out of the pouch. I pulled and pulled, all to no avail. Now I'm not so proud as to play of my struggle in front of my friend as an equipment malfunction...no, I simply accused him of slipping some bubble gum into my mag pouch while I was reloading! After a laugh, he said that from his point of view he could see that I wasn't deploying the magazine straight out of the pouch. We looked at what I was doing and he was right. That pouch is made to be carried on the left side, and the magazine pulled with the left hand. Makes perfect sense unless your weak hand is injured. If your weak hand is injured, you can probably shoot OK if you've practiced, but can you reload with your strong hand only? I obviously could not...at least not then. I have practiced that now and can deploy my spare magazine from my left side just fine with my right hand using my standard carry gear. I am very thankful the good Lord sent our friend over to say hi that day, what a learning experience!!!
patton53 likes this.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Dons1911
El, I admire the fact that you are seeking grip improvement. Most over look this very basic area...
Wouldn't have even known if I hadn't read up about it -- and then 2sharp up in TN (I think?) mentioned it, and then Gator here in GA mentioned it (well, they gently pointed it out ) -- cause *I* never even saw the "letting go"! It's VERY useful to go shoot with Kimber-Talkers (and maybe, other lesser, humans...) because they see things I don't!

For what it's worth, shooters that use the Teacup grip have a much more difficult time transitioning to a one handed grip, especially weak hand. I personally train pretty hard for one handed shots, both for IDPA proficiency and defensive reasons. Try deploying your sidearm from a seated position like your vehicle and get past your jacket, the seatbelt, the steering wheel, etc,
I'm a leftie -- NONE of that stuff is in my way! Just the edge of the door! In fact, I've been reading up on door-pocket holsters; kinda-maybe would like a gun always mounted in the car... except I always worry when I leave a gun in the car... Even locked in the glovebox or trunk... just doesn't feel safe enough for me! Cars are too easy to break into....all that glass...

and get your support hand up there as well...interesting huh? Or lets say you're carrying you Grandchild and you have no choice but to engage...
However, I will also say that i have been beat in shooting matches by people that 'Teacup'. So if it works for you...
Just cause I'm now getting caffeinated, I'm going to ramble on... (thinkin' out loud, Richard! ) one of the (most important, maybe?) things I've spent the last couple years (since Michael died) in his business is 'visiting' (not 're-visiting' cause I was never there in the first place...) all the parts and processes that make (or make up) the gauges. Some of the most awkward and stupidly multi-step 30-year-old processes to make components "because that's the way we've always done it" -- and some of them I was not even physically capable of doing! (I even won $5000 !! in a business contest for giving advice to new biz owners!! Click on the winner tab: https://www.incorporate.com/five_tips_giveaway.html )

I think it's vital to keep looking at "how we do it" (whatever it is....) to see if there's a better way. As I suggested in my winning entry , if one process IS working (is producing a usable result) and another isn't? Hit the non-working one first. If lots of really smart guys say: teacup is not optimal? I will consider whether it's a thing I should discard... BUT -- the thing I will work on before that is: is it really a bad thing to release the support hand and re-secure it? (Not doubting you guys, Arland and Gary, but if I am able to reacquire aim even with the release, then it may not be the 'next thing' to address... But -- until I know, I will investigate!)

I'm trying out (a GREAT!) holster (came two days ago...) and once I have enough experience with it, I will of course write a review in our holster area... I'm also still hoping there will be a FlashBang that suits the Micro...

However, having never worn a holster -- the whole "getting the gun out of a holster' thing is awkward and hard and ... not yet working!

Mas Ayoob, is it? Maybe Rory Miller? (someone in the 8-9 books I'm reading currently; I'm pretty sure it's Rory Miller) describes folks who get a gun and carry it -- as a magic talisman against violence: they don't do the work of learning HOW (and when) to use it -- just feel (not think) that having it "with" them makes them safe. At the moment, I am CERTAINLY one of those! (alas.)

I'm still carrying the wee Micro without a round chambered. I recognize and acknowledge that is REALLY bad! However, I am ... pretending ... that because I am in a very safe area and almost never go out except to grocery shop or go visit my suppliers; IF I ever were confronted by a bad guy, I would be able to go through my planned 'let me get my heart meds' / withdraw the gun... {shrug} WAY less than optimal.

IF I go somewhere "dangerous" I will carry the 9mm, with which I am entirely ready. When I go down near the airport for Branca's half-day seminar later this year, I will either (by then) have gotten the ambi-safety -- and much, much practice with the Micro, so I will carry it loaded and ready -- or I will carry the 9mm!

Again, not optimal -- but life is an exercise in improvements.

El
patton53 likes this.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #10

Actually, my plan this next week (with my not-yet-a-Kimber-man friend) is to ask the range officer if I may try out shooting from retention. With my new holster (I suspect the range will NOT allow me to draw-and-shoot, and that's fine for now), I need to see if shooting from retention is something I can be comfortable with. A few years down the line, perhaps I'll do IDPA or some other such practicing. Been watching YouTube vids on the Tueller drill. (EEK!) That fer shure increases my desire to get better -- and practiced! Esp. this:
)

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 03-15-2015 at 09:17 AM.