Had major problems at the range today - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

Had major problems at the range today

3rd time to range with my Raptor Micro .380 and with FTF and FTE I noticed the mags both 7 and the 6 rd that came with the gun just went in loose with no resistance at at all, if they didn't snap in would have fell out.
I also felt they made noise when moved. Spring stuck in both mags.
Then after using my wifes mag better but also noticed my slide in my opinion felt like no recoil spring at all. I know it's a light spring but this weak after less the 200 rounds.
I will call Kimber but not feeling good about this weapon right now.
I cleaned and lubed after each session only shooting 50 FMJ ammo to break in.

Not new to 1911's as I have a Dan Wesson and another Kimber .45 that has been great.
Just a little upset as I really liked this gun.
Thor1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Welcome to the site from Tennessee! Don't own a Micro so not sure where you should start. Maybe a totally new magazine would be a place to start.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #3

Have over 500 rounds through my micro now, had FTF, didn't go all the way into battery on first round out of mag. Had to push slide forward about 1/16 of a inch. I attributed this to the stiff mag spring being new and only having a 8 pound slide spring. I kept my mags loaded all the time and this problem is now gone. Also if you still have a problem you can also swap a Colt Mustang 12 pound slide spring. Load up your mags and let them sit for a while, then see how it runs at the range. Mines 100 percent now.
Chuck43, Marshall and 2sharp2 like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Thor1030.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

Thor1030, Another welcome from Northern Illinois. I'm sure the folks a the Mothership will take care of you. I've had mine for a couple of months now, with no problems like you are describing. Let us know what happens so we can all learn.

John
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Thor1030 View Post
3rd time to range with my Raptor Micro .380 and with FTF and FTE I noticed the mags.
Do you think the standard magazine from a SIG P238 might work in your pistol?

I have a couple here I never use. If you think your defensive Micro might work better, I'll contact Chuck and get them to you, no charge.

A defensive gun has to go "bang" every time.
glokrok likes this.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #7

I have over 400+ rounds goes bang every time. I know what you mean about the recoil spring. Seems very soft but it does work fine. I did send it back with out of the box issues where it failed to go completely back into battery. Sounds like something wrong with the mag or the mag locking mechanism. I would send it back they should resolve the issue. I can shake mine and everything is rock solid. Good luck and let us know.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #8

Phil, per your request, these are the magazines I will be sending tomorrow. I have shown the bottom of the mags, and the followers. I have never owned a Micro, and you might need some info from the more savvy members here on how to do minor fitting.

Good luck.

001.JPG
Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #9

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Phil, per your request, these are the magazines I will be sending tomorrow. I have shown the bottom of the mags, and the followers. I have never owned a Micro, and you might need some info from the more savvy members here on how to do minor fitting.

Good luck.

Attachment 5812
Thanks for everything. I saw that the Sig standard Mags work but extended need trimmed.
I will let everyone know how they work... Wow again Thank You
Thor1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Thor1030 View Post
Thanks for everything. I saw that the Sig standard Mags work but extended need trimmed.
I will let everyone know how they work... Wow again Thank You
Good, I did not know that standard mags work without fitting. My total experience with a Micro is seeing it in a display case. I have never held one or fired one.

Conventional wisdom (which is worth hardly anything) would dictate that a Colt Government (or Mustang), a P238 and a Micro are all the same design. But for your purposes, is the magazine release slot in the same exact place? I don't know.

BTW, while I replaced all of my SIG magazines with extended ones, when I used these two I never had a stoppage.

Search tags for this page
kimber 380 micro magazine problems
kimber 380 problems

kimber micro 380 problems

kimber micro carry ftf
kimber micro carry issues

kimber micro carry problems

kimber micro problems

problems with kimber micro
Click on a term to search for related topics.