Odd Micro Raptor Event - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #1

Question Odd Micro Raptor Event

Really, odd, I bought 2 kimber 7 round mags for my Micro Raptor and since using them at the range the slide locks open every time on the 5th round, as though the mag is empty:confused. Leaving numbers 6 & 7 in the magazine. I can hit the slide release and it cycles the last 2 rounds and locks back empty. This did not happen with just one mag, but both 7 rounders and every time.

Anyone have this experience or any ideas as to what is happening. If I use the 6 round mags, it cycles all six rounds and then locks back.

All help will be very welcome, Thanks

Last edited by HiddenPuppy; 06-23-2015 at 05:50 AM.
HiddenPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

It has occasionally happened to me with my Micro. I think for some reason the rounds are not as well seated or loosen up and the tip of the round just touches the slide lock to make it lock open. For me it happens with American Eagle 95 gr FMJ round but not my Remington Golden Saber. It may be the shape and size of the round and the tight fits with the slide lock. What I have done is when the gun is when assembled I push the nub of the slide release (right side of pistol) as hard as I can. It moves it just a hair. Enough to give clearance to all rounds. It resolves the problem. I have considered filing the slide lock just a hair. It has been recommended with other guns on other forums. It is not unique to the Micro. Good luck hope this helps.
HiddenPuppy likes this.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Oreste View Post
It has occasionally happened to me with my Micro. I think for some reason the rounds are not as well seated or loosen up and the tip of the round just touches the slide lock to make it lock open. For me it happens with American Eagle 95 gr FMJ round but not my Remington Golden Saber. It may be the shape and size of the round and the tight fits with the slide lock. What I have done is when the gun is when assembled I push the nub of the slide release (right side of pistol) as hard as I can. It moves it just a hair. Enough to give clearance to all rounds. It resolves the problem. I have considered filing the slide lock just a hair. It has been recommended with other guns on other forums. It is not unique to the Micro. Good luck hope this helps.
Will give this a try and see what happens. Thanks so much for the advice. At least now I know I am not the only one, that has noticed this.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #4

Like Oreste says. The base to ogive varies with ammo maker due to the varying profile of the projectile. Pull the slide stop and look at the bottom of the lobe. Probably find copper colored jacket material indicating where the bullet is striking it slightly and causing lock up. If not us a marker and mark it. Shoot the gun some pull the stop and look where the market has been rubbed off when the stoppage occurs. Dress that area and polish with small file. Need enough lobe to be engaged by mag follower to lock back when empty but not too much so the rounds can hit it.

Or just shot ammo that does not cause it. Not the answer for me.

Or send it back to Kimber.
HiddenPuppy likes this.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
Like Oreste says. The base to ogive varies with ammo maker due to the varying profile of the projectile. Pull the slide stop and look at the bottom of the lobe. Probably find copper colored jacket material indicating where the bullet is striking it slightly and causing lock up. If not us a marker and mark it. Shoot the gun some pull the stop and look where the market has been rubbed off when the stoppage occurs. Dress that area and polish with small file. Need enough lobe to be engaged by mag follower to lock back when empty but not too much so the rounds can hit it.

Or just shot ammo that does not cause it. Not the answer for me.

Or send it back to Kimber.

Again, thanks for the advice, will give it a try.

Can't believe how helpful the folks around here are!!!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #6

Originally Posted by HiddenPuppy View Post
Again, thanks for the advice, will give it a try.

Can't believe how helpful the folks around here are!!!
I think because it tends to be a more mature crowd. That and Chuck doesn't allow the juvenile BS that often occurs on other sites where the kids like to get into dick measuring contests.
Chuck43, Oreste, Chickadee and 3 others like this.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #7

With what all you guys are saying, I think I will give Kimber a call. Not sure I trust myself to start filing on an $800 gun. I feel I am pretty competent, but if I screw it up, then contact Kimber I am lost. I will give them a call in about 1 hour and get back with you.

Again, thanks to each of you!!! You are truly the best!!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #8

Thumbs up

I called Kimber and they are sending out a new slide stop, a new mag and are asking me to change 1 at a time and test, if that solves it they will send me another mag to replace the other 7 rounder if it is the slide stop, they said "merry Christmas" for the mag they are sending.

I can't wait to see if one of those two change the situation. I will keep you posted.

Again, thanks for all the help, I feel this is more of a "family" than a forum.
Insta-Gator likes this.

Last edited by HiddenPuppy; 06-23-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HiddenPuppy View Post
Again, thanks for all the help, I feel this is more of a "family" than a forum.
Thank you, if that's the feeling you're getting then we must be doing something right. If you'd like to get to know some of the members a little better check out the "Chatting Thread II". Some of the old timers check in there every morning and check out there at night. You'll also notice that grandchildren are bragged about, adult beverages are talked about, teasing and tomfoolery abound and we use actual first names.
HiddenPuppy likes this.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
I would say thats some prompt customer service.
HiddenPuppy likes this.