Should I trade my Micro .380 for a Sig P365? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #1

Should I trade my Micro .380 for a Sig P365?

OK, here’s the deal — I had one Micro .380 that Kimber eventually replaced after returning it 3 times because they could not fix its failure to reliably extract/eject spent rounds. I have put about 400 rounds through the replacement in the last 14 months and it is just as unreliable as the 1st one — approximately 5% of the spent rounds are not fully extracted from the chamber causing jams with the incoming new round. It is out of warranty but I hear Kimber may fix it at their cost anyway if I should choose to contact Customer Service.

So along comes the Sig P365 last January. I like it very much and am considering trading the Kimber for the Sig. Our local Scheels sells the Sig P365 for $530, but they would put me on a waiting list to receive one. Scheels will give me $475 for my Kimber (DC model with laser grips — MSRP $1095 on Kimber’s web site). So for $55 which includes tax + a $2 FOID fee and no FFL fee, I can get a brand new firearm that has a lifetime guarantee, holds more rounds, packs more punch, and may be more reliable, but is only marginally larger and heavier than the Kimber.

I really like the Kimber’s fit, finish, size, weight, appearance, soft recoil, easy to rack slide, and 1911 heritage. I have absolutely no problem with it being a .380. In short, I’d rather keep it than trade it, but I will not send it back to Kimber 3 times if they will even take it back since it is out of warranty. I am hesitant to put several hundred rounds through it trying to get the right combination of magazines and/or ammo to dial it in. I could take it to a gunsmith on my dime, but that is crapshoot too if he/she has no experience with the Micro .380. I should probably try a few boxes of different ammo before I give up on it completely - suggestions on ammo?

My question to you is — should I trade in the Kimber? You folks are the experts and I highly value your input on this matter. If there is a clear consensus of opinion, I will probably follow your advice. I have 3 weeks left on Scheels’ offer.

FYI — ammo I have put through this .380 includes Fiocchi XTP, Freedom Munitions XTP, PMC ball, and Fiocchi ball — all of which have experienced failures. The extractor passes the test of holding a spent round while shaking the slide a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170531_171559631.jpg (1.32 MB, 14 views)
cousinmark likes this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #2

No, don't trade it and loose all that $.
Panzer likes this.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:01 AM   #3

Offer it for sale in the classified section for $475.00 I have a feeling it wont last long. that should answer your question..
Panzer and Wingnut like this.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:20 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I'd contact Kimber and see about getting it fixed before I did anything else.
JC45, Panzer and Supertool like this.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:57 AM   #5

I have the micro 380 and 9, both are greatguns and shoot as expected. I also have the new sig p365, got it from cabelas in march. Just called and they had 6 in stock for 549. It is a excellent gun you won't be disappointed. Now it's hard to pocket carry, and I wouldn't because its got a light trigger and no safety. That being said I only itw carry. Anything else I use my kimber solo, micro 9 or 380, very easy to conceal and comfortable, reliable. But the only person to decide is you. Every one is different, try to see if any ranges nave them to try out and you decide. It sounds like your 380 experience left a sour taste in your mouth!
Panzer and oldognewtrick like this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #6

Hey, if you're done you're done???
I hate to see you take such a hit in the wallet though? I might try to get it fixed or replaced with a Micro 9 and then trade or sell it? As you may recall I've got a thing about stuff working as it should, that little shooter would already been sent back to Yonkers, ATTN LESLIE !!!
Keep in mind the price on the Sig will more likely than not drop a good bit if you wait a while? The Christmas sales will be starting up pretty soon again. I've opted to go with a Ruger LC9s with a safety for my travel gun (my Micro's too nice). IWB a T-shirt will cover it just fine, it's reliable and the price is right.
Panzer likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I like the Micro .380 enough to invest a bit more in it to see if it can be made reliable. I took it to a gunsmith today to see what he could do with it. Since it is out of warranty and I have little confidence in Kimber's gunsmiths, I figured this was the best route for me to go. I'll report back when he has had a chance to work his magic on it.

Scheels determines the value of a used firearm, then offers you 70% of that value when making a trade. Based on that, they figured my Micro was worth about $675, hence they offered me $475 for it on trade.

I really like the Sig P365, but in thinking about the trade, I began to consider what I would give up and what I would gain.

In my mind, the Sig has 4 main advantages over the Kimber:

(1) Reliability - Enough said already.

(2) Capacity - 11 or 13 rds for the Sig vs. 7 or 8 rds for the Kimber. I doubt I would carry an extra mag for the Sig since they are more bulky than the Kimber 6 round mag that I do carry. So my total capacity for the Kimber is 14 rounds, albeit a mag change is required to get there. Not sure which firearm gets the advantage for capacity, probably the Sig.

(3) Lifetime warranty - The Sig definitely wins on this one.

(4) Power - The Sig, being a 9mm, also wins here, but I am perfectly content with the .380 round, so this is of no consequence to me.

The Kimber has several advantages of its own that I mentioned in my 1st post above. To me, they trump the advantages of the Sig as long as the Kimber can be made reliable.

Since the Sig P365 has been the hot CCW for 2018 so far, I imagine the other manufactures are also busy working on their own P365 clones. By the time of the 2019 Shot Show, I bet there will be several similar CCWs to choose from. Even if I choose to dump the Kimber, I may wait to see what is introduced at the next Shot Show.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #8

I also own a SIG .380 ACP that refuses to provide a stoppage--even when it's so filthy you have to almost have to hand force the new magazine into position. I will die with this little pistol--one way or the other.

Having said that, I'd send the Kimber to Yonkers with a complete letter explaining the stoppages and several sticks of brass which failed to feed or eject. They'll have scratches on them that might give the gunsmith a clue.

Personally I'd have the ramp polished and the extractor (maybe even the ejector) replaced as part of routine maintenance.
Panzer likes this.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #9

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I also own a SIG .380 ACP that refuses to provide a stoppage--even when it's so filthy you have to almost have to hand force the new magazine into position. I will die with this little pistol--one way or the other.

Having said that, I'd send the Kimber to Yonkers with a complete letter explaining the stoppages and several sticks of brass which failed to feed or eject. They'll have scratches on them that might give the gunsmith a clue.

Personally I'd have the ramp polished and the extractor (maybe even the ejector) replaced as part of routine maintenance.
Been there, done that. No confidence in Kimber's gunsmiths. Others have had great success, but not me.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Been there, done that. No confidence in Kimber's gunsmiths. Others have had great success, but not me.
In that case, see if Terry Tussey is still working. He built all of my pistols back when men were men and sheep were nervous.

www.tusseycustom.com/
Tejun likes this.

Search tags for this page

did sig fix the p365 problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.