• 6 Post By Chuck43
  • 5 Post By 2sharp2
  • 2 Post By cousinmark
  • 2 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #1

micro .380 tech question

im new to this weapon and in the process of picking one up
i want to know what is what seems to be a cutout on back of grip handle with what also seems to be a cover plate
what am i missing here and what is what im seeing
looking for a helpful answer before going to shop to put one in my hands
Chuck43 and cousinmark like this.
Electricsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

the spring cover
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Super Moderator

That's the "Mainspring Housing", check out this video in our "Gunsmith" sub forum. It will give you an idea of what the part is and what it does.

There are a lot of good instructional video's in that sub forum that a lot of members have never looked at.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #4

...I noticed that "diamond" model you were looking for on GunBroker for $855.00 a few days ago. Did you buy one?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #5

no i didnt pin one down as yet
im putiing it off a bit but got one in mind there is a place in tennesee thats got one at a fair peice and they have been great as far as pr goes so when im ready im going with that one if its still for sale

so out of box what can i do to make this gun more reliable
if someone can put together a list of upgrades right off thd bat would be helpful and would like to modify before i start shooting
so place that list herd or post a link to a good modification protocol for the micro .380acp
Electricsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Get it broken in first and see what you think you'd like to see improved. The gun you shoot the first time out and the gun you have after breaking it in are going to be different animals.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #7

not exactly a competition gun
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Electricsteel View Post
no i didnt pin one down as yet
im putiing it off a bit but got one in mind there is a place in tennesee thats got one at a fair peice and they have been great as far as pr goes so when im ready im going with that one if its still for sale

so out of box what can i do to make this gun more reliable
if someone can put together a list of upgrades right off thd bat would be helpful and would like to modify before i start shooting
so place that list herd or post a link to a good modification protocol for the micro .380acp
Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Get it broken in first and see what you think you'd like to see improved. The gun you shoot the first time out and the gun you have after breaking it in are going to be different animals.

You must be talking about Bud's Gun Shop! They are good to deal with, nice place, friendly people I've been there a few times.
I agree with Chuck's post and would like to add some points of interest. How did you come up with the idea that your brand new 380 Micro would need a whole list of modifications to be reliable? I will say up front I don't own a 380 Micro but I have fired a good friend of mine (Snowtao) a good bit.
You asked: "so out of box what can i do to make this gun more reliable?" Simple answer: Clean it and LUBE the crap out of it. LUBE, LUBE, LUBE is the Key Word. Yes, I mean run it WET.
I have a few Kimber's and I've never had to modify or change any internal part to make any of them reliable. You just have to chose the model version that the external looks appeal to you the most because the internals will all be the same.
IMO your asking for a list that does not exist.
There are a lot of 380 Micro's for sale on GunBroker.
Chuck43, Tejun, cousinmark and 2 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:26 AM   #9

One thing to check would be the recoil set up. If you're buying from a shop you should be able to have a look prior to purchasing. If the pistol they have in stock is a few years old it may have an older recoil spring and guide rod. Kimber updated those parts and will replace them for free if need be. The updated spring is a flatwire.
Like Uncle Chuck and 2sharp2 said though you're going to want to break in the pistol anyways. Clean lube and repeat after each 100 rounds. Maybe 4-5 hundred rounds of 95gr RN FMJ ammo should do the trick. More likely than not if you (or your better half) like the looks of the Diamond model you'll be good to go.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
not exactly a competition gun
...nope, but they are some NICE pocket pistols.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.