First range visit Micro .380 Deep Cover - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

First range visit Micro .380 Deep Cover

So like the title says, I was at the range last night with my new micro 380. It has the updated guide rod and flat recoil spring. I was using Speer Lawman 95g round nose fmj, also Monarch 95g round nose fmj, and some Remington flat nose fmj. All together put about 125 rounds through it. Prior to the range I field stripped cleaned and lubed it well. The first 25 to 30 rounds went well, then I was experiencing failure to feed at a rate of about two per magazine after that. The slide would get hung open as if it was on the last round, however I could not just pull the slide back. I had to drop the magazine, then release the slide. I believe the bullet was hanging up on the feed ramp & It almost felt like the slide was sticky after the range trip. On a more positive note, the gun is very accurate at 5 yards. The recoil is very light and it is a beautiful gun. I Plan on giving it another thorough scrubbing today, a good lube and try another 200 rounds tonight.
Cybercycle likes this.
Tamlibtoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #2

I had a similar problem with a Sig P238.

My only .380 is a CZ P83. It is a superb weapon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CZ83.jpg (534.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Aggie; 01-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #3

I don’t what’s wrong but I know some guns just don’t feed flat-nose ammo well. Is this happening with everything you shoot ? If it is I would try another range visit like you said and if the problem still exists call Kimber.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #4

JC45, I only had about 25 rounds of the flat nose, but it was happening with the round nose as well.
JC45 likes this.
Tamlibtoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #5

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
I don’t what’s wrong but I know some guns just don’t feed flat-nose ammo well. Is this happening with everything you shoot ? If it is I would try another range visit like you said and if the problem still exists call Kimber.
I agree with JC45, flat nose ammo can be problematic in the Micro .380 based on my own personal experience.

If you continue to have problems, keep track of what ammo you shot and the nature of the problem. Don’t automatically think the gun will heal itself. It may, but probably won’t. Contact Kimber and let them sort things out. It is crazy to fire $150-$200 in ammo plus gas and range time, only to discover you have a problem that Kimber will ultimately have to fix. The sooner you get it back to Kimber, the sooner you will be a happy camper. Kimber’s customer service is friendly and will help you get the Micro working properly, hopefully.
RustyIron and JC45 like this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Tamlibtoim View Post
So like the title says, I was at the range last night with my new micro 380. It has the updated guide rod and flat recoil spring. I was using Speer Lawman 95g round nose fmj, also Monarch 95g round nose fmj, and some Remington flat nose fmj. All together put about 125 rounds through it. Prior to the range I field stripped cleaned and lubed it well. The first 25 to 30 rounds went well, then I was experiencing failure to feed at a rate of about two per magazine after that. The slide would get hung open as if it was on the last round, however I could not just pull the slide back. I had to drop the magazine, then release the slide. I believe the bullet was hanging up on the feed ramp & It almost felt like the slide was sticky after the range trip. On a more positive note, the gun is very accurate at 5 yards. The recoil is very light and it is a beautiful gun. I Plan on giving it another thorough scrubbing today, a good lube and try another 200 rounds tonight.

The Micro's seem to need more lube, in other words run it WET! Stop with the flat nose ammo.
Ice-and-Snow and Karens like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 01-12-2019 at 12:50 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #7

Like the above post states, run them wet till there broken in. If you still have problems polish the feed ramp and throat, I did it and it cured everything on my micro 9. There are some posts on how to do it on u tube and this forum , or you could send it back to kimber if your not comfortable.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Tamlibtoim View Post
Happy yo hear you like your .380. I have a Raptor and have gone around with keeping it, giving it up, trips the the mother ship and back. I have found that mine does not like flat nose rounds of any kind. I use Remington UMC, Fiocchi and can run more than 150 through it at a time. Once in a while I have hiccup and I think its me loading more than the firearm. Give it a chance and run it wet for a while like Sharp said, I guarantee you are going to love it!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
My only .380 is a CZ P83. It is a superb weapon.
That was the same pistol I took to my CCW class to fire for my license.

Now, my present .380 is a P238, which never has a stoppage. Then again, neither did either one of my CZ 83s.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #10

My first 380 was a Glock 42. That thing ate all ammo. Always ran perfect but I wanted something smaller so I sold the Glock and bought a Sig P238. As good as the Glock was, the Sig was even better. It racks like butter, fires light, has a decent trigger and after about 800 rounds through it so far I can’t ever recall a failure of any type.
If the Kimber 380’s are anything like my micro 9 I would not be impressed.
They look great, have a good feel but they have issues.
I have a number of handguns from other leading brand manufacturers but I have to say my Kimber is the only firearm I have ever had to send back to get repaired.
They say their firearms are built with very close specifications. I call BS to that excuse. My HK is supposedly built with close specs, never had an issue with that.
Foneman is offline   Reply With Quote