Micro 380 Raptor Stainless - Disappointed - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #1

Micro 380 Raptor Stainless - Disappointed

Greetings everyone. My first post on Kimber Talk and hoping to contribute. Having some issues with my 380 and wanted to get some feedback. I was having FTF issues as well as slide not moving forward all the way when finally deciding to feed or should I say partially feed. Called Kimber and they paid for pistol to be returned for warranty repair. So far so good. Sent pistol out 2/5. Pistol repaired and shipped back to me 2/7 and received back on 2/8. Great customer service as far as turn around time is concerned. Kimber performed the following:

1. Recoil spring, safety plunger spring, slide stop, and slide stop spring replaced.

2. Barrel refinished

3. Chamber reamed and polished

4. Extractor adjusted.

To say how initially disappointed I was with this pistol is an understatement. Very expensive 380 and was expecting much better performance. Expressed that to Kimber and because of how they handled the warranty and how quickly they returned to pistol to me I was hoping to regain some confidence with the pistol. Sad to say not the case. When I received pistol I loaded a 6 round magazine with FMJ, pulled slide back to put one in chamber.... All good. I think ok nice. So remove round from chamber and proceed to test number two. Remove magazine, pull back slide and lock back to mimic last round fired scenario. Meaning after firing final round slide comes back and remains open. Place magazine and instead of using slide lock lever to engage I grab slide to pull back and no go. Pull, pull, pull, and will not release, slide forward, or load a round.. After 4 attempts it finally loads round but does not fully slide forward, hence not ready to fire. Ok.. try a few times (rinse and repeat) and same thing. Totally disappointed. Now on the repair paperwork from Kimber it says they fired 3 mags of FMJ and 1 mag of JHP. I'm guessing when gunsmith tested the pistol he must have used the slide lock lever to engage because if he tried pulling the slide instead he would have seen the issue. Questions:

Why wouldn't the gunsmith try pulling back slide to engage? This baffles me. There are only two methods to load a new round from fresh magazine when slide is locked open. Why not try both methods?? Makes sense right? Maybe not.

To add insult to injury pistol was also inspected by QC. I would love to know the scope of the quality control inspection. Was he or she eating a sandwich that day and decided not to perform a QC check? Maybe took the word of the gunsmith who repaired pistol? I don't know. I cant see how this pistol was touched by two people and returned to me in non working order or should I say full working order. I'm sorry everyone, this is terrible. This is not a toy and right now my sons nerf gun is more reliable then my Kimber. I have plenty of experience with pistols and I can't think of any special way to pull the slide back to engage the next round/mag. Nor should I. For now this pistol is a paper weight. Called Kimber and they want me to return again. Told them I was disgusted with this pistol. I have zero confidence that this pistol will function god forbid I ever need it. What are these people doing at the factory. No pride.. No attention to detail... No thinking. I'm not even a gunsmith and I would have checked every possible function of the pistol before returning to customer. What to do? Sorry I'm not accepting sub par service or a sub par product. I refuse to do any work around or load pistol a certain way because "that's how the pistol likes to be loaded." I refuse to accept the fact that certain ammo will not work with pistol. You should be able to put any quality ammo and have a functioning pistol. Other top brands do..

Another issue. I am super anal with keeping pistol clean and properly maintained. I sent them pistol in pristine condition and get it back filthy. After you fire your test rounds, clean the pistol. Why you ask? For starters give back as you receive. Secondly why not field strip and check over everything. Check the guide rod, guide rod spring, slide stop, etc... Look for striations, check over your work, go over the functions.. Nope..... zip zero. So in conclusion.. As of now Kimber gets a A+ for honoring warranty and turn around time. Unfortunately they get an F on the actual service. Getting tired of quality going down the tubes. Nobody give a sh*t. Customer service reps tell you what you want to hear. Send you a shipping label etc. Gunsmiths are not thorough, QC does not do QC.. again I would love to know the scope of QC. Are they just making sure the box is properly packed and labeled or are they going over the work performed. Come on Kimber. Change you message while on hold. Kimber is not "what all guns should be" Back it up. Its more like "what all guns shouldn't be". Everyones thoughts and input are greatly appreciated. I am disappointed and disgusted. My sig.. perfect.. My Beretta.. like glass.. (never shot anything like my Beretta). Smith & Wesson 5906 - work horse. S & W 44 - perfect.. Kimber.. ******* You all can fill in the blanks..

R
Mr.Chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #2

I’ve said it many time on this forum, but you are new, so perhaps it bears saying again. Kimber customer service reps are good, but their gunsmiths aren’t. I had a terrible time getting my Micro .380 fixed. They finally replaced it, but the 2nd one had the same issue. I took it to my own gunsmith and got it fixed for $35. If you like the firearm well enough to spend more money on it, take it to a gunsmith yourself. It will probably void your warranty, but you might get it fixed. Don’t screw around taking it to the range a bunch of times hoping it will heal itself. It won’t, and even that process is frustrating and costly.

My advice, bite the proverbial bullet and pay to get it fixed yourself, or sell it. Let Kimber know what you did and provide them with some constructive feedback.

With all the Micro .380s that have been returned to Kimber for warranty claims, you’d think Kimber would have all the kinks worked out of this firearm, but such is not the case apparently. Maybe they figure it is cheaper to handle warranty claims than make changes on the production line. My brother-in-law was a quality control engineer at GMs now closed truck plant in Janesville, WI. He said that was GM’s approach to handling many reoccurring truck problems. It defies logic, but maybe keeps the bean counters happy. However, it doesn’t do much to gain customer loyalty.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #3

Chaiman,

That's the reason for my thread last week: "Is Kimber quality failing." I got a few replies but it got buried in the Kimber discussion section. I really think Kimber has one of the prettiest line of pistols anywhere but my bitch was in having to send them back, in some cases multiple times.

It's pitiful and I'll state this again, Kimber is making a cute/pretty $300 or even sub $300 pistol and selling it for $700-$1000. They need to cut their line of pistols by about 60-70% and get to concentrating on quality instead of sales.

I for one am not going to be a happy camper if I have to send my Kimber back to them even once. After break-in on my Ultra Aegis if I have a problem I'd never trust it in a SD situation. I'll just go stay with my HK's that I know will preform and every time. My Aegis is at the 1911 pro gunsmith right now getting some EB parts added but mainly he's going to completely check out the gun while apart and fix anything wrong then function check it for reliability. Sure after paying him I could have bought a Dan Wesson easily but I liked the size and looks of the Aegis. I've been told over & over that it will void the warranty. Ha-Ha! What good is a warranty if they aren't qualified or just don't care about fixing it?

I will probably buy another Kimber sometime but it will get the same routine performed before being fired, it will go to a 1911 gunsmith to be checked out and make sure that it's in proper working order and reliable. Sorry again you great people and you are a bunch of good guys & gals, I'm just not real pleased with Kimber right now.

Sorry Kimber people but something has to get done about all these problems or eventually they will go by the wayside.

Jim D

Last edited by BCD 45; 02-08-2019 at 11:47 PM.
BCD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #4

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
Chaiman,

That's the reason for my thread last week: "Is Kimber quality failing." I got a few replies but it got buried in the Kimber discussion section. I really think Kimber has one of the prettiest line of pistols anywhere but my bitch was in having to send them back, in some cases multiple times.

It's pitiful and I'll state this again, Kimber is making a cute/pretty $300 or even sub $300 pistol and selling it for $700-$1000. They need to cut their line of pistols by about 60-70% and get to concentrating on quality instead of sales.

I for one am not going to be a happy camper if I have to send my Kimber back to them even once. After break-in on my Ultra Aegis if I have a problem I'd never trust it in a SD situation. I'll just go stay with my HK's that I know will preform and every time. My Aegis is at the 1911 pro gunsmith right now getting some EB parts added but mainly he's going to completely check out the gun while apart and fix anything wrong then function check it for reliability. Sure after paying him I could have bought a Dan Wesson easily but I liked the size and looks of the Aegis. I've been told over & over that it will void the warranty. Ha-Ha! What good is a warranty if they aren't qualified or just don't care about fixing it?

I will probably buy another Kimber sometime but it will get the same routine performed before being fired, it will go to a 1911 gunsmith to be checked out and make sure that it's in proper working order and reliable. Sorry again you great people and you are a bunch of good guys & gals, I'm just not real pleased with Kimber right now.

Sorry Kimber people but something has to get done about all these problems or eventually they will go by the wayside.

Jim D

Jim, you could have bought a Dan Wesson but you very well could have had issues with your DW also. Plenty of complaint threads about Dan Wesson issues on some of the other gun forums. Even some problems with Wilson, Ed Brown, etc.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #5

...firearm manufacturers whose products I've sent in for warranty service.

Browning
Rossi
Ruger
CZ
Kimber

...I find it maddening too but it seems $hit does happen? I also agree that if you're going to drop top $$$.$$ on something, whatever it is, you should get what you paid for. The main thing is that you found there's a problem during break in/testing. If a manufacturer wants to keep paying for shipping till they get it right I suppose that's they're prerogative? I'll keep sending that POS back till they get it right on principal :-)
2sharp2, Tejun, wayne and 1 others like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #6

I agree with you and I will try one more time for my Raptor. 380 this weekend and if it doesn't work then its trade it in for something else., I really like this firearm but, cannot depend on it to save my life if I had too. If I would have know I would have had these problems from the 3 month period on I would have never gotten the Raptor. I love my Kimber 9mm Pro though so all is not lost just need to find a new carry.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #7

Originally Posted by karens View Post
I agree with you and I will try one more time for my Raptor. 380 this weekend and if it doesn't work then its trade it in for something else., I really like this firearm but, cannot depend on it to save my life if I had too. If I would have know I would have had these problems from the 3 month period on I would have never gotten the Raptor. I love my Kimber 9mm Pro though so all is not lost just need to find a new carry.
I'm embarrassed to say it, but I knew ahead of time that the Micro .380s had problems because I visited this forum before I purchased it. But I liked the firearm so much I went ahead and bought it hoping I might get a "good one." I didn't and the replacement was not much better. So I guess I have no right to complain, but I can't control myself. I think my Micro is finally fixed, no thanks to Kimber, but all the down time sending it to Kimber 3X and then my gunsmith taking a leisurely 3 months to get around to repairing it was a bummer.

One would think Kimber would assign someone to monitor this forum and take corrective action to avoid embarrassing posts like we see here. It is very bad PR.

Maybe the problematic Micros are a vary small percentage of all that are sold. We don't know the numbers. I have a hunch that most Micro owners haven't shot their firearms much and don't know whether they are reliable or not. And many might dismiss problems due to ignorance. Who knows?
2sharp2 and cousinmark like this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
I'm embarrassed to say it, but I knew ahead of time that the Micro .380s had problems because I visited this forum before I purchased it. But I liked the firearm so much I went ahead and bought it hoping I might get a "good one." I didn't and the replacement was not much better. So I guess I have no right to complain, but I can't control myself. I think my Micro is finally fixed, no thanks to Kimber, but all the down time sending it to Kimber 3X and then my gunsmith taking a leisurely 3 months to get around to repairing it was a bummer.

One would think Kimber would assign someone to monitor this forum and take corrective action to avoid embarrassing posts like we see here. It is very bad PR.

Maybe the problematic Micros are a vary small percentage of all that are sold. We don't know the numbers. I have a hunch that most Micro owners haven't shot their firearms much and don't know whether they are reliable or not. And many might dismiss problems due to ignorance. Who knows?

I personally forwarded links to Micro .380 problem posts to a sales exec at Kimber. I know they were read...
As far as it goes, for fun, google up "Glock 42 problems" or "Sig 238 problems". Yup, there's problems with those little #$%kers too...
Panzer likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #9

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
I'll keep sending that POS back till they get it right on principal :-)

On the other hand, my dear Cousin, you know that saying?
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

Still, I've had no problems (or, at least, the problems I've had related to limp wristing it -- so, easy fix!) with my four Kimbers. Granted, two were 'pre-checked' out: the CDP II by my late husband (was his pride-and-joy) and the gorgeous amazing fantastic Sapphire Pro by our own Arland! (Hi Arland!!) Both Micros (.380 and 9mm) have been great as bought. (Well, the .380 after it's first range trip, which was BEFORE I cleaned or lubed the wee thang (and Arland lubed it AT the range...). (I was afraid I'd try to put it back together before we met at his range and have a part left over!

I do a fair bit of defending Kimbers... yes, some of them have problems, yes tight tight tolerances, yes yah MAY have to work on them to make them be a reliable EDC... However, I ALSO live by the old concept:

It's okay (for women, but also for cars and guns!) to be "high-maintenance" if they're ALSO high performance! Men will baby and cajole and spend hours working on, say, an old-timey MG (or a tetchy Ferrari) -- and find it totally worthwhile because the PERFORMANCE is worth the fussing.

I'll post another thread of my 'store review' of the Taurus Spectrum in all those pretty colors....
(here yah go: https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/ot...tml#post902220 )
2sharp2 likes this.

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 02-10-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #10

I must be the luckiest Kimber owner alive never had a single problem with any of my kimbers..
Chuck43 and wfm like this.