It's not my Raptor - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #1

It's not my Raptor

OK guys and gals NO laughing!

After all the nonsense with my .380 this past weekend I had my instructor come to the range. After honey shot it with 2 different ammo's and then tried another that is when it got hung up and failed to eject. Instructor picked it up, no issues.

So it ran like a top through 50 rounds of Remington UMC and then 50 rounds of Sig. The we went to Fiocchi and that's is when it started acting up again. Now, the strange thing is that when I got it back from the mother ship 9 months ago with all the new parts Fiocchi was all I ran in it, then last week I was trying to put Aguila through and would not even shoot 3 rounds before it jammed.

I know these firearms are fussy, but, the ammo that it like before it no longer likes? I mean WTF? (sorry) I am so frustrated with this. Why would run then and not now? What if I shot something with more juice in it?

Bottom line though is I am getting lazy,instructor said after watching me I am limp wrist with the .380. My grip sucked and he called me on it. So I am going to shoot the .45 first then my .380 because I have such a good grip on the .45 (its like a wild horse to me) and then see what happens. I am not giving up, YET!
Chuck43, 2sharp2, SnowTao and 3 others like this.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

Sounds like you are honing in on the problem. Iíve had good luck with Remington RN ammo and Choice Ammo (a Montana company).The Choice ammo comes in 100gr. with a round nose hollow base (RNHB).

Iíve got two Micro 380s. My first was the Stainless model that I had a ton of problems with. Shipped it to mothership once and it came back with the same problems. I just kept shooting it, cleaning and shooting more. Shot a lot of the Choice ammo in it. Once I got up around 800 rounds it started shooting without issues. Took it down one weekend for a deep cleaning removed everything but the trigger and cleaned everything then managed to reassemble without any extra parts left It now cycles smooth as butter and is one of my favorite carry guns.

Iíve had my Micro Raptor for a little over a year now but have not reached 500 rnds yet. The only issue I had was when it was new and the mag kept dropping while firing. Changed the mag release spring and have had no issues with the mags dropping since. There is a distinct difference in the feel when cycling between my Stainless and the newer Raptor. Iíll get the Raptor dialed in over time though.
SnowTao, Bigdog and Karens like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:17 AM   #3

Originally Posted by karens View Post

After all the nonsense with my .380 this past weekend I had my instructor come to the range. After honey shot it with 2 different ammo's and then tried another that is when it got hung up and failed to eject. Instructor picked it up, no issues.

So it ran like a top through 50 rounds of Remington UMC and then 50 rounds of Sig. The we went to Fiocchi and that's is when it started acting up again. Now, the strange thing is that when I got it back from the mother ship 9 months ago with all the new parts Fiocchi was all I ran in it, then last week I was trying to put Aguila through and would not even shoot 3 rounds before it jammed.

I know these firearms are fussy, but, the ammo that it like before it no longer likes? I mean WTF? (sorry) I am so frustrated with this. Why would run then and not now? What if I shot something with more juice in it?

Bottom line though is I am getting lazy,instructor said after watching me I am limp wrist with the .380. My grip sucked and he called me on it. So I am going to shoot the .45 first then my .380 because I have such a good grip on the .45 (its like a wild horse to me) and then see what happens. I am not giving up, YET!

Maybe you should rent or borrow a Sig P238 and see if you have the same problem. It couldnít hurt and if you donít have any issues with the Sig maybe thatís the direction you need to go. (I am aware Sig also had their own Micro problems)
Karens likes this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 AM   #4

Perhaps you could also look at a revolver. I often carry a J frame snubby when I need deep concealment. Mild recoil, never jams and has plenty of firepower.
Just a thought.
Karens likes this.
Wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:28 AM   #5

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Maybe you should rent or borrow a Sig P238 and see if you have the same problem. It couldnít hurt and if you donít have any issues with the Sig maybe thatís the direction you need to go. (I am aware Sig also had their own Micro problems)
Speaking of which, when we went to the range I shot Honey's 9mm and when we came home and he broke it down to clean, the glide rod was gone. Sig knows this is a problem with their firearms ( not fixing it either) and is sending a new one with a spring. So not thanks Sig.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #6

Not sure you indicated it, but did you let your instructor shoot it and prove you wrong/right?

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #7

Speaking of which, when we went to the range I shot Honey's 9mm and when we came home and he broke it down to clean, the glide rod was gone. Sig knows this is a problem with their firearms ( not fixing it either) and is sending a new one with a spring. So not thanks Sig.
Just curious which model he has because all my Sigs have been great ?
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #8

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Not sure you indicated it, but did you let your instructor shoot it and prove you wrong/right?
Yes, he picked it up shot 2 mags through without an issue.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #9

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Just curious which model he has because all my Sigs have been great ?
I believe its a P938. We have spoken to others that have had that problem. It is common when on other forums. Again I have to ask, could it be that sensitive to ammo? I am not putting reloads or inexpensive ammo though this firearm.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #10

Hey, Karen. Limp writing can cause problems with ejection. If your instructor says you're doing it, then fix it. Also, cheap ammo will push the slide back with less authority, exacerbating the problem. Relying on expensive ammo is not a solution to the problem.

Fix your grip:
Gun unloaded. Hold your gun with a really low grip, so that you're barely holding the butt with your thumb and index finger. Now push back on the barrel and note how you can't keep the gun from rotating in your hand. See where this is going? You want the opposite. You want a HIGH grip. The web of your strong hand should be jammed into the beavertail, with your thumb pointing forward.

The fingers of your support hand should be over the fingers of your strong hand, but a little higher. Viewed from the side, your fingers should line up about 45 degrees from the ground. Support thumb goes forward of the other thumb, not over it, and pointing forward.

Work on just the above, maybe even practice it right now, and you WILL get better.

Check out this short video for a couple tips. These ladies and the gent making the video are better than you had I could ever hope to be.

bhunted and Karens like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote