Setback issues with rechambered round - Hornady Critical Defense .380 in Kimber Micro - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TequilaWarrior
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By TequilaWarrior
  • 1 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

Setback issues with rechambered round - Hornady Critical Defense .380 in Kimber Micro

So I've not really had any issues with my Kimber other than some "growing pains" when it was fresh out of the box. A little ramp polishing, chamber polishing, barrel polishing and it cycles beautifully.
What I have had some issues with is deciding on a carry round.
I started with Liberty's Civil Defense rounds and quickly reverted to Remington FMJ when I had FTFs with the Liberties.
My dad gave me a box of Hornady Critical Defense and after a little research I decided to give them a try. They cycle great (the ramp/chamber polishing is probably the biggest reason EVERYTHING cycles well in this gun now) and I've read really good things about them.
I've had no complaints about them from day one.... until now.

A little backstory first: I secure my pistol (and long guns fwiw) when I'm home with a cable lock. I have a 6 year old and an 8 year old. Though we've had many talks about gun safety, kids are kids and I will not take chances with their safety. Hence, guns get locked up in my house when they're not under my (or my wife's) direct control / holstered. This causes me to chamber and eject the top round in one of my magazines multiple times per week - may 2 to 3 times or so. Not unlike an off-duty LEO who chooses to unload their weapon at the end of their shift. Here's where my gripe/problem/complaint comes in. I've been carrying Hornady Critical Defense rounds for 2 or so months now. I've probably chambered/ejected the same round 15 or 20 times, TOPS. Last night, after ejecting the round and securing my pistol, I noticed the bullet was set back into the case significantly. I've had rifle rounds do this in the past - mostly hunting rounds that I continually rechamber as I move from site to site - rechambering the same round maybe 5 times a day for 6 days straight. However, in all of those instances I never saw a bullet move back past the ogive. I've seen them shorten, but never past the ogive. The Hornady Critical Defense round I ejected last night is pushed back well past the ogive, to the point that I would consider this round unsafe to fire.
I guess my questions are:
Has anyone else experienced this with this weapon or this ammo?
Should I be as concerned about it as I am? (I've removed it from my mag rotation and will not rechamber it)
Is this something I should reach out to Hornady about?
Pic below with 1 round never chambered next to the round I'm concerned about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190217_194558b.jpg (420.4 KB, 51 views)
cousinmark likes this.
TequilaWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

Afternoon, I leave my Ultra in Condition 1 always until my Grandsons visit and then like you I clear and secure it every time it’s not on me. I just pulled the magazine to check the rounds and none of them are pushed back. This magazine was full of Speer Gold Dot though.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #3

I've never had a lick of problems with Hornady Critical Defense. My P238 has fired and ejected every round.

BTW, an ugly 'door keeper' is going to ask you to register with the newbies' section and tell us a little about yourself.

Owner's kid, can't find a job, English is his second language and he was born here, if you catch my drift...
Ice-and-Snow likes this.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Get a safe and quit constantly unloading your weapon. That in my eyes is dangerous.
Tihsepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

This happens with lots of ammo if you bang it around often enough. That's why it's not a great idea to cycle the same ammo repeatedly. When I do it, I try to keep track of each round so the round that was chambered goes back into the magazine first. And even though it's expensive, I'll periodically shoot up the ammo that's been in the magazine and replace it with fresh.

I'll shoot a round like the one pictured, but technically, it's more prone to overpressure and should be discarded.

P.S.
I like your screen name. Headed to pick up vegetables for dinner. There are three stores that have what I want, but one of them is next to the store that has a good selection of tequila. Guess where I'm going.
Ice-and-Snow likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
Get a safe and quit constantly unloading your weapon. That in my eyes is dangerous.
Iím courious as to why unloading a firearm is dangerous.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
I’m courious as to why unloading a firearm is dangerous.
My guess is something along these lines: operating the action / ejecting magazine and eventually inserting the magazine and operating the action again is more "handling" of the parts that make it go "bang" than some consider necessary. I find no real flaw in that thinking save for the fact that I don't have a safe I can use to keep this gun near my bed. I will be getting a biometric pistol safe and install it in my headboard. I was just wondering if this ammo issue is a fluke or if I need to reconsider this as a daily carry round. The "don't unload / reload all the time" advice is almost a mantra in some circles. Most negligent discharges occur during unload or load. The advice is sound, just not practical for me right now.
This is the most set back I've seen in a round - not that I've seen a lot, but enough to say this is an unsafe round now.
Wingnut likes this.
TequilaWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Wow, that's pretty noticeable!!! I often unchamber when traveling but haven't ever noticed so much movement of a bullet? Generally my carry ammo magazine is fired at the range so it gets replaced more or less regularly. Good eyes though...
As has been mentioned a safe (one of those biometric deals would be great) for your house pistol would probably be a good idea anyways. Really fast access. Otherwise just rotate the top round...
JMO
Wingnut likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #9

FWIW you can see some interesting info on various .380 ammo here:

Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest | Shooting The Bull

I decided I would go with Precision One 380 ACP 90gr HP/XTP ammo. Since I haven't used it for self defense, I can't tell you how well it performs in that circumstance. I can tell you I ran 50 rounds through my micro with no failures of any type.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote