New baby (not sure it's pretty enough) with pic - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

New baby (not sure it's pretty enough) with pic

Hey y'all!

So I was messing about on Gunbroker, researching for a friend (no really, I was!), and threw in a couple of bids (I like the no reserve, starting at a penny, auctions -- yah never know what's gonna happen)!

Aaaand, here's what happened!

That's the best of a few pics I took, it's dark, the flash is too bright etc. etc. I'll try for better tomorrow. But I am NOT thrilled with it. It was that "buy 50 and Kimber will do a custom color for you" thingie? (The store picked a less-than-optimal color!!) The pix they posted on their store website made it look like plastic taffy ; but the one ON Gunbroker looked pretty cool.... GUESSING that's the Kimber Desert tan version?

So, it ain't TERRIBLE.... but it sure ain't to my tastes! Still, for winning a brand new Micro with a bid of $430 -- NOT bad! (+ $30 S&H; ~$13 for credit card payment, $25 for my FFL ... real decent deal.) And if I DO continue to dislike the color; I'll sell it on...) First, I may look into Ceracote to see if I can make it look better... anyone got any ideas who and how much?

Then, by happenstance... on Thursday I was notified that my bid was the only bid and I won a Micro .380 SAPPHIRE!!! (For $725! having it shipped on my UPS account; another $25 for the FFL. List is, like, $1,029?!) WHOO HOO BIG TIME!!! When I drove up to the LGS to give the info on the Sapphire (sold by a different store), she said "oh, I just got a gun in for you." 20 minutes later (yay Georgia!) I was out the door with it!

(This Sapphire is NOT the OTHER one I won where I am real leery about the seller. Haven't heard back yet from Gunbroker... I SHOULD have read the directions more closely... well, except he posted "pay by PayPal" -- and then after the auction closed, wanted me to send it using PayPal's "family and friends" -- which PayPal doesn't warrant; he asked me to write Happy Birthday with the payment.... Uh. No. Not gonna happen. (That one was $700 + $50 S&H?!?)

He's not happy, but I told him I was waiting to hear back from Gunbroker (no answer yet) so, I'll see. I MAY end up with two Sapphire .380s! (My machinist said: "one for each hand!")

Got the new tan one home, sat in my workroom with a video on breaking down a Micro (he did an Advocate) to clean it. Managed to get the tan thing all the way apart and cleaned and lubed and reassembled. (No parts left over, so I THINK I did it right!) Will wait for the (first? ) Sapphire to get here before a shooting trip...

TRIED to do the same to my 9mm Micro... (After the last range outing, it's been sitting there waiting plaintively for me to clean it.) Oh dear. It disassembled and started to reassemble the SAME -- but the guide rod and spring... don't seem to *sit* right on the barrel. Kinda... 'up' ... a bit, so it's not ... solid. Had a wee bit of trouble putting the .380 one back in too, but then (somehow) managed it. (Don't know what the somehow was... will have to mess about some more with the 9mm.) That I finally left disassembled and came up stairs cause it's bedtime!

(Put the Sapphire Pro (thanks Arland!) back in the safe; I'll clean IT after I work out the 9mm!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TanMicro.jpg (978.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by SnowTao; 03-15-2019 at 08:40 PM.
SnowTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #2

Atta Girl!!
You could shoot the "Tan" Micro some and see how the finish holds up. Then if you want to change the color. "I know a guy!" No really he is a gunsmith at a shop in Cleveland Tennessee, about 19 miles north of my house. If you recall I had him Cerakote my old Detonics awhile back. Mine turned out a little bit brighter silver than I had in mind but I'm cool with it, the finish came out great. I think I paid about $150 for it. Let me know I can get you fixed up. Before and after of Detonics included.

Probably a place close to you since you in the Metro.

Congrats on the Baby Sapphire!

From your pic it looks like it needs to be "more Brown" IMO. I like more darker brown. They didn't leave that one in the deep fryer long enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detonics .45acp.jpg (3.06 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Detonics Combat Master (2).jpg (4.07 MB, 18 views)
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel

Last edited by 2sharp2; 03-15-2019 at 09:14 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #3

Do you think that will hold you or will you be adding to the collection??? I know you pal around with Arland and by comparison it probably seem like you've got things under control. I'm just going to suggest that if the list of Kimbers you own is longer than a typical post "you may have a problem" :-)
On the "ugly" Micro why not give it a fair shot? If she runs well why not give her a go as an EDC? Anything you carry will wind up showing signs of wear. I'd rather knock around with the brown one than the Sapphire myself. Again provided she checks out at the range. JMO...
Will be looking forward to the range reports :-)
2sharp2 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #4

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Do you think that will hold you or will you be adding to the collection??? I know you pal around with Arland and by comparison it probably seem like you've got things under control. I'm just going to suggest that if the list of Kimbers you own is longer than a typical post "you may have a problem" :-)
On the "ugly" Micro why not give it a fair shot? If she runs well why not give her a go as an EDC? Anything you carry will wind up showing signs of wear. I'd rather knock around with the brown one than the Sapphire myself. Again provided she checks out at the range. JMO...

LOL! Naw, Cuz she is hooked now, got the GunBroker "Monkey" on her back. "Throwing" bids out on two of the Exact same pistol...Newest Addict=Snowtao!
cousinmark likes this.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:30 AM   #5

Congratulations on your Micro 380s SnowTao.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #6

I really like the looks of those Micros. Mrs. Bear has been lusting after a Sapphire for years. I think all the finishes are pretty cool on them.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #7

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Atta Girl!!
You could shoot the "Tan" Micro some and see how the finish holds up. Then if you want to change the color. "I know a guy!" No really he is a gunsmith at a shop in Cleveland Tennessee, about 19 miles north of my house. If you recall I had him Cerakote my old Detonics awhile back. Mine turned out a little bit brighter silver than I had in mind but I'm cool with it, the finish came out great. I think I paid about $150 for it. Let me know I can get you fixed up. Before and after of Detonics included.

Probably a place close to you since you in the Metro.

Congrats on the Baby Sapphire!

From your pic it looks like it needs to be "more Brown" IMO. I like more darker brown. They didn't leave that one in the deep fryer long enough.
Wow! That done-one is really pretty!! Fantastic color... (I was thinking ... you know... a color mix like abalone; all my favs in one spot... but it would look weird... But that silver-blue is lovely!)

And I don't need anyone close -- that's what UPS is for! OR, I could have your guy do it, then come pick it up and we could shoot!!
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #8

Not a problem.... yet.... was gonna list 'em.... but I just CAN'T do that in public.... Call me paranoid ("you're paranoid!") but ... you know.. I'm paranoid! Alllllll the guns I had before I lost in a tragic canoeing accident... SO sad... Cried for a week...

On the "ugly" Micro why not give it a fair shot? If she runs well why not give her a go as an EDC?
Uh, cause she's UGLY!? I have a commitment that I will NEVER shoot anyone with a gun that's NOT PRETTY!

Anything you carry will wind up showing signs of wear.
Yeah yeah, and you probably (usetah ) DYE GRAY HAIR too! (back when yah HAD any?!) Them gray hairs is badges of honor! Them's signs of what I've been through!! Kinda "wear marks," eh? (Ask me how I know!)

I'd rather knock around with the brown one than the Sapphire myself.
{shudder} Ugly. (Well, not QUITE ugly... let's just call it NOT the prettiest diamond in the necklace!! Still can't quite get the color right in the photos... Still in the second one you can barely see my foster-grand-dog who is over at El's Doggie DayCamp till Sunday.

This first pic is closest to the real color.... still not quite there... Gun's a wee bit darker brown... So, it's okay. I'll have fun shooting her anyway... and may sell her to a friend... (He wants two -- one for each home... I'm like: you can CARRY between them, and be ARMED on the drive, eh?! "No. One for each home." {sigh} 'kay, let me show you how Gunbroker works...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg El_Desert-3.jpg (436.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg El_Desert-2.jpg (391.7 KB, 6 views)
patton53 and cousinmark like this.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #9

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
LOL! Naw, Cuz she is hooked now, got the GunBroker "Monkey" on her back. "Throwing" bids out on two of the Exact same pistol...Newest Addict=Snowtao!
Uh. Er. Um. Not two.... FIVE! I placed FIVE BIDS!!! (Won the tan and ... apparently... TWO Sapphires...) Did NOT win the Advocate with purple grips, nor the Bel Aire. (And I don't even LIKE the BelAire!!!)

My machinist, the Blessed Harry (cause he has "saved" me multiple times!), when I told him about my sudden increase in weaponry, asked if there would be a problem of buying three guns in a week and selling them. "Don't THINK so..." "Well, what if I bought one for him?" "Nope, FEDERAL offense to buy a gun for someone else!" He actually backed up away from me! (Still... I'm enough of a ditz sometimes, I probably COULD buy three and sell two in a month WITHOUT 'sparking' Fed interest... But if I end up with TWO Sapphires, I ain't selling 'em neither!
2sharp2 and patton53 like this.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #10

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
Uh. Er. Um. Not two.... FIVE! I placed FIVE BIDS!!! (Won the tan and ... apparently... TWO Sapphires...) Did NOT win the Advocate with purple grips, nor the Bel Aire. (And I don't even LIKE the BelAire!!!)

My machinist, the Blessed Harry (cause he has "saved" me multiple times!), when I told him about my sudden increase in weaponry, asked if there would be a problem of buying three guns in a week and selling them. "Don't THINK so..." "Well, what if I bought one for him?" "Nope, FEDERAL offense to buy a gun for someone else!" He actually backed up away from me! (Still... I'm enough of a ditz sometimes, I probably COULD buy three and sell two in a month WITHOUT 'sparking' Fed interest... But if I end up with TWO Sapphires, I ain't selling 'em neither!
...out of curiosity, are you familiar with the "serenity prayer" yet SnoTao???
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote