Mag Question - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #1

Mag Question

Greetings
Bought my first Kimber a couple days ago. Micro 380, beautiful gun.
When I seat the extended mag, there is about an 1/8" or maybe 1/16" gap between the bottom of the mag well and the top of the extended mag -- the top of the black extension part of the mag does not sit flush with the bottom of the mag well. Seems to feed fine but it just doesn't look correct. When I push the bottom of the mag up so it's flush with the bottom of the mag well, it's under tension and moves back to the 1/8" gap. Is this normal for Kimber? Seems like a fit and finish issue.
Thanks in advance for any advice
jfaisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #2

I've found the two 7 round mags I have "wiggle" a little when inserted? I had a few FTFs when using them so I use my 6 round options exclusively now.
If you contact CS they may offer you a replacement if it bugs you. The 7 round mags for the SIG P238 will fit with a slight modification (filing down of the base plate top) so that will likely fix the gap.
I'd see how things go at the range first though. Be sure to clean and lube your Micro thoroughly and use new FMJ 95gr ammo. If you have several magazines use them all but identify each so you can see if any are prone to cause problems. The official word is that there is no break in period necessary? I think about 400 rounds would be a real world number to use though, cleaning after each 100 rounds and perhaps putting a drop of oil on the rails every 50 or so? JMO :-)
Post up a review when you get out with the new little beauty.
jfaisten likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum jfaisten, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

Old 03-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
wfm

On the first Micro 9 extended 7 rounds mags they fit the same way. After complaints they made new mag extensions that fit correctly. All you had to do was call Kimber and they sent the new base pads at no cost. Could you possibly have an old type mag?
Bigdog likes this.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

wfm -- I bought the gun last Friday so I hope it has the newer extended mag. I will call Kimber tomorrow and see it they'll send me a mag that fits better.
Thanks
jfaisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
wfm

Originally Posted by jfaisten View Post
wfm -- I bought the gun last Friday so I hope it has the newer extended mag. I will call Kimber tomorrow and see it they'll send me a mag that fits better.
Thanks
If it's the same issue, what they send is just the black plastic extension on bottom of the mag. Good luck.
Bigdog likes this.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #7

Jfaisten, welcome to the site from Tennessee.
jfaisten likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #8

I have a Kimber 3-inch .45 ACP. I bought magazines with thicker extensions so I could be assured that they were seated and latched securely.

In all this time I have never looked at the esthetics of my latching extensions. Then again, the pistol have never had a stoppage.

To be fair, no felon has ever pointed out that I was going to kill him with a loose magazine.

I worry about serious things. For example, will The Red Queen hunt me down and kill me? No, guys, it could happen...

You ask 2sharp2, he lives in fear, too!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
wfm

I agree no felon cares what your weapon looks like, but for what Kimbers cost I expect the fit and finish to be excellent. I can find a much cheaper weapon with a poor fit if looks is not important.
cousinmark and jfaisten like this.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:31 AM   #10

Originally Posted by wfm View Post
I agree no felon cares what your weapon looks like, but for what Kimbers cost I expect the fit and finish to be excellent. I can find a much cheaper weapon with a poor fit if looks is not important.
...again, the eyeball test suggests the loose fit has contributed to failures with mine? They happen on occasion with the wiggly magazines? I could be wrong but I've put the blame on the mags and at this point DO NOT trust them. I'm ok with 6+1 for an ultralight sub-compact, things run fine. I am disappointed in the extended options, there should have MUCH been better QC on them.
jfaisten likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote