• 2 Post By ChattanoogaPhil
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 2 Post By trident
  • 2 Post By PaulWVa
  • 4 Post By JC45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 11:38 PM   #1

Range report.....

I didn't want to post this to both the Micro 9 and Micro carry forum (I took both to the range), so decided it should go here:....

Today, I took the Micro 9 STS and the Micro .380 (don't remember which model....basically black with black rubber grips) to the range for a shake down, as it's been quite a while for both......

First, the nine.....This gun needs to be named "The Punisher" as it is NOT fun to shoot....I have noticed that in my old age, I seem to be getting a little recoil sensitive....This gun has a good bit of recoil.....I was actually doing pretty well with it.....I was shooting at 3 yds at 1" orange dots and all shots were hitting within an inch or so of the dot I was aiming at....A couple of light primer strikes, but I think that was ammo....using Armscor, and planning to go back to the range later this week with WWB to verify.....My defense ammo, HST 124 Standard Pressure, ran just fine.....

Next, the .380....This gun needs to be named "DeadEye".....Same deal, 1" orange dots at 3 yds....9 magazines (some 5, some 6, some 7rds) seven of them all rounds in one hole, the other two had one flyer each.....I have been shooting my 1911's (3", 3.5" and 4.25") lately and haven't been shooting this well......I was shooting S&B FMJ,as well as firing out my carry ammo (Precision one 90 gr. XTP +P) One light primer strike on the target ammo (gun was EXTREMELY dirty and gummy prior to firing, and I think that was the issue).

I plan on a good cleaning/oiling tomorrow and a repeat later in the week to verify function......

I have been away from shooting for a number of years, only recently returning (less than six months), and it seems that I might have become a bit recoil shy in my old age.....what might I need to do to mitigate that?.......

YMMV

Lon
Teufelhunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-08-2019, 02:16 AM   #2

I’ve found that with practice I become more tolerant of recoil. When I first started shooting my Ultra in 45 I was very aware of the recoil but after several hundred rounds I’m just not aware of recoil now. In fact it’s become fun to shoot, much more accurate than I am.
Good luck with it.
Teufelhunde likes this.
Wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:18 AM   #3

Depends on where the sensitivity is but shooting gloves can reduce fatigue. If having wrist issues maybe an Ace wrist wrap would be worth considering.

I use thin Mechanix Wear .5mm gloves when I spend a lot of time at the club. They're thin enough that it doesn't interfere much with trigger feel or using controls, or general dexterity loading mags and stuff. No extra palm padding but still makes a significant difference reducing fatigue. Sounds like you might want a glove with a bit of padding in the palm.
Teufelhunde likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #4

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Depends on where the sensitivity is but shooting gloves can reduce fatigue. If having wrist issues maybe an Ace wrist wrap would be worth considering.

I use thin Mechanix Wear .5mm gloves when I spend a lot of time at the club. They're thin enough that it doesn't interfere much with trigger feel or using controls, or general dexterity loading mags and stuff. No extra palm padding but still makes a significant difference reducing fatigue. Sounds like you might want a glove with a bit of padding in the palm.
Mechanix gloves are a great idea. I use them at work all the time but never thought about shooting with them.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 AM   #5

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Mechanix gloves are a great idea. I use them at work all the time but never thought about shooting with them.
Magpul makes a variety of shooting gloves. I liked their Core Technical thin gloves but my large wrists didn't care for the elastic band. Priced right too.
JC45 and Teufelhunde like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #6

...glad you're getting back into shooting. Sounds like your marksmanship has held up well. "glass half full" right :-)
As well as gloves you may want to start doing some stretching and grip exercises every day. Blood flow to the joints will help reinvigorate them.
Some pistols are just more comfortable to shoot than others. Personally I'm a fan of those stock rubber grips on my Micro.
Teufelhunde likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
First, the nine.....This gun needs to be named "The Punisher" as it is NOT fun to shoot....I have noticed that in my old age, I seem to be getting a little recoil sensitive....
Lon
You might try the Hogue Rubber grips for your Micro9.
Makes a big difference over the stock Kimber grips. Since you didn't mention the grips on the 9 I assume it has the stock rosewood grips.
Using a glove also makes a lot of difference if shooting a lot of rounds thru a small firearm.
I know because I'm probably older....born in '37.
Teufelhunde and Bigdog like this.
Sig P226
Sig P238
Sig P938
Sig P938-22
Springfield Armory EMP
Springfield Armory XDm 3.8
Colt New Agent
Colt LE6920 (2)
Ruger LCP
Ruger 22-45
Ruger 10-22
Glock 19
Glock 43
S&W Shield 9mm
trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

If you do want to look for gloves, check with LA Police Gear.com. They have a huge selection of shooting and police duty gloves. Multiple brands and styles. They have 5.11, Oakley, Blauer, Mechanix Wear, Blackhawk … just to name a few.

I highly recommend : 5.11 Taclite 2s
5.11 Tactical Competition Core Shooting Gloves
Oakley Tactical Lites

As I have gotten older and my fingers stiffer and a bit sore at times, I learned the benefits of gloves. They're part of my regular equipment now, like glasses and muffs … now gloves. I used to think they would interfere with trigger feel but with thin lite styles they don't at all. I wear them even in competition. And they can be had pretty cheap as good equipment goes. I recommend you give a pair a chance.
patton53 and Teufelhunde like this.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 05-08-2019 at 01:20 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #9

I feel like I’m going to need a shoebox for gloves now.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote