Well hell's bells! (ambi safety... or not) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

Well hell's bells! (ambi safety... or not)

Just talked with Sergio at Kimber. Asked if they have a left-hand-ONLY safety, or just the ambi?

Oh well, actually they aren't offering that at the moment -- the ambi -- at all! EEK!

No, I don't mean to BUY one, I meant to send in my beautiful little Micro and have them do it...

Uh, nope. You might call later (late?) this year to see if that has changed.

Well -- now I AM depressed!

El

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 08-20-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #2

I have Found Sergio, less than helpful . Robert or the lady has always bent over backwards to help. Ask for one of them.
Oreste likes this.

Last edited by Nellybelle; 07-17-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #3

Really, El, a full ambidextrous safety isn't a bad thing. You never know if your favorite hand will end up cut, shot, broken, or restrained. Maybe you'll be behind cover, and shooting from the other hand will give you less exposure. Or maybe you'll be carrying a delicious latte and you don't want to set it down and risk getting it knocked over.

Nelly's evaluation of Sergio as "less than helpful" is excessively generous. The lady you want to talk to is Shaula. She rocks. I can't imagine that Kimber will be out of safeties for long, as that would mean they would no longer be making Micros. Maybe Shaula can help.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

Super-duper! Thanks folks! Rusty, I'm thinking of fitting into my beloved NateSquared holster -- 'fraid the double will make the little Micro too wide?

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 07-19-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
Banned

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Really, El, a full ambidextrous safety isn't a bad thing. You never know if your favorite hand will end up cut, shot, broken, or restrained. Maybe you'll be behind cover, and shooting from the other hand will give you less exposure. Or maybe you'll be carrying a delicious latte and you don't want to set it down and risk getting it knocked over.

Nelly's evaluation of Sergio as "less than helpful" is excessively generous. The lady you want to talk to is Shaula. She rocks. I can't imagine that Kimber will be out of safeties for long, as that would mean they would no longer be making Micros. Maybe Shaula can help.
Practice for all possibilities.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
Super-duper! Thanks folks! Rusty, I'm thinking of fitting into my beloved NateSquared holster -- 'fraid the double with make the little Micro too wide?
Well, it is a consideration. I had a thumb-break Bianchi Yanqui slide from the olden days. My Kimber UC2 fit right into it. The issue was that the thumb strap was not designed for an ambidextrous safety. I go home one night and the both levers were fully depressed.

We'd hate to lose you in a tragic shooting accident, 'Tao. Without you, Richard and Zoomy would have zero women to talk to...
Zoomybaby and Ice-and-Snow like this.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

Your holster will be a-ok with the ambidextrous safety.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:02 AM   #8

Wink Here's A Thought!!

Hey, Snow,

If you come up with an ambi safety for your Micro, it would not be a major task for a competent gunsmith to turn it into a left hand only safety. Then you would not have to worry about thumb break holsters binding up or moving the lever off safe. If I was a lefty, that is what I would do.

IMHO, ambi's just plain add too much to the width of a pistol. TETO!!

If my right arm becomes disabled, I'll knock the safety off with my teeth, then shoot the bastard that disabled my right arm, using my left!!! I'm just sayin'......I have a plan!!! pound.gifpound.gifpound.gifpound.gif

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:53 AM   #9

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
You never know if your favorite hand will end up cut, shot, broken, or restrained.
'Tao, I think 'Iron has stated the crux of this debate. The pistol you are defining is for defensive purposes, not just a target gun.

I have always believed that the pistol you carry for safety and survival should be chosen not because it's trendy, economical or even "pretty." It's there to save your life.

For example, I'm not a prepper or a survivalist, and frankly, I dislike Glocks--I don't hate them, I just find them rather vanilla. But if I was ever to construct a BOB for getting out of a crumbling urban upheaval, I'd purchase a Glock 20.

It's a pistol that goes "bang" when it has to, and the 10mm Auto pretty much does everything. It's kind of like a loud Swiss Army Knife.

The ambidextrous safety, while a concern for holsters, safety straps and clothing, might be the deciding factor in saving your life if your dominant hand was injured or fending off the attack.
Ice-and-Snow and patton53 like this.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #10

'kay finally managed to stop by the gunsmith's. Sign on the door: "we ONLY have scheduled appts. Email us (address) and we will set a time for a visit." 'kay-cool. (Seems like a wise choice, actually!)

Emailed, described my delightful Micro and desire for a left-only safety. Said a senior guy on the Kimber forum (that'd be you, Chuck! ) said the P238 safety would work, because the internals are essentially identical. He wrote back that he'd see about getting one and then we could talk. (Or something like that...) So, first step taken!

Appreciate all the advice, guys... The concern I have is: this is the first (and only) gun-holster combo I have been able to ACTUALLY wear. If an ambi-safety knocks off my Nate^2, then it's back in the purse?!?! ("I don't want to go!") (Doctor Who reference, anyone catch it?)

They still don't make a Flashbang bra holster for the Micro! We need to really start pushing the Micro, so more folks have them and start pushing gun-folks to make more stuff for us!! Come-on all-y'all! Get selling, eh?
Spotly likes this.

Search tags for this page
adding ambi safety to kimber micro carry
ambi safety kimber micro

kimber micro 9 ambi safety

kimber micro 9 ambidextrous safety

kimber micro ambi safety

kimber micro ambidextrous safety

kimber micro ambidextrous safety for sale

kimber micro carry ambi safety

Click on a term to search for related topics.