• 2 Post By cousinmark
  • 2 Post By JC45
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By JimCunn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Gritty trigger

One of my .380s has a trigger that is fairly light, but quite variable (2.9 to about 4.1 pounds), which is OK by me.

But it is quite gritty. Any suggestions about addressing that would be welcome.
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #2

good cleaning and polish
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
One of my .380s has a trigger that is fairly light, but quite variable (2.9 to about 4.1 pounds), which is OK by me.

But it is quite gritty. Any suggestions about addressing that would be welcome.
What type pistol, Jim....striker or hammer fired?

Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #4

If you want to try and avoid a complete disassembly you could give the area a good spraying with Battle Born solvent. This solvent dries pretty much oil free. Soak it for a few minutes then blow it dry with computer duster compressed air. Blow the air from the outside of the pistol into the mag well then wipe the inside dry with a clean cloth. Then re soak and blow from the back side of the trigger, from inside the grip out, wipe off any gook that comes out. If you do this a few times you can get things quite smooth. If you want to really be thorough flush things out with alcohol and blow it all out. Otherwise a complete tear down and polishing of the internals will get things perfect. Keep in mind the trigger pin is pressed in at the factory and is not something easily drifted out by the faint of heart. I wouldn't suggest even trying unless you're experienced with such things.
Good luck :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2204.jpg (2.10 MB, 4 views)
JC45 and motormac like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Keep in mind the trigger pin is pressed in at the factory and is not something easily drifted out by the faint of heart.
Good luck :-)
Are you referring the micros or a different model?
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:44 AM   #6

If your gonna take this gun apart to polish parts, you might want to consider a new aluminum trigger and maybe some new springs. Galloway Precious makes some nice upgrades.
I have a W Engineering trigger on my Sig P938 with a few Galloway springs and it’s a nice upgrade. I got the W Engineering Trigger because I like the skeleton trigger look better than a solid trigger. The Galloway Trigger is adjustable for over travel. They do have a video on their website to show the trigger installation.
cousinmark is right about the trigger pin being hard to get out but it will come out. I did it with a brass hammer and punch, it took a few good shots. If you have access to a press I’m sure it will be easier.

https://gallowayprecision.com/kimber/micro-9/
Chuck43 and cousinmark like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:17 AM   #7

Originally Posted by DeOlMan View Post
Are you referring the micros or a different model?
The Micro .380 specifically, I believe that's what Jim was asking about.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:38 AM   #8

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
The Micro .380 specifically, I believe that's what Jim was asking about.
In that case, I believe an inconsistent trigger would most likely be from the sear/hammer interface. Precision touch-up can give the gun a nice trigger pull, but it will never be a 1911.
Chuck43 and cousinmark like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #9

"but it will never be a 1911".

That's true. I've got three Micros (hammer, not striker), but only one 1911. They are only superficially similar.

I've got a W trigger but haven't installed it yet because Galloway said they were coming out with a curved, skeletonised trigger with an overtravel screw - so I've been holding off. I may just install an overtravel screw in the W instead.

I have no problems with complete disassembly, and was pretty sure the grittiness was due to a rough sear - it looked rough to the eye when I had it out last week. I just wanted to get the opinions of you guys before I polished the sear. I'll probably do it at the same time I redo the trigger.
Thanks.
cousinmark likes this.
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #10

...I'll tell you though my .380 has really broken in well, granted it's not quite a 1911. I've done the "poor man's trigger job", blasted things out with solvent, 91% alcohol and compressed air a few times. I'm over 5k on the round clock with her. The trigger had become really nice. I had a few of the guys at my range give their opinion on the weight (we don't have a trigger gauge) they both guessed 2.5-3#s and were surprised how crisp it was. It's a smaller trigger than one on a 1911 so it does feel different.