New Micro to the range today - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

New Micro to the range today

Took my new Micro shooting today. Kind of mixed results.
When it worked it worked great.
First few mags it didn't lock open on last round.
That went away after several mags.
Then it started to fail to chamber the first round when I released the slide.
No, I didn't do that slowly. Sling shot it but....round seemed to nosedive.
Usually was able to overcome this by holding down the slide lock and slingshotting. Then the round would chamber. Guess the site doesn't like my terminology.
I also found that the ammo I was shooting, Sig flat nose ball wasn't compatible with the Kimber.
It also didn't like Sig HPs.
It did work better with Hornady Critical Defense.
Disassemble the unit, did find the barrel was pretty dirty. This was after 125 rounds. The feed ramp was coated with residue.
Decided that wasn't going to improve until I cleaned it.
Did take out my Sig P238 HD, thru which I fired everything the Micro wouldn't take. Not a single issue. Also the extra weight of the HD makes shooting it a pleasure.
Guess after a good cleaning and selection of ammo it'll be back to the range.
I also had used a Magguts in one of the magazines I had for the Micro. It did fine except the slide would lock open after 7 rounds with the eight still in the mag.
Not too uncommon from what I could find. But then I used it in the Sig....no problem. Have to go shooting again soon.
I live in AZ. Was great all summer....noone at the range but now....snobirds back. Lot more people.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Sig P238HD
Sig P239
Sig P320SC
Sig P320-M17
Sig P938
Sig P365MS
Sig 1911
Colt New Agent
Colt LE6920 (2)
Ruger LCPII
Ruger MK4
Ruger 10-22
S&W Shield .380 EZ
trident is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #2

In many ways, this sounds like the usual break-in period. And yes, you can have magazines that "stutter" and over time start to feed reliably.

Just like any metal part, the inside of a magazine might have rough edges that drag when the spring is pushing up a new round.

I recently saw a feature in some handgun magazine (I'm sorry, I do not remember which one) where the author numbered his magazines to see if he could locate problematic individuals. After all, I was taught that if a pistol starts to hang up, then 90% of the time it's the magazine.

If everything is okay there, carefully rub the feed ramp to check for rough areas. This could be as simple as a slight machining oversight.

Good luck. Let us know what you find!
trident likes this.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #3

"Sling shot it but....round seemed to nosedive. Usually was able to overcome this by holding down the slide lock and slingshotting".

Bend the front end of the mag feed lips inboard - a little bit goes a looonng way.

"I also had used a Magguts in one of the magazines I had for the Micro. It did fine except the slide would lock open after 7 rounds with the eight still in the mag".

Too much upward pressure on the slide stop. Check to see if the mag sidewall is bumping it due to insufficient clearance.
trident likes this.
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #4

I don't have a Micro but I have an Evo and from what I have read here, their ammo preferences are remarkably similar. Although issues with the Micro seem to be much more common, it could simply be there are way more of them out there.

Anyway ironically the ammo you listed (Sig and Hornady CD) is what my Evo hates most. Mine will run most everything else like a champ, Hornady XTPs, Nosler, Gold Dots etc.

While I don't think your issues are entirely ammo related, I do think different ammo will help.

The core issue is likely as Jim and Tourist suggested, magazine related or magazine fitment.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #5

I had problems with flat nose ammo in my Micro .380. One nice thing about using flat nose ammo, however, is that you’ll get plenty of practice clearing jams. There is some merit to that!
trident likes this.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Try 90gr Hornady JHP XTP or Underwood JHP XTP.
JimCunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #7

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
I don't have a Micro but I have an Evo and from what I have read here, their ammo preferences are remarkably similar. Although issues with the Micro seem to be much more common, it could simply be there are way more of them out there.

Anyway ironically the ammo you listed (Sig and Hornady CD) is what my Evo hates most. Mine will run most everything else like a champ, Hornady XTPs, Nosler, Gold Dots etc.

While I don't think your issues are entirely ammo related, I do think different ammo will help.

The core issue is likely as Jim and Tourist suggested, magazine related or magazine fitment.
+1
Mari41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #8

I did dig thru my ammo supply. Found some Federal Range, Target, Practice ammo.
Loaded several mags and was able to chamber the first round with no problems at all.
Also tried the same thing with Hornady Critical Defense and again had no problems chambering the first round.
My problems while on the range were mostly with the first round. Have to get back there and see how the different ammo performs.
Sig P238HD
Sig P239
Sig P320SC
Sig P320-M17
Sig P938
Sig P365MS
Sig 1911
Colt New Agent
Colt LE6920 (2)
Ruger LCPII
Ruger MK4
Ruger 10-22
S&W Shield .380 EZ
trident is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #9

Our Micro Carry 380 likes the American Eagle stuff.......
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #10

Guess I have a good Micro , it's a flawless shooter , loves the Sig Vcrown ammo. Maybe try the "toothpaste" trick to help accelerate the break-in of the metal to metal contact areas.
Road_Clam is offline   Reply With Quote