Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Mark 40
  • 3 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By Mark 40
  • 2 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #1

Micro 380 Desert Tan and the first range trip

Received the new Micro 380 in Desert Tan yesterday and went to the range today. Cleaned and oiled per manual prior to going.

Shot 21 mags worth of 380 ammo, Americam Eagle and Fiocchi FMJ.
I counted 9 times that the slide locked back mid-stream thru a mag. No pattern, happened just randomly during a string of firing. Happened with both brands of ammo and with all three mags.

Took her home cleaned it up, used Flitz on the slide/rails and cycled a couple hundred times. Hoping for a better result next time. Won't worry till I hit 400 rounds or so.

In addition the battery for the laser grips fell out. When I compared my DC model to the DT model, the new DT is missing a small plastic retainer piece that holds the battery in. Called Crimson Trace and the are sending the part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg P1070004.jpeg (424.8 KB, 4 views)
Elapid, Markie, cousinmark and 2 others like this.
Mark 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #2

Just a few thoughts, you may want to compare the slide stop spring with the one in your other Micro that runs well? Perhaps its deformed and could be bent into shape? The other would be to switch magazines (if you haven't) and see the problem occurs in the other Micro?
Markie, motormac and Mark 40 like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #3

Thanks cousinmark, I'll check the spring. Have rotated the mags, however a new one arrived today and we'll see how that one functions. Plan to put 150 rounds down range tomorrow, stay tuned.
motormac likes this.

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Article I, Section 21, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

Life Member: SAF and CCRKBA

Old 01-08-2020, 07:44 PM   #4

You're welcome, may want to closely examine the slide stops themselves and see if the one from the problem pistol looks any different? Good luck
motormac and Mark 40 like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #5

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
You're welcome, may want to closely examine the slide stops themselves and see if the one from the problem pistol looks any different? Good luck
I couldn't discern any difference.....

Range trip yielded the same results, about half the time the slide would lock back at random times and all mags affected.

Called Kimber CS and explained; they've authorized an RMA. So time will tell. Will check back in when it arrives back home.

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Article I, Section 21, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

Life Member: SAF and CCRKBA
Old 01-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #6

I think you are doing the right thing to send it back and have it checked out. I may have run a few more rounds through it (~500) to see if it broke in. My Micro 9 didn’t become “flawless” in terms of ejection and slide action until I had run about 600 rounds through it. Since then, absolutely no issues. Good luck getting it sorted.
Global Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:49 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Global Shooter View Post
I think you are doing the right thing to send it back and have it checked out. I may have run a few more rounds through it (~500) to see if it broke in. My Micro 9 didn’t become “flawless” in terms of ejection and slide action until I had run about 600 rounds through it. Since then, absolutely no issues. Good luck getting it sorted.
Mark 40 and Global Shooter - Been there, done that with my first Micro, different issue, though. I believe I fired at least 1000 rds through my Micro .380, maybe more, trying to break it in, and/or determine if the mags, ammo, or gun was at fault - all before returning it to a Kimber 3x. That was a mighty expensive venture, counting my range time and ammo. Yes, I had some fun along the way, but for what these Micro .380s cost, it seems like they all should function like a Glock right out of the box. But, I knew there were problems with the Micros prior to buying mine. I rolled the dice and lost.

I like my 2nd Micro, but it has not been 100% reliable either. It’s better than the first one that a Kimber graciously replaced. The Micros have the potential to be great carry guns. Kimber should have spent more time working out the bugs in their Micros, rather than messing around with the Evo, in my humble opinion.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote