Failure to feed, failure to eject - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #1

Failure to feed, failure to eject

I have a new Kimber Micro Carry. With about 400 rounds on the clock, I am experiencing either a failure to feed, or a failure to eject on about 4 rounds out of 40. This occurs after 60 flawless rounds. After that the Compact Carry gets a bit dirty and I can notice that the slide seems to slow a bit. At that point I am more likely to see FTE or FTF faults.

After cleaning the gun, everything works fine again.

I am wondering if a slightly stronger recoil spring (11 lbs vs 8 lb stock) might help.....or is this gun just going to be prone to problems once it gets a little dirty.

Interestingly, Kimber Customer Service told me that there is no break in on these guns because the Micro Carry is considered a "back-up" gun, and not designed to be shot much. They consider heavy usage anything over 30 rounds.

All my guns get shot often and regularly see 100 rounds in a session. I expect to be proficient an familiar with all my firearms....especially if these are going to be carry guns.

The Micro Carry is a very nice shooting gun and plenty accurate for a small gun, but it must also be 100% reliable; particularly if it is going to be my deep concealment carry gun.
Spotly likes this.

Last edited by bkhann; 10-31-2015 at 05:15 PM.
bkhann is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It just might be a case of really dirty ammo, what are you shooting?
Old 10-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

I am not telling you that you should do this, but I take a small bottle of hops gun oil with me every range trip and if my gun looks as if it's getting a little dirty or I am shooting several rounds, I give them a little drink. Just an idea.

Chuck43, Hoffbrew and Markie like this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #4

I have suspected the same thing after shooting 90gr PMC ammo. It seems after sustained shooting, approx 100 rounds or more, I noticed similar results as yourself. I noticed also that if I am shooting 95gr or plus I do not have that issue.
I have come to the same conclusion as yourself. I keep it well oiled and shoot 95 gr FMJ or 102 Gr. Golden Saber JHP. Have not had an issue sincce.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #5

I am shooting 100 gr RNHB plated bullets with 3.8 gr Power Pistol C.O.L. 0.94".

I guess that as a self defense gun, it will always be clean and I will be shooting Federal 380 HST ammo.
glokrok likes this.
bkhann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #6

It seems after sustained shooting, approx 100 rounds or more, I noticed similar results as yourself.
Same here. I have found that the Micro is very sensitive to dirty ammo and fouling. If you're going to shoot a lot of ammo through it on a range trip, then be prepared to clean it several times at the range. My magic number seems to be 100 rounds. That is when the problems start which include, FTF, slide not returning to battery and slide not locking back after last round fired. This is the only handgun I have ever owned that has these issues which is probably why it has been given "safe queen" status until I can dump it.

Edit (11/4).... Heading out to the range in a while to see how my Micro performs and give it another chance to redeem itself. Hopefully the slide lock problem is nothing more than a weak mag spring which I hope to prove today. Also going to do a range cleaning after every box to hopefully prove the other issues were nothing more than excessive fouling from dirty ammo (Blazer Brass). Wish me luck.

Edit (11/8).... Yes bkhann. Looks like the little Micro is just one of those guns that likes to be clean. I managed a quick range trip and shot another box of Dirty Blazer Brass. The gun performed great, no FTF, no sluggish slide and it also loved the couple of mags of Remington HP's! Of course it didn't get too dirty after only a box of ammo. I did continue to have the slide lock problems on 2 of my 4 mags (one extended and one standard) but I think I can live with that.

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-08-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

Well Hoosier my Micro will guarding one of my safes. One of biggest disappoints in all my handgun buying. Mine FTFs no matter what ammo or how clean it is. The only thing it has better than the Sig P238 I bought at the same time, is the trigger. I've sent it off to a gunsmith to polish any thing that needs it and change the sights. Ask him to fire a few hundred rounds thru it and see if it's something I'm doing. Hope I can take it out of the safe.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois misfit. Why didn't you contact customer service and return the gun to Kimber? I hope you realize that by having a gunsmith polish the internals you've just voided your warranty.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

Keep hearing remarks about " if the gun won't reliably shoot anything I feed it" and now "if the gun won't shoot reliably after it gets dirty from shooting 30 or more rounds at the range" it is only good for gun safe queen duty.
In this case and most others we are talking about small " micro" guns designed for easy/pocket concealment as a carry self defense weapon.
They are not and never were designed as extended range use.
If these guns perform flawlessly as long as you use the proper ammo and keep them clean, then they meet their intended purpose as they are indeed reliable when used as they were intended to be used.
I fully understand that there may be some guns out there that are not reliable under any circumstance but I believe these are the exception and not the norm.
If yours is one of these I feel for you, but if the gun does not perform to it's designed purpose simply because you refuse to use appropriate ammo or maintain your gun in proper operating condition I don't believe you have a legitimate complaint.
Chuck43 likes this.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #10

new micro vs new p238 bought 03-17-2016

My micro has same issue but my wife's p238 shooting same ammo no problems. My micro grip screws are coming out at the range and have lost one.. Mine has been this way just bought 03-17-2016 have only put couple hundred rounds through at range twice. Never buy one again maybe get me a sig p238
that won't fall apart and FTE etc. The price of this firearm is way over the quality. The p238 is exactly the same gun but has different spring
assembly maybe that is issue. Kimber should look at fixing the problem and quit claiming it is dirty weapon. This is not an operating room situation.

Oh yeah wait I need to oil my weapon before you shoot me what a Joke!
Red1217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
failure to feed kimber micro carry

kimber micro 380 failure to feed

kimber micro 380 feed problems

kimber micro 9 failure to eject

kimber micro 9 failure to feed

kimber micro carry 380 problems

kimber micro carry problems

kimber micro failure

Click on a term to search for related topics.