Racking the slide - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

Racking the slide

I just bought a new Micro Carry, and I've noticed that when I rack the slide, it seems to rack back in "stages". I'm no gunsmith, but it seems as though it may be getting slightly caught on the extractor.

Is that supposed to happen? It sure feels clunky and less than polished.

The extractor has some side to side play. Also normal?

On occasion, the Micro doesn't return fully to battery. The slide will stop its forward travel prematurely. I figured it just needed more oil or perhaps the rails got gummed up after 100 rds or so. But I'm starting to wonder if the clunky slide action is to blame.

Anyway, I'm new here and I really love this pistol so far. I'd just like it to work 100%.
streets ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #2

Welcome aboard. Have you field stripped it and cleaned all the factory crap out then lube properly? Are you riding the slide into battery or letting it snap? Don't ride the slide. Rack and let go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JC45 likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:31 AM   #3

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Don't ride the slide. Rack and let go.
I would add that this is only with a round being fed. It's hard on the lock-work to let a slide snap back (or dropping the slide by thumbing the release when locked open) without chambering a round.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois streets ahead and congratulations on the new Micro Carry. The proper way to chamber a round is to sling shot the gun. Pull the slide fully back and release it being careful not to impede the forward motion of the slide. Any roughness you're feeling will eventually smooth out as the gun gets broken in. I would recommend cleaning an lubing the gun after every range visit and if you're shooting dirty ammo (IE Winchester white box) a little extra lube every 100 rounds or so will help.
Markie and JC45 like this.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

Streets Ahead, welcome from Northern Illinois. Good advice from all. Keep it wet and clean,and run through the break in period.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #6

Thanks for all the advice. I've cleaned it thoroughly after every session and I've put ~500 rounds through it, so I figured it'd be broken in by now.

So I played around with it a little last night. When I begin to rack the slide backward, it slides nice and smooth... up until about the halfway mark. Then it's as though it hits some thing. Pulling the slide more rearward is more difficult.

I tested the slide smoothness by putting the slide on top of the rails without the barrel and recoil spring/guide rod assembly. Around the halfway mark, it still hits resistance, and when I move the slide back further, there's so much friction that the slide won't move at all without a firm press. This test was conducted on a completely clean and lubed pistol.

I don't know what the actual problem is, but mechanically, it's as though the slide grooves toward the front end of the slide are not as deep as the grooves to the rear. That would explain the sudden friction and "gripping" of the slide, but I've no way to test that theory.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Super Moderator

If the gun's functioning properly at the range and not giving you any problems then you can either let it go or give Kimbers customer service a call and discuss your concerns with them.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern
Old 12-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

I think when the gun is completely clean, the recoil overcomes this additional friction and allows the gun to function correctly. But once it gets 50-100 round's worth of residue, the recoil can't deal with the extra friction and fails to return the slide fully forward.

I just bought a Sig P238 last night as a Christmas gift for my girlfriend. The slide is night and day. Completely smooth all the way forward and back. Since it operates the same way, I've got my answer. There's definitely a problem with my Micro.

I'll give customer service a call, and when this is resolved, I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum...my wife's Kimber had a few problems at first...we found out what ammo it likes and keep lubed. She fired 50 rounds yesterday to qualify, no problems.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The proper way to chamber a round is to sling shot the gun. Pull the slide fully back and release it being careful not to impede the forward motion of the slide.

Chuck! That's quite a definitive statement. How about "there are many ways to chamber a round, one of which is..."

Another way worthy of consideration is to hold the gun sideways close to your chest. With your weak hand, grasp the slide. Then with your strong hand, push the gun forward, effectively moving the slide backward on the gun. Keep pushing the gun forward, ripping it from your weak hand and bringing it onto target. As soon as the slide leaves the slide, bring it forward to complete your two-handed grasp.

This method reduces the number of movements, is faster, is more fluid, and it keeps the gun close to your body where it will be more protected from your aggressor.

To Streets, the OP, I wouldn't worry about it. There are several things going on as you rack the slide. I'm holding a 1911 in my hand right now, and the first thing that happens is you're compressing the recoil spring and pushing the hammer back against its own spring. The further the slide goes back, the more the recoil spring gets compressed, but you also gain a mechanical advantage over the hammer as it goes back. Then the barrel unlocks and rotates down. You'll feel the new round pop up. If you're extracting a round, you'll feel it hit the ejector. There's just a whole lotta stuff going on. It will get smoother as the gun breaks in. Under-lubrication will exacerbate the symptom and isn't good for the gun.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
1911 slide hard to pull after 100rds

kimber micro slide stop on initial rack

kimber micro slide wont go all the way forward after firing
kimber micro wont slide all the way forward with round
kimber raptor pro hard to rack
kimber release slide without round
kimber solo hard to rack
slide racking force on a kimber micro
Click on a term to search for related topics.