Micro Carry issues - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Unhappy Micro Carry issues

My Micro was love at first shot for me. After that first day on the range everything has gone south. FTF, FTE, FTRTB, and the slide locking to the rear with ammo still in the clip. The first call to Kimber the rep told me a lot of people have called with issues and that the recoil spring replacement was the usual cause; so they sent me a new spring which changed nothing. Second call to Kimber they told me to send it in. They also told me the smaller the pistol the more room for error. Great. After 3 weeks I got it back saying all they did to it was replace the recoil spring...again and that it shot fine. I brought it to the range today and 30-40 rounds in the nightmare started again. FTF, FTRTB. I called Kimber and they suggested I try a different oil. I informed them Id been using a good one including the one they included with the purchase. The CS rep was at a loss for words and now it is being sent back a second time. Has anyone else heard of the brand of oil being a cause for so many issues? My buddy uses hi-temp grease for his Ultra Carry and has never had a single issue with it. The CS rep I spoke to was nice but in a way it felt like he was taking me for a ride. I told him that at this point I do not trust this pistol to protect my life. He said they do not offer refunds but they'd make it right. Incase you couldn't figure out I am beyond frustrated and I feel like I bought a $1k paper weight that UPS and Yonkers sees more than myself. This is my first pistol and first Kimber. Any advise/ suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for listening too.
cousinmark likes this.
semperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #2

Keep us informed about how this plays out. Sorry, but I have no good advice.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #3

What mags are you running in it? The standard 6 round that came with it? You might try a Sig P238 6 round mag and see if the problems stop. Mine took 250 to 300 rounds to break in the mags and get it going all the way into battery on the first two rounds.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2016, 01:54 AM   #4

I have a bunch of 7 round mags I got from from Kimber. I have put well over 700 rounds threw it although Kimber said there is not a break in on the Micro. With the pistol, mags, holster, and differnt ammo testings I'm in about $1,500 already.

Last edited by semperfi; 01-09-2016 at 02:01 AM. Reason: add more
Old 01-09-2016, 03:21 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about these issues. I myself would not be happy after spending all that money. I only sent a gun back to Kimber once but from what other members say, Kimber has excellent customer service. I hope it all works out for you.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

When I called Kimber about my wife's Micro failure to completely chamber rounds the first question he asked me was what oil I was using.
After I told him I used Hoppe's #9 cleaning solvent and oil he told me it sounded like the spring and is sending me a new spring.
Not encouraging that the new spring didn't work for you.
If we can't get it to work right for us I'm not sure what we would change over to in a "Micro" type.
The new Micro 9 doesn't come with night sights and we would like both night sights and laser grips.
My wife didn't have any problems shooting my Solo DC LG, in fact she liked it.
So far my Solo has worked without a problem ( except the eight round magazines ) so if we can't get her Micro to shoot right we might consider a trade for a Solo.
I'll keep everyone updated on our Micro's progress also.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

I hate to suggest this, because there's no science to this at all. That's because the idea came from my father--an engineer. You know, the guys that always claim to be right, and if the world would just surrender we could all live in peace and sign "Kumbaya."

The suggestion works for me, and I hate the very idea. I hate engineers!

Buy yourself the biggest can of non-toxic contact cleaner you can find, the picture is the toxic kind I no longer use.

Detail strip your pistol as far down as you feel comfortable. Go outside to a tree or clothes line and hang up the pieces of your Kimber. Spray them down until hell won't have it. Then take one of those military toothbrushes and scrub the crap out of it. Then spray it again until the frakking can is empty.

Then find the slipperiest whale-shit you can find, (I use Tuff-Glide for these chores) lube responsibly, and fire your pistol until your cuticles bleed.

*sigh* Here's why I hate this. My dad told me that often things can be "fixed" by taking them apart, cleaning them, and re-assembling them. There could be a minor piece if grit that has lodged in a crucial area.

No other than Terry Tussey told me I had the cleanest guns he had ever seen!

Sometimes my dad was right.

005.JPG
Old 01-10-2016, 02:50 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Trex View Post
When I called Kimber about my wife's Micro failure to completely chamber rounds the first question he asked me was what oil I was using.
After I told him I used Hoppe's #9 cleaning solvent and oil he told me it sounded like the spring and is sending me a new spring.
Not encouraging that the new spring didn't work for you.
If we can't get it to work right for us I'm not sure what we would change over to in a "Micro" type.
The new Micro 9 doesn't come with night sights and we would like both night sights and laser grips.
My wife didn't have any problems shooting my Solo DC LG, in fact she liked it.
So far my Solo has worked without a problem ( except the eight round magazines ) so if we can't get her Micro to shoot right we might consider a trade for a Solo.
I'll keep everyone updated on our Micro's progress also.
The fact that the company is asking about oil brands used sells says a lot. A $1K micro pistol should shoot flawlessly with the cheapest oil on the market. The fact that they are even asking about oil brands is retarded. I have better things to do than keep sending this thing back. A pistol this expensive should work flawlessly without a specific oil or ammo. As a matter of fact it should be able to take creepiest Walmart garbage has to offer. I have decided to give up on the Micro and I will trade it for a Glock 43. I have shot the Hell out of 3 different 43's and have zero issues in each one. The 1911 platform was not made for a small size and I would avoid the Micro. Its just advise kids.
RustyIron likes this.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:50 AM   #9

I've got a BMW Z4 that I bought for the wife a few years ago. The manufacturer says to use only synthetic oil and premium gas. For what I paid for that car I don't mind using expensive oil and gas if it's going to make it run right. Just because it won't run well on regular gas and cheap oil I'm not going to traded in for a Volkswagen. You got a nice pistol and you paid good money for it; don't throw it away just because you're a little frustrated right now. Kimber will fix it; let them get it tuned up and then use the good stuff with it. You're not going to carry cheap ammo when you're using it for conceal carry so what's a few extra dollars just to break it in. Don't give up on it so easily because Kimber wont give up on it. Give it another chance. You'll be glad you did.
Go ahead and buy the 43 but keep your micro.
Marshall likes this.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:58 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
I've got a BMW Z4 that I bought for the wife a few years ago.
You bring up a very good point. While we are gun guys, I think the ideas of "customer service vs. lemons" is pretty much of a universal problem.

Two examples, I once owned a 1974 Harley made by AMF, the bowling ball people. I also quit selling Zero Tolerance knives. In both cases the disconnect was the corporations were not attentive to the complaints of customers.

Kimbers cost money, and when you shell out +1,000 bucks you expect the thing to work. Granted, even I am leery of some of their products even though my life depends on one of their UC2 models.

I do follow the manual and the spring rotation protocol, and I look for quality ammunition when sales present themselves. But I also clean the pistol, because I did have an initial problem with dirt and lubrication.

A Micro is a piece of metal with holes drilled into it. Not all of them are going to be good.
Chuck43 likes this.

Search tags for this page

kimber 380 micro magazine problems

kimber issues quality reliability recalls

kimber micro 380 recall

kimber micro 9 7 round magazine

kimber micro 9 clups

kimber micro 9 extended mag problems 2017

kimber micro 9 problems

kimber micro carry problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.