Micro spring and bumper pads. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 05:42 AM   #1

Micro spring and bumper pads.

I've been looking for bumper pads for the 6 round mags with no luck. I'm thinking about dremelling something just thick enough to get a solid seat but I'm not sure how to attach it. Anyone here done this? Would also like to go with a flat spring but not sure how realistic that is with this design.
Chuck43 likes this.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

If you're talking about the Micro Carry recoil spring, you could try one from a Sig P238. When Sig first came out with the P238 they were experiencing similar problems that some owners of the Micro Carry are having. One of their answers was to go to a Flat Wire Spring. I tried to find the weight rating for the two springs and I haven't been able to do it yet, I'm going to guess that they are similar and should work.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #3

I believe the Micro Carry spring is 8 pounds. I've ordered two springs that will fit - one at 11 and the other at 12 pounds. As per one of your previous posts though, I'm going to try out the flat spring and so the one from the Sig sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Our county library has a 3D printer so I'll see if I can find a pattern for bumper pads and modify to fit.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan

Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #4

...do have a spare

I'll be curious to hear how the new springs work out. I've seen a few mentions of Colt mustang springs (I think they're 12lb) being used and doing well. There is a thread here where comparison photos of a disassembled Sig and Micro are side by side. I think its in the photo area? The Sig spring is much longer, haven't seen anything about them being tried? One thing that occurred to me was that the Sig guide rod has a groove milled into it to ride the barrel as opposed to being round like the Kimbers. From what I've seen all of the other Kimber 1911s have the groove in the guide rod. I wonder if swapping both could be an option?
My original stock recoil spring went around 600 rounds, I've ordered the 3 pack of stock replacements.
Chuck43 and Spotly like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Flat wire springs are generally longer then round wire springs but the fact that the wire is flat it allows the spring to compress more. I run flat wire springs in my 4" and 5" 1911's, they are more expensive but their life it 10 times longer then round coil and they operate smoother. I've been questioned by guys that own and shoot the same guns as me as to why my guns feel smoother then theirs.
Spotly likes this.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

Zoomy was offering some base pads to anybody who needed them; you could grind them down and sand the end smooth the flat end and then use a good contact Cement. Back in the old days they used to sell them with the peel and stick and they would last quite a while. Once you got them to size and glue them onto the metal base. You could then drill a couple of small holes all away through the pad and the base plate and then find the proper screw that would fit in that hole and tap into the metal base plate. The drillbit you use for the first hole needs to be a little bit smaller in diameter than screw you going to use. Then drill only through the base pad with a drillbit slightly larger than the screw you're going to use. Then countersink that hole so that the screw head will be recessed. After you put the screws in slide the base pad out and make sure that they are flush on the inside by grinding down necessary. OR, Sig seven round P 238 magazines. I have them for my P 238 and they are really nice. However Sig is very proud of their magazines for 40 to 50 bucks apiece.
Spotly likes this.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #7

... food for thought

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Flat wire springs are generally longer then round wire springs but the fact that the wire is flat it allows the spring to compress more. I run flat wire springs in my 4" and 5" 1911's, they are more expensive but their life it 10 times longer then round coil and they operate smoother. I've been questioned by guys that own and shoot the same guns as me as to why my guns feel smoother then theirs.
... Thanks Chuck, as the Sig spring looked so much longer I was thinking the Colt option could be a better "plan B". I'm optimistic that she'll be returning from her visit to the "BIG APPLE" in a good mood? You hit the nail on the head when you likened these to women by the way :-) If not, I'll be happy to spend a few $ on a flat wire spring if that makes her happy???
Old 01-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Zoomy was offering some base pads to anybody who needed them; you could grind them down and sand the end smooth the flat end and then use a good contact Cement. Back in the old days they used to sell them with the peel and stick and they would last quite a while. Once you got them to size and glue them onto the metal base. You could then drill a couple of small holes all away through the pad and the base plate and then find the proper screw that would fit in that hole and tap into the metal base plate. The drillbit you use for the first hole needs to be a little bit smaller in diameter than screw you going to use. Then drill only through the base pad with a drillbit slightly larger than the screw you're going to use. Then countersink that hole so that the screw head will be recessed. After you put the screws in slide the base pad out and make sure that they are flush on the inside by grinding down necessary. OR, Sig seven round P 238 magazines. I have them for my P 238 and they are really nice. However Sig is very proud of their magazines for 40 to 50 bucks apiece.
... for what it's worth there are a number of heavy duty double sided tapes on the market. Any sign shop should have some on hand and should work?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #9

Flat wire spring

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
If I replace my stock recoil springs in my Raptor and my Eclipse with flat wire springs do I need to replace the guide rod also because of the
diameter of the flat wire spring?

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Zoomy was offering some base pads to anybody who needed them; you could grind them down and sand the end smooth the flat end and then use a good contact Cement.
A local friend just offered up some good material stock. It's a hard black composite of some kind and a hair less than quarter inch think, which is perfect for what I'm envisioning. I'll probably go with a thin layer of glue initially.

Thanks!

Search tags for this page

kimber micro 9mm spring is backwards

Click on a term to search for related topics.