Micro Carry DC - Range Report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #1

Micro Carry DC - Range Report

I picked this up on Thurday and it was hard waiting till today to try it out. I did spend the time getting to know it better though. I read and re-read the manual just to be sure I didn't miss something. I tore it down and inspected all the parts and pieces. The only thing I noticed is that the slide lock had a little bump/burr on the shaft, which didn't seem like it was in a spot where it should matter for anything. The night sights are very bright. I have tritium sights on a few other guns and these are the brightest of the bunch. The grip pattern is a little different than what the Kimber website showed but still nice and super grippy. I gave the gun a thorough cleaning and lubed as per the guide, which leaves it pretty wet.

The range wasn't busy today and thankfully no one was shooting their ARs - even with plugs and muffs, those rattle my brain if I have to stand next to them for too long.

Sooo, the plan was to shoot a box of each brand with a clean and lube in between.

Fiocchi: 50 rounds. Flawless. Good grouping.
American Eagle: 50 rounds. FTF X1.Failed to slide lock X4 (out of 7 mags). OK grouping.
Blazer Brass: 50 rounds. FTF X2. Failed to slide lock X3 (out of 7 mags).
Harnady CD: 25 rounds. Flawless. Excellent grouping.

The slide lock issue may be my fault though the smith thought it was the ammo. I'll be more attentive to where my stong side thumb is resting next time. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the results for the first trip out. The gun is a tac driver and I know the Fiocchi and Hornady will work. If I had had issues with these "better" brands (JMHO), I might have been disappointed. The Blazer Brass results were not unexpected. The American Eagle....never had problem with the brand in my larger guns. My Sig ammo is due to arrive on Monday, so I'l run a couple of boxes of that through it next weekend.

I did notice when cleaning that the recoil spring has gotten distorted/bent (can see it in the pic below). It still seems to seat OK. I plan on trying out the heavy (12 pound) spring next time and with the Blazer Brass to see if it makes a difference on how that stuff runs.

Micro Carry DC with G10 grips, ambi safety and night sights:

The G10 grips have a wood grain look and feel very "grippy" in the hand:

Disassembled:

Six pound spring (bottom). Twelve pound spring (top):

I shot a total of 175 rounds of fourdifferent brands of ammo:

FTF:

21 feet with rest:

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Nice range report and great pictures Spotly.
Spotly likes this.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #3

Awesome range report and love the grips....
Spotly likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #4

Good job on that report and the pictures Spotly.
Spotly likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #5

Thanks. I've heard it's not considered a real range report without the pictures.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Old 01-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

... nice shooting Spotley :-)

Good range report, glad some of the ammo ran well. Next time you order, get some of the Fiocchi extrema (xtp bullet) if they have it. I found it to run perfectly and have seen it rated really well both through denim and not. Have a few questions if I may?
... Is that the Micro that was sent in a few times, or did they replace it?
... Any idea when the spring flaked out?
... and where did you get the #12 spring?
Again, nice shooting man. I can get groups like that with my Marlin 39A but not quite there yet with the Micro :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

I picked up the Colt spring through Wolff. Not sure when the spring went south - I just noticed it while cleaning after getting home. It is not the same pistol.

As far as the shooting, that was all gun and no Tim there. I just draped it over the rest. My groups at 21' were far less impressive.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

thanks Spotley

I don't know, but I think your a little closer to the proverbial 10,000 hours of practice than I am? Will be looking forward to hearing how the hop shop spring does. My Micro was returned on Thursday, it was in to have the night sights installed and be checked over as I was having problems. My spring went bad (a little worse than yours) but in that same area. I'm in Raleigh (need any ice?) for work this week through tomorrow so I won't be able to see the report or shoot till Monday.
Take care :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #9

Based on my experience, I'm very confident that they'll take care of you. The spring thing is strange. Guess it'll be worthwhile having extras on hand. Someone here owns a Micro and it's Sig cousin..was hoping to hear if the flat spring/rod set from that would fit the Micro.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #10

Nice shooting and thanks for the range report.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
fiocchi in kimber micro carry
kimber micro carry dc

kimber micro dc

kimber micro dc grips
micro dc kimber lg
Click on a term to search for related topics.