1/25/16 range report :-) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

1/25/16 range report :-)

Well my Micro made it back from Kimber last week, I was out of town so couldn't try her out till today. I had night sights installed as well as a good checking as there were various bugs, Kimber had her for about 2 1/2 weeks. I had ordered some ammo ( the Foicchi that has worked well) this must be a different series as it came in a red box. The pic on the website was the blue box ( said the pic may not be accurate ) but as it was listed at 95gr FMJ I presumed it was the same stuff I'd used. On the Kimber packing slip it states that they:
...replaced recoil spring and slide stop
...reamed and polished the barrel chamber
...refinished the barrel
...adjusted the extractor
...test fired 3 mags of Pierce 100gr RNHB and 1 mag of Winchester Train and Defend 95gr

Things went really well, the sights are well worth it for me. As far as shooting I ran 100 rounds of the red box FMJ with zero problems, 50 of the Fiocchi blue box basic hollow points, I think it was 90gr which shot well but did have 2 fail to feed the first round when dropping the slide. Chambered the round fine when using the slingshot method? This had happened previously with Winchester target ammo ( had a flat tip bullet as well )? The Fiocchi XTP ammo has never been a problem by the way. Did find that recoil spring bent afterwards.
Here's a few pics :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9500.JPG (3.01 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9501.JPG (3.49 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (93.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (100.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (144.8 KB, 9 views)
Chuck43, 2sharp2, glokrok and 4 others like this.

Last edited by cousinmark; 01-25-2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add info
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #2

Thanks for the range report Cousin and I'm happy to hear mostly everything went well...

Nice looking Micro btw...

Marshall
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Well, that is a great outcome. I've followed your posts and was interested in how Kimber would respond. It would appear that Kimber addressed the issues with good results. I am happy for you. Thank you for a detailed report with pics.
GoingSolo and cousinmark like this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #4

thanks Marshall

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
Thanks for the range report Cousin and I'm happy to hear mostly everything went well...

Nice looking Micro btw...

Marshall
...Yup, I can live with ordering the ammo she likes, and Kimber seems to have given her the class A spa treatment. I guess she's not a stripper with an std after all :-)
I had ordered an extra 3 pack of the springs, so I have a spare. I'll be watching to see how Spotley does with the Mustang spring he has? His factory recoil spring on a new Micro crapped out in the same area at about the same amount of rounds? For now I bent this one back into shape.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

Very happy to hear the Micro is working well for you.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #6

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
... I'll be watching to see how Spotley does with the Mustang spring he has? His factory recoil spring on a new Micro crapped out in the same area at about the same amount of rounds? For now I bent this one back into shape.

Is that the flat wire spring? I'd be curious as to whether it will work on the Micro also.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #7

Excellent report. Looks nice with the new sights. Sounds like the Fiocchi is the way to go. Mine did well with the too. I'll let you know how the 12 pound spring and Sig ammo work out. Would REALLY like to know if that Sig flat spring and rod will fit...kinda pricey to order without knowing. Glad yours is performing better.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Is that the flat wire spring? I'd be curious as to whether it will work on the Micro also.
... Hi Trex, I believe the one Spotley has came from Wolff Gunsprings and is a traditional type. They offer an #11 and #12 listed to fit the Mustang models. I did find a flat wire option through Galloway Precision that is also listed as a Mustang option (can't get the links to attach?) there is not a # mentioned for that one?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Did find that recoil spring bent afterwards.
This may be a dumb question, but is it possible the recoil spring was put in backwards? The reason I ask is the closed end is supposed to go into the guide rod. It seems unlikely that the spring could get bent like that when that end is kept straight by the rod. Where if the closed end was forward I could see it shifting to one side or the other when compressed and getting bent. Just a thought!

BL
cousinmark likes this.
BL1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

The Sig spring will fit over the micro guide rod but I don't know how it functions yet.