sig flat woung recoil spring in micro - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #1

sig flat woung recoil spring in micro

i purchased sig p238 flat wound recoil springs for my micro.

spring fit onto the guid rod fine. but when attempting to assemble the slide components barrel then recoil spring with guide rod i was not able to get the guide rod all the way in seated on the barrel falling short by probably a few thousandths. this is due to the flat wound spring thickness. where the spring enters the front of the slide while pushing the guide rod forward the guide rod would not enter the hole in the slide due to the thickness of the spring. this could be why the sig guide rod is not round like the micro.

however,

if you install the guied rod and spring assy first and fully compress the spring you can sneak the barrel in. same with dissasembly compress the guide rod fully sneak the barrel out then release compression on the spring. once barrel and recoil spring in place no issue with slide function.

weight of the sig springs i purchesed the spring kit comes with 3 recoil springs and 3 fireing pin springs.

i tested the weight of the kimber spring and the 3 sig recoil springs using the lyman trigger pull gage on the front of the slide moving the slide to 1/16" away from its full rearward position.

kimber spring was 8 lb 5 oz.

sig springs averaged 10 lb. 8oz.

too much snow to go shooting but will shoot with both kimber and sig springs. and access function of both.

as a side note the sloopy barrel lock up is not there with the sig spring in place.
nethinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #2

thanks for posting :-)

... That's good to know, especially the fact that it cured the looseness in the barrel. Now just for the range report :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

Originally Posted by nethinim View Post
i purchased sig p238 flat wound recoil springs for my micro.

spring fit onto the guid rod fine. but when attempting to assemble the slide components barrel then recoil spring with guide rod i was not able to get the guide rod all the way in seated on the barrel falling short by probably a few thousandths. this is due to the flat wound spring thickness. where the spring enters the front of the slide while pushing the guide rod forward the guide rod would not enter the hole in the slide due to the thickness of the spring. this could be why the sig guide rod is not round like the micro.

however,

if you install the guied rod and spring assy first and fully compress the spring you can sneak the barrel in. same with dissasembly compress the guide rod fully sneak the barrel out then release compression on the spring. once barrel and recoil spring in place no issue with slide function.
We must have pictures! ha! Please?
BL1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

Is one end of the sig spring tapered like the micro spring is? If not, is there enough wiggle room (where it rests on the large end on the guide rod) that it could move out of center. Or is it a snug fit around the rod?

Thanks for this info - very useful?

EDIT: I meant "Very useful!" not "very useful?"
Chuck43 likes this.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Spotly; 01-29-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

not tapered

the sig spring is not tapered and their is maybe a 64th" i measured .228" on guide rod and .240 on I.D. of spring (od .335) so it really has nowhere to move. also uncompressed oal is 3.30"

the kimber spring's id is .300 and the od is .360 with approx. .030 wire the kimber spring has more play to and would be more susceptable to "moving" than the sig spring.uncompressed oal 2.30"

not good at pictures
nethinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #6

Thank you. I'm heading to the range today to try out the Sig ammo. Might pick up the flat spring regardless of results.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #7

Update on spring?
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:32 AM   #8

Perhaps the firing session was not all that was expected with the Sig springs in place. I have three P238's and a Micro as well, all of the pistols operate reliably as they are so i have no need to swap springs or other parts, my biggest issue is which do i carry each day......and what about the P 938 in the safe next to them (or the G42 for that matter). Decisions, decisions, life is so challenging.
Ibmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #9

I have a Micro and a P238 and both are working well enough that I don't think I'll monkey with the springs. Well, at least not for now. The Sig gets a performance A+; the Kimber gets an A-.

I would like to hear range reports after spring swaps. My gut tells me the the micro needs at least a 9# spring ...and what's up with the old school round wire srings?! No body uses those anymore...except my premium priced Kimber.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Donald View Post
I have a Micro and a P238 and both are working well enough that I don't think I'll monkey with the springs. Well, at least not for now. The Sig gets a performance A+; the Kimber gets an A-.

I would like to hear range reports after spring swaps. My gut tells me the the micro needs at least a 9# spring ...and what's up with the old school round wire srings?! No body uses those anymore...except my premium priced Kimber.
Sig used round wire when they first came out and learned the hard way, now it's Kimbers turn.

Search tags for this page
flat spring kit for 9mm kimber micro

kimber flat spring

kimber micro recoil spring

new sig spring kimber micro

p238 spring in kimber micro
sig flat spring
which direction do uou assemble the kimber micro 9 spring
wolf spring for kimber micro
Click on a term to search for related topics.