Range Report! Post Warranty Work - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Range Report! Post Warranty Work

Two and a half weeks ago we returned my wife’s Micro Carry STS to Kimber. Before we sent it in she was having two or three failures per magazine! I reported to Kimber three problems: 1) Slide Stop falling out; 2) failure to feed and 3) hammer follows slide. We had about 600 rounds on it.

We got it back today! The paperwork said they replaced the slide lock and the recoil spring. They shot 3 magazines of American Eagle 95gr FMJ and 1 magazine of Sig 90gr JHP during their testing. The gun had not been cleaned. Before going to the range I did NOT clean or lub the gun. I wanted it in the same state it was when they tested it.

Range Report: We alternated American Eagle 95gr FMJ and Sellier & Bellot 92gr FMJ each magazine. We also alternated between my wife and me. We both shot a magazine of each ammo before switching. We shot 12 full magazines, so 72 rounds. We had 2 FTF total (pictured below), one stovepipe and one hung on the ramp. Both of those were the last round in the magazine, one was American Eagle and one was S&B. Of the 12 magazines, 5 times the slide did not lock back after the last round. Oddly 4 of those were American Eagle. So 4 of the 6 magazines of American Eagle the slide did not lock back.

So all in all pretty good results! The slide lock stayed in place. No “hammer follows slide” failures. The two FTF on the last round doesn’t seem too much out of the norm. Not sure what typically causes the failure to lock the slide, but we will just have to keep an eye on that.

BL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0293.JPG (1.20 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0290_2.JPG (1.07 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0291_2.JPG (1.24 MB, 8 views)
cousinmark likes this.
BL1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Better but still not right. Clean and lube generously after about 100 rounds. Do this through a couple hundred more rounds and report back.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, bhunted and 1 others like this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #3

... just a thought

Thanks for posting BL, sorry things didn't go 100% for you. Like Islander said, a good cleaning and a few more rounds will be telling.
I'm far from an expert but in thinking about it a few things occurred to me that you may want to consider.
The first is your grip? These little guns do require for it to be pretty firm. Next time out, no offense to Mrs BL, but run the first 50 yourself to eliminate that potential variable. Focus on keeping your wrist "locked", try to absorb any recoil at your elbow. The less recoil you absorb, the more energy for the gun to use to cycle.
Second would be to check how well the slide locks with an empty magazine? With an empty magazine inserted, the slide should always lock out solidly when you rack it. With it locked out, push on it a little? It shouldn't slip, try with both mags. Also, compare the mags to see if the followers sit at the same position when empty? A weak spring in one could make it more likely for there to be a FTF on the last round?
I hope those thoughts help to get that squirrel out of the tree :-)
... post how things go next time out, good luck.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2016, 06:49 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice, cousinmark and Islander! Yes, it could very well be her grip. Both FTF were with her. When she first got the gun last fall she would regularly have FTF but I would shoot it without problems. We have a female friend who is an instructor that has worked with her some. On the slide not locking, we always used the same magazine for the American Eagle, so it could be related to that. I did the tests you suggested and it worked fine. Once it locks on an empty mag there is no way it is being pushed forward. Maybe I should give the magazines a good cleaning.

Nice sunny morning here. Maybe we'll get out and put a few more rounds through it.

BL
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
BL1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

BL, you are heading in the right direction given your prior problems. Sample some more types of ammo to see if you get different results. I agree with CMark that your grip can influence more than just accuracy. It could influence FTFeed or FTE issues. I am kind of new and learning myself. You could also alter the lube or how you lube after cleaning the gun. I read some amazing stories regarding how the type or amount of lube can affect gun performance.

Keep us posted on your new trip to the range.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Banned

Weeks ago there was a link to a video, of a guy who shot 1000 rounds from a Kimber in about an hour. Pushing the pistol hard, trying to make it fail. He was not successful.

Perfect functioning of 1000 rounds in as fast as the pistol will cycle, should be your minimum standard of acceptable reliability.

Of course he was shooting a full size 1911. IMO, these little pistols are notorious for having problems. YMMV...

Last edited by montanaResident; 01-30-2016 at 10:31 AM.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
Weeks ago there was a link to a video, of a guy who shot 1000 rounds from a Kimber in about an hour. Pushing the pistol hard, trying to make it fail. He was not successful.

Perfect functioning of 1000 rounds in as fast as the pistol will cycle, should be your minimum standard of acceptable reliability.

Of course he was shooting a full size 1911. IMO, these little pistols are notorious for having problems. YMMV...
Was this the video M.R. ??

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Banned

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
Yup. Pretty expensive test (~$400). Glad he did it for us all to see.
Marshall likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

My limited experience with the little Micro is it needed a lot more lube than you would think and a very firm grip.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #10

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
My limited experience with the little Micro is it needed a lot more lube than you would think and a very firm grip.
Just following the lube requirements in the manual leaves it dripping.
BL1911 likes this.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote