Bel Air range report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #1

Smile Bel Air range report

I had the opportunity to get my Micro Bel Air to the range and wanted to share my experience. I shot 150 rds of three types of ammo: Winchester Target & Defend FMJ flat tip 95grn, Federal Champion 95 grn FMJ round tip, and Winchester WhiteB target FMJ flat tip 95grn. With this trip I have fired 300 rds total. Performance was better on this second trip to the range. I am much more pleased.

Two weeks ago, on my first trip I experienced 3 FT return to battery, 3FTfeed, and 2 FTE on 150 rounds most of which was with PMC FMJ 90 grn ammo. I had some Win White box target with me also, but most of the problems where with the PMC as I recall. I believe 2 of the FTFeeds were a result of my inexperience racking the slide for the first round.

I included a few pics of my range that is located below a man-made lake and target results. The poor shot grouping is probably more of a function of my poor shooting skills than the gun’s capability. I did not take any photos of the FT problems. I should consider that on the next trip for documentation purposes.

I want to note that when I cleaned the gun before this event I believe I used slightly more lube than before. This is very subjective and difficult to measure, but I believe the gun was a little more ‘wetter’ on this trip.

On my second, the Win T&D 50 rds had 1 FTfeed mid mag., the Win white box target 50 rds had 2 FTfeed during mag cycling with two different mags (one 6rd and one 7rd), the Fed Champ 50 rds was perfect.

What did we learn thus far from this limited experience?

• Perhaps the Micro is getting broke in, and thus performs better
• The Micro performs better as the operator gains experience
• Federal Champion 95grn FMJ with ROUND tips maybe better than RNFT of the other two brand of ammo
• 95 grn maybe better than 90grn ammo
• The sample size is small and there are several variables involved that makes drawing any definitive conclusions rather nebulous at this time.

What are your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160128_144915.jpg (2.91 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20160128_155055.jpg (2.07 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20160128_153141.jpg (2.26 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20160128_145018.jpg (4.50 MB, 7 views)
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

Hey Donald, It's good to hear things improved. You're probably correct on all your points. I would lean in the ammo direction, I've found the the round profile stuff to do best too. The XTP hollow points have been perfect. If you can find the Sig Elite or Fiocchi FMJ I'll bet she'll like them :-)
... looks like pretty nice shooting by the way :-)
Cucamonga kid and Donald like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

Are you right handed? I ask because that looks like my groups; low and left. My wife is a south paw and her group is low and right; so it's not the gun it's us. Got to get it figured out. It is a very common phenomenon. I've even heard of folks complaining about the sights being off and blaming the gun not technique.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

Nice looking range, and, oh, the shooting was pretty good as well. Sounds like it is settling in. Give it a good cleaning, oil it up and as previously suggested, try some of the other brands of ammo.
Donald likes this.
Jflytle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

...maybe this will help?

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Are you right handed? I ask because that looks like my groups; low and left. My wife is a south paw and her group is low and right; so it's not the gun it's us. Got to get it figured out. It is a very common phenomenon. I've even heard of folks complaining about the sights being off and blaming the gun not technique.
... I had seen a version of this on a thread but can't recall where? Here's an alternate version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th-1.jpeg (13.6 KB, 10 views)
Donald likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #6

Cousinmark, I like those targets I think it's a good idea
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Yep, same here.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments and recommendations. Yes, I am right handed. I do plan to try some XTP, Sig and Fiocchi as I experiment with digestible ammo. I have seen that placement chart. I agree it is useful and yes I think I jerk the trigger. Bad habit that I need to correct. I'll update everyone on my next range adventure.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #9

Big fan of XTP in most calibers. It feeds 100% in my Micro.
Donald likes this.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Big fan of XTP in most calibers. It feeds 100% in my Micro.
Chief, I'll definitely give it a try. Say, did you see my make-shift range bag in the one pic? It's my old USN flight helmet bag. The darn things last forever. LOL

Last edited by Donald; 01-30-2016 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Spelling