Heard From Kimber on Break-in Ammo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

Heard From Kimber on Break-in Ammo

I haven't been a member here very long, but one thing that I have seen are a number of posts about "FTF's" and other ammo related issues on new Micro and Solo Kimber pistols. I am still waiting to receive my ordered Micro Carry 380, so decided to contact Kimber to ask for their recommendation for breaking in my new Micro Carry 380. Here is a direct quote from their response today:

"We use 95 grain FMJ for our production test ammo. We see good luck with factory ball 95 grain ammos such as Federal, Remington, Winchester, and Speer."

I'm not sure if this information will help anybody or not, but thought I would pass it along.
bhunted, Hoffbrew and speedydg13 like this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #2

Talking

Originally Posted by Cybercycle View Post
Here is a direct quote from their response today:

"We use 95 grain FMJ for our production test ammo. We see good luck with factory ball 95 grain ammos such as Federal, Remington, Winchester, and Speer."

I'm not sure if this information will help anybody or not, but thought I would pass it along.
Actually that is very useful information. Thank you. It confirms my limited, personal ammo testing. My Micro ate 50 rds of Federal Champion fmj RN 95gr.....flawlessly. I experienced a few ftf with others I tested. So that Federal type works for me.

I'll have to try the others recommended.
Cybercycle likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum Cybercycle. Definitely plan on trying a few types of ammo. I'm fairly new to semi autos myself but am learning :-) I have noticed that some have had problems with ammo that has worked fine for me? Ammo that didn't work for me has done well for others? It appears each gun may have it's own favorite? Keep in mind too that the issues you see mentioned here may not wind up happening. There are several members here who have not had any problems with any ammo. As far as "break in" goes, the folks at Kimber have told me that there really isn't a recommended traditional one for Micros. They're supposed to be ready to roll. To me that does defy logic though and I noticed mine loosened-up after a few hundred rounds. Give her a good cleaning and lube and see how she does.
... will be watching for the range report, good luck :-)
Cybercycle likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome, cousinmark. Agree that using several types/brands of ammo is the right thing to do, and I plan to do just that. You are right about each gun having its own "nature" and may not be like what others experience. I had that exact experience with a S&W Shield (9mm) that wouldn't feed and had one of the worst triggers I've ever seen...I no longer own it. I'll report back when I get my Kimber and give it a test drive.
cousinmark likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #5

Beak-in Ammo. Reminds me of the old days when you got a new car. It had "break-in oil." You weren't supposed to drive over 50 mph for the first 3 months; then change the oil to regular. Just a lil ole history lesson. But thanks for the info.
byern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
Super Moderator

From page 66 of the owners manual.

Ammunition selection
Kimber firearms are designed to function
effectively with quality factory-manufactured
ammunition in the caliber for which the firearm
is chambered. Kimber recommends the use of
high quality American-made ammunition. Follow
all instructions and warnings on pages 39-44
regarding ammunition.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #7

I use 95 and 100 grn with no issues. Not one and l grip it as tho it was a 1911.
Chuck43, swca and Donald like this.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #8

Originally Posted by glokrok View Post
I use 95 and 100 grn with no issues. Not one and l grip it as tho it was a 1911.
As to what I see locally on the shelves there is a lot of 90 and some 95, but in what manufacturer or where are you finding 100grn? Online vendors? Reloads?

As to your firm grip comment, you are right on the money! One cannot soft handshake the Micro Carry like its a .22lr pistol or something similar.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Donald View Post
As to what I see locally on the shelves there is a lot of 90 and some 95, but in what manufacturer or where are you finding 100grn? Online vendors? Reloads?

As to your firm grip comment, you are right on the money! One cannot soft handshake the Micro Carry like its a .22lr pistol or something similar.
Hey Donald, I've been getting the Sig Elite FMJ 100gr. I've found it on the shelves in stores but it costs a little less online. I believe 102gr is the heaviest bullet made for .380 and is offered by Remington, I haven't tried it.
BL1911 and Donald like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #10

Question

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
From page 66 of the owners manual.

Ammunition selection
Kimber firearms are designed to function
effectively with quality factory-manufactured
ammunition in the caliber for which the firearm
is chambered. Kimber recommends the use of
high quality American-made ammunition. Follow
all instructions and warnings on pages 39-44
regarding ammunition.

Chuck, thanks for the manual quote and the reminder on what the Kimbermeisters tell us. But, frankly I don't find that very helpful.

I mean what manufacturer out there does not brag about their "high quality" whether they are USA made or not. How are we to differentiate vendor's quality? This tends to be so subjective from my limited experience. To use the phrase, "high quality American-made ammunition" is so generic as to be rather useless IMHO. Sure it leaves out the Bubba's pole barn reloads and the Lama Blaster ammo from outer Mongolia, but is rather weak practical advice. I think their attorney's wrote this section of the manual and not their engineers. I think a more practical guide is our forum's collective experience. I think.
Spotly and Cybercycle like this.

Tags
ammo

Search tags for this page

best 380 ammo for kimber

best ammo for kimber micro 380

kimber 1911 break in procedure
kimber 1911 break in process

kimber 380 ammo

kimber micro 380 break in

kimber micro 380 recommended ammo

recommended ammo for kimber .380 micro
Click on a term to search for related topics.