Is it really that bad (Micro 380 Owners Please) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #1

Is it really that bad (Micro 380 Owners Please)

Greetings! I知 pursuing either a Kimber 380 micro or a Sig P238. for inside the pants pocket carry. I won稚 bore ya値l with why these two are the only finalists. After all, since I知 asking for owner comments ya値l have made similar decisions, right?

I知 interested in the Kimber for only two reason that the Sig doesn稚 address; I prefer the looks of the polished slide & aluminum frame w/Rosewood grips, and the Kimber is lighter. But that interest is offset with a seeming mountain of reasons to run from Kimber. Micro owners, I seek your comments:

1) I only know one person w/a Kimber 1911. We call it the 笛am-o-Matic. (just saying)

2) I知 not sure I want to spend money w/Leslie Edelman. (Guess not much to comment on)

3) While the internet is awash in complaints by its nature, the amount of negative customer experiences w/the micro seem to be overwhelming. (I知 asking Micro owners for their out of the box experience.)

4)Recoil springs appear to last just slightly longer than a banana痴 shelf life. (How many of you are using the P238 spring? Does that get you 800+ rounds with total confidence?)

5) What痴 this about 杜y Micro doesn稚 feed XYZ ammo?? My azz. I know Glock and Smith have spoiled me, but this isn稚 gonna be a safe queen, and I don't want to own a gun that has a princess complex. (Can one be made to run any reasonable choice of ammo with 99.9% reliability?)

6) I require a green Crimson Trace grip active laser that mounts in front of the trigger. This is due shortly for the Sig. (Anybody know if the Sig trigger mount laser fits the Micro? Its been shipping in red for years. CT seems to not know.)

7) The anti-Kimber sentiment about Kimber of today, from gun quality (so not just the Micro) to customer service is almost visceral. They appear to have been a quality gun once, now maybe not (I知 asking Micro owners for their customer service experience, and their confidence that after being worked on once by the 田ustom shop it became a combat class weapon. Combat being any new ammo, any time, any conditions, 99.9% of the time.)

My apologies for the negative sounding email, I can only say I'm attempting to give the Micro a break that research suggests it's not due.

My thanks!

Fish
dfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Fish, being a Sig P238 owner and not a Micro Carry I'll step aside and let the Micro Carry boys chime in.

FYI, I bought my Sig P238 a year before Kimber thought of bringing out the Micro Carry.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

We have a Micro Carry here...love it. They are like anything else, just need a little care. My wife qualified with hers recently using American Eagle, FMJ. They need a good break in...oil down and let her go. I shot it last week using various types of 380, no problems what so ever. I have a M and P Bodyguard 380 which I love also...it eats everything. Almost forgot, welcome to the forum...
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Markie; 02-11-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

I like my micro carry. It's not a jam a matic, it is reliable and accurate. Lasef pointer might be nice but I dont see a need - personal preference. It likes brass casings over aluminum or steel. I'd buy another.
Chuck43 and cousinmark like this.
thom9mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from Ohio Fish. I don't own either of the handguns you are inquiring about, but I am a Kimber owner. I think you'll get a more honest opinion of Kimber and their customer service here then you will elsewhere. The majority if not all of our members actually own Kimbers rather then just repeating what others say trying to appear knowledgeable. Good luck in your search.
Chuck43 likes this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum. The wife and I each have P238s. Her EDC is the Rainbow flavor and mine is the Nitron. Both have been perfect since day one as has been my P938. I got her a Micro Belair for Christmas and we took it to the range last week and it ran great. Only about 50 rounds though. Going out tomorrow for another 50 or so depending on the weather.
As for the laser guard: if you have one for the Sig it will not fit the Micro. Close but I didn't dare to force it. My advice is forget the 238 and spring for the 938, it's only a tiny bit bigger but twice the horse power.
Chuck43, Spotly and streets ahead like this.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Almost 400 rounds thru my Micro. Batting a thousand with 100% perfect feed, fire and eject.
Tactical Pro II almost 500 rounds. The very first round loaded got hung up. Cleared the jam and been cooking 100% since.
Does not get any better than that.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #8

My wife and I each own Kimber micros. Both have worked great out of the box but you cannot limp wrist them. I read all the negative reviews before purchasing too but also realized there are just as many positive reviews out there. I try to keep in mind most people go to the net just to complain. Not many go to praise.
glokrok likes this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #9

I've had two Micros. Love the customer service. I'd go with the Sig, preferably the 938. That said, I do see another Kimber in my future. But going with the Micro gives you a reason to be part of this excellent group so that's something else to consider

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #10

... stick with your glock

Originally Posted by dfischer View Post
Greetings! I’m pursuing either a Kimber 380 micro or a Sig P238. for inside the pants pocket carry. I won’t bore ya’ll with why these two are the only finalists. After all, since I’m asking for owner comments ya’ll have made similar decisions, right?

I’m interested in the Kimber for only two reason that the Sig doesn’t address; I prefer the looks of the polished slide & aluminum frame w/Rosewood grips, and the Kimber is lighter. But that interest is offset with a seeming mountain of reasons to run from Kimber. Micro owners, I seek your comments:

1) I only know one person w/a Kimber 1911. We call it the “Jam-o-Matic”. (just saying)

2) I’m not sure I want to spend money w/Leslie Edelman. (Guess not much to comment on)

3) While the internet is awash in complaints by its nature, the amount of negative customer experiences w/the micro seem to be overwhelming. (I’m asking Micro owners for their out of the box experience.)

4)Recoil springs appear to last just slightly longer than a banana’s shelf life. (How many of you are using the P238 spring? Does that get you 800+ rounds with total confidence?)

5) What’s this about “my Micro doesn’t feed XYZ ammo”?? My azz. I know Glock and Smith have spoiled me, but this isn’t gonna be a safe queen, and I don't want to own a gun that has a princess complex. (Can one be made to run any reasonable choice of ammo with 99.9% reliability?)

6) I require a green Crimson Trace grip active laser that mounts in front of the trigger. This is due shortly for the Sig. (Anybody know if the Sig trigger mount laser fits the Micro? Its been shipping in red for years. CT seems to not know.)

7) The anti-Kimber sentiment about Kimber of today, from gun quality (so not just the Micro) to customer service is almost visceral. They appear to have been a quality gun once, now maybe not (I’m asking Micro owners for their customer service experience, and their confidence that after being worked on once by the “custom” shop it became a combat class weapon. Combat being any new ammo, any time, any conditions, 99.9% of the time.)

My apologies for the negative sounding email, I can only say I'm attempting to give the Micro a break that research suggests it's not due.

My thanks!

Fish
... any of the Colt Government .380 clones are NOT combat weapons. The original Colt .380 was I believe issued to officers who were NOT in combat situations. These guns are NOT designed for HEAVY range use either (more frequent cleanings and less spring lifespan) Any of them can be tuned to run fine and do what they're intended to do, conceal well and if need be, bail your a$$ out of a bind in an unlikely emergency. In other words, If there is a LIKELY probability that you will need to defend yourself with a firearm you should look at a 1911 with a 4+ inch barrel or better yet a more MODERN striker design. If you continue your research "google up" "problems with (insert the small pistol of your choice)". You'll find the SAME problems occur with all of the "little beauties"
... for what it's worth any issues I've had with my Micro have happened after firing several magazines, if she's clean there's never been a problem running the first mags. Any problems I did have seem to have vanished with break in and a "spa day" in Yonkers :-)
... again, although I'm happy with my Micro, if wanted to run 500 rounds at the range or needed a weapon for a "high risk" situation, I'd bring something else. Just my opinion :-)
Hope that helps Fish
glokrok, The Colonel and Eixam45 like this.

Last edited by cousinmark; 02-11-2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: add info
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kimber, laser, micro 380, p238, reliability

Search tags for this page
kimber 380. cartridge jam s
kimber micro 380
kimber micro 380 bad
kimber micro 380 failure to return to battery
kimber micro 380 issues

kimber micro 380 problems

kimber micro carry 380 problems

problems with micro. 380
Click on a term to search for related topics.