leap year range report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #1

leap year range report

...had the 7 round magazines from Kimber show up this afternoon and was wanting to try out the Wilson Combat spring test with the Wolff 12#er so...
I put a few drops of the Breakthrough oil on the rails, installed the Wolff and off I went. The spring test did fine, loaded one round in a known good mag, held loosely, fired and the slide locked each of 7 times. I brought 100 rounds of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ (red box) and 25 of the Hornady 90gr XTP. All went well except for an instance about 40 rounds in where there was "no bang". Slide appeared to be fully returned, there was a round in the chamber but trigger didn't fire the hammer? This was at about 5 rounds into one of the new 7 round mags. I cleared the round and reloaded it, everything went fine through the rest of the Fiocchi. I only brought a 25 round box of the Hornady and had one instance where the round wound up pointing up rather than seating in the chamber. I had marked the mags and this was the same mag where there was a problem earlier and also 4 or 5 rounds deep? I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if problems could be mag related? This is out of the box, I didn't load them and let them sit at all? I did notice that the extended mags will move a little. If you hold the extended part and the frame I'm going to guess about 1/16" of play. When shooting I was not really consistent with where I was keeping my pinky on the extension of the new mags? That's my excuse for the lateral drift in the shots :-) This is at about 25'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (1.81 MB, 5 views)
Markie and Snake15 like this.

Last edited by cousinmark; 02-29-2016 at 08:52 PM.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #2

Mark, so from your experience thus far do you recommend the Wolf 12# spring? I am unsure from your report. Have considered the 11# wolf spring?

I purchased 3 7rd mags. They seem to work just fine and I enjoy the extra round and the feel of the large base plate. I have 5 mags at this time.

I really like the Sig P238 7rd mag even better. It has a larger base plate with a forward 'spur' that works well with my pinky. How do I know? Well, since the Colt Mustang mags fit our Micros, I bought a Sig 7rd mag for a P238 mistakenly hoping it would work. Regretfully, it does not It.
cousinmark likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Super Moderator

The Sig 7 round mags should work in the Micro Carry, if it doesn't check to see if the plastic on the base is hitting the frame. On some mags you have to trim them a little.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The Sig 7 round mags should work in the Micro Carry, if it doesn't check to see if the plastic on the base is hitting the frame. On some mags you have to trim them a little.
Good guess Chuck, that's exactly the problem.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Good guess Chuck, that's exactly the problem.
That wasn't a guess, I know that for a fact.
cousinmark and JC45 like this.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #6

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Wow, Chuck, I hope so. I did not do any modification to the Sig mags. The Sig mags just drop out of the Micro. Even if i hold the mag in, the snap cap i tested with would not load into the chamber. It stayed in the mag. I was feeling sad. Sig mags are about double the cost of the Kimbers. I felt i wasted my money on that cute Sig 7 mag.

Do you have specific trims instructions/ link?
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
Super Moderator

No video's or anything like that, the plastic has to be trimmed a little so the magazine can be fully inserted into the frame and it locks in.
Donald likes this.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Cousin Mark thats nice shooting. Remember, pushing or pulling will mover you right or left, rather simple. To much finger on the trigger? Squeeze evenly until the weapon fires. Try pulling very slowly all the way until it fires, very slowly. Watch the barrel and see if you notice it moving laterally, might help. Also, try holding your two hand grip at the low position and slowly raise up to center of mass and slowly fire, then lower again and come back up on target and slowly fire after acquiring center of mass. Might help.
cousinmark likes this.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Donald View Post
Mark, so from your experience thus far do you recommend the Wolf 12# spring? I am unsure from your report. Have considered the 11# wolf spring?

I purchased 3 7rd mags. They seem to work just fine and I enjoy the extra round and the feel of the large base plate. I have 5 mags at this time.

I really like the Sig P238 7rd mag even better. It has a larger base plate with a forward 'spur' that works well with my pinky. How do I know? Well, since the Colt Mustang mags fit our Micros, I bought a Sig 7rd mag for a P238 mistakenly hoping it would work. Regretfully, it does not It.
...Hey Donald, haven't tried the 11#, I've been doing really well with the stock 8# last few times out. I had the 12# and wanted to check it using the Wilson test I mentioned. According to the results it's not too strong so the 11# should be fine. Next time out I 'm going to switch back to the 8# and see how it goes. I do think the heavier options would be better for any +P ammo.
...Like Chuck mentioned those Sig mags will work with some trimming. You may be able to line up your 6 rounder with the 7 and see where the hang up is?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #10

...Thanks Snake

Originally Posted by Snake15 View Post
Cousin Mark thats nice shooting. Remember, pushing or pulling will mover you right or left, rather simple. To much finger on the trigger? Squeeze evenly until the weapon fires. Try pulling very slowly all the way until it fires, very slowly. Watch the barrel and see if you notice it moving laterally, might help. Also, try holding your two hand grip at the low position and slowly raise up to center of mass and slowly fire, then lower again and come back up on target and slowly fire after acquiring center of mass. Might help.
...good advice, I will try to employ those ideas next time out, I'm off tomorrow :-) I think some of it has to do with switching back and forth between the 6 and 7 round mags. Just sticking with one or the other would probably help a bit too :-)