My First Kimber...Disappointment! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

My First Kimber...Disappointment!

So I figured I would start this thread since I was kind of hijacking some other posts. I purchased my first ever Kimber last week. A Two Tone Micro Carry .380. To be honest this gun is really meant for my wife but once I held it I was content to "share" it with her, even though I would much rather carry a 45. Anyway I had honestly been planning to get her a Colt Mustang Pocketlite but found this Kimber for the same price. I have always thought of Kimber as a top of the line "high end" manufacturer and have known many people with full size Kimbers that loved them so I didn't really think twice about it when I saw the price on this gun. One thing to note was that when I was buying this the guy behind the counter brought out the same gun but a newer version and said that the one I was taking was the last one of the "old model" and asked if I wanted to take the newer one for the same price. I didn't really care for the grips on the newer model So I went with the "old" one. Maybe that was where I went wrong.

Anyway this Saturday I took it out to the range with a box of factory Winchester FMJ ammo. I was able to get through that box with only 2 FTF's which already concerned me. I then tried a few other brands of ammo and for some reason the mag started dropping out of the weapon after every shot. I basically went through another box of 50 rounds with a single shot gun that refused to keep the mag in the well after each shot. At first I thought maybe my thumb was hitting the mag release but that was clearly not the case after I began to shoot it one handed with my thumb clearly away from the mag release. No I'm left with a weapon that I clearly, at this stage, cannot trust to put in my wife's hands and don't know if she ever will after this.

Because I did not want to bias myself about this gun I did not read to much on it before taking it out because I wanted to get an honest feel for it. Now I wish I had read up on them a bit more. I did have the gun well lubed and it was clean to start with. After the first box of ammo it was definitely getting a bit dirty but I would expect to have to clean a gun after only 50 rounds to keep it running well.

Needless to say I'm very disappointing in this gun so far. So what do I do now? Well I ordered a 7 round Kimber mag since my wife wanted the pinky extension so I', thinking about cleaning the gun real well and trying that mag to see if I can reproduce the issue. Also everyone says Kimber has great customer service and they will make it right which I'm sure they will but why should they have to? I get a lot of crap for carrying my original Springfield XD 45 but that thing has several thousand rounds through it and has NEVER had a single malfunction. Now I know that's not an apples to apples comparison but come on, don't they have any quality control at Kimber these days?

Anyway that's my experience so far.
AZFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Hang in there and call Kimber after you put a few more rounds through it and it will act up every time. That way when you sen it back no one can say it didn't act up. Yes I understand your frustration and you right you should not have to send it back but after you do you should love it. Good luck
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #3

image.jpeg

Mine jambs every 2-3 rounds. Kimber is sending a new recoil spring.
Can't even tell you what I think about the Solo. Really I can't I mean it; I made a New Years Resolution. 🤐
Marshall, Hoffbrew and cousinmark like this.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

I can see why you would be frustrated. I have a Micro and love it, despite a few FTF and a few fail to return to battery in about 300 rounds. I am still working on that and what ammo works best. But, I never had a mag fall out. Does it only fall out at the range or also when racking it with snap caps at home?

I trust Kimber will make it good no matter.
Markie likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

I'd send her in?

The mag dropping on it's own is a new one? Sorry to hear that. If you can avoid going nuts while you hold for a CS rep :-) Get an RMA and let them check everything over. For what it's worth my Micro doesn't care for the Winchester ammo that I've tried. Your problem sounds to be more of a "YONKERS" thing though. Let them give her the spa treatment :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Donald View Post
I can see why you would be frustrated. I have a Micro and love it, despite a few FTF and a few fail to return to battery in about 300 rounds. I am still working on that and what ammo works best. But, I never had a mag fall out. Does it only fall out at the range or also when racking it with snap caps at home?

I trust Kimber will make it good no matter.
I never tried it with snap caps but I have tried everything else to make it come loose and cant, its only when it fires.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
The mag dropping on it's own is a new one? Sorry to hear that. If you can avoid going nuts while you hold for a CS rep :-) Get an RMA and let them check everything over. For what it's worth my Micro doesn't care for the Winchester ammo that I've tried. Your problem sounds to be more of a "YONKERS" thing though. Let them give her the spa treatment :-)
Yeah the Win. ammo actually acted the best out of the 3 I tried. I have some aguila I haven't tried yet.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

Could be just the mag, buy a spare and run that and see if you still have problems. All my problems of not going fully into battery was the stiff new mags she works every time now. Could be a miss stamped mag making it drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #9

I don't think there is any difference of whether you bought the old or "new version" of the Micro. Other than the different looking grips I am not aware of any "design improvements" for the Micro.
As far as the magazine falling out. You must slap that baby home and make sure it is seated.

My limited experience with the Micro resulted in it needing a lot more quality lube than normal. I mean pretty wet. Use quality round nose ammo.
Markie likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #10

Sorry no first hand experience with the micro. This is just hearsay, I have read the Winchester white box is not the cleanest ammo out there. Your micro may have been pretty dirty if you used the Winchester first.The blue box Fiocchi seems to get the best write ups. The mag issue does not sound like an ammo issue though. I like Alberts idea of taking another mag with you and see if the problem still is there. Give it a good bath and give it a second chance. Then call Kimber if the problem is still there.
Chuck43, Hoffbrew and Markie like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

pinky kimber micro 7 round clip

Click on a term to search for related topics.